what should be in every tech bag?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
JJR512 said:
Umm... I'm just trying to get some advice on about how much a complete setup would cost, so I can know what to plan for. I'm not sure what the problem is, or even if there is a problem...?

There is no problem, I'm just not going to share my finances.

Just buy what you need, and put it in the bag.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
ksEMTbabe said:
I hope you have wheels on your super kit TTLWHKR....and a little backup beeper. It's a good thing we don't carry that much stuff in one kit - I'd be knocking things over left and right trying to get into a house.

I keep two shoulder straps on it, and wear it as a back pack. I don't think it is either bulky or heavy. The Pacific packs we use at NW are much heavier. At work, I'm expected to carry in the ALS pack, an O2 bag, monitor and airway pack all at the same time. So 25 lbs isn't much.

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
Stevo said:
anyone do the turkey baster thang? :)

~S~

Why not?? cheap fast and it works.

Oh, TTLWHKR, I have something like you have, only difference is mine has lights, siren and a 7.3 liter diesel engine:p

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
TTLWHKR said:
There is no problem, I'm just not going to share my finances.

Just buy what you need, and put it in the bag.
Whatever, man. You already shared about the bag price, so...whatever.

Can ANYone offer some advice on what a similarly-equipped package might cost, ballpark estimate? $250-300? $300-350? $350-400? $400-450? $450 or more? I'm getting a decent tax refund this year, and will need to set some of that aside for this, and just need to know about how much to plan for. You see, I'm not yet certified, therefore I don't yet know what I'll need, but I need to start planning or saving now, so I can get what I need when I am ready for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
i had a big bag, but after i took a CC course the instructor was in to a minamalist sort of thing, so i had a fanny pack for a while. Then the fanny pack didn't cut it when i first responded to a multiple car/patient deal (the rig was at the e.r.) , so i went back to the big bag.

But then i worked my way into 3 vehicles , an a bike, so i only had the bag 1/3 of the time

maybe i should just stand around and beg for help....?

don-the-beggar.gif

~S~

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry, what's a CC course?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Critical Care, or Critical Trauma Care , they've called it different things over the years. The jist was to mitigate events with very little equipment...

For instance one's finger(s) (first & ring) are a BP cuff....

iirc a certain early variation came from Montana...

~S~

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
JJ- don't pay retail for anything. Check out EBAY. Do a search for EMT or EMS and check out what comes up. There are TONS of bags listed and that my be the best way to get a good ball park figure.

You can get a basic First Responder/BLS bag with most everything your going to need for under $150.

Just do some searches. Unless your striving to be a Whacker, along the lines of Alex, you don't HAVE TO HAVE all that stuff.

Its up to you and what you want to spend. You can spend $100 and get the basics to get you by until the responding units get on scene, or you can spend $1000 and still have everything you need to get you buy until the responding units get on scene.

Since your not certified yet, you still have time to do the research.

As far as Alex not wanting to tell you about his finances...him telling you how much he spent for the bag (which the cost of can easily be found by going to the companies website) is entirely different than not laying out how much he spends to keep himself well supplied.

Personally, I have a small bag with some bandages/dressings, splinting material, BVM, gloves, scissors, and a few other things that I cannot think of right off. It works for me in this area.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
........................ double post oops delete me

Last edited by a moderator:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
¡Ay caramba! I'm going to have to make a new subfolder in my Favorites... :)