What shape should EMTs/Medics Be In

fireemslife

Forum Ride Along
Im not saying that their should be yearly fitness tests or anything like that but I think that we should all be in decent shape b/c we all know we do a lot more physical labor than the public thinks. I'm in pretty good shape being 18 I lift and run. What do you guys think?

NREMT08

Forum Probie
Well, I am an EMT, and I have started running, and lifting weights because I am trying to pass the agility test, to get onto the fire academy, honestly, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't, I don't like running, I don't mind lifting weights, but it's not my favorite thing to do, an I hate pain, so after a crap load of squats, I am not the most sociable person to say the least, but I am doing it because I want to make it into the academy, so...theres my itty bitty .02

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
If you want a long as healthy as possible career you should exercise, and if you will be working fire, being physically strong sure helps a lot. It's easy to see on the fire ground who the lazy ones are and what engine/ladder companies spend work time and personal time doing PT.

EMS you will need to lift patients, use rescue tools, lift gurneys, respond all hours pof the day in high stress environments with little to no sleep. So yes weights and cardio would be a goo idea.

Fire- all of the above plus, hose lays, hose lays and more hose lays followed by reloading hose. Wearing a 35lb pack and 25 lb's of gear, while dragging a charged hoseline or carrying tools, pulling drywall and plaster. If you are not in shape, it will show. Then clear the call, start to relax and the tones drop to go help a little old lady who fell in the shower, and do it with a smile on your face.

RESPONDA

Forum Probie
Gotta do it!

I have begun to cycle again on my mountain bike. This is on a main road with a lot of trucks and vehicles in general. Some think I am crazy, but I am still here, and I feel sooo good afterwards. I can walk fast, but am not allowed to run, which is a real downer for me. I have changed my eating habits as well. If I am going to do this fitness thing, I have to do it the right way.

Responda

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
You dont have to be a bodybuilder, but you have to be fit enough to lift and carry.

In my area that I work in, we deal with a lot of patients that need to be carried down stairs as the lifts arent working or there aint any. (Now with our newly introduced load shedding, its not wise to use a lift in an old building or their might be now power at all)

Basically, not to be overweight and be as fit as the average private sportsman...not professional... dont forget to be strong mentally and physically, you can be fit, but can you lift!?

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Yearly fitness tests might not be such a bad idea. I only say this because there are so many of us who have hurt our backs lifting very large pts, not to mention those of us who live unhealthy lifestyles.

You see, an EMT's back is his/her second most important tool in their arsenal. The most important is their mind. Both of which require investment. And once you injure your back, your days in the street are numbered.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
human form would be a nice shape. I don't think the whole blob medic thing works out to well.

JPINFV

Gadfly
shape?

36-18-38

(I kid, seriously. +5 if you get the source for that though. )

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, I am an EMT, and I have started running, and lifting weights because I am trying to pass the agility test, to get onto the fire academy, honestly, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't, I don't like running, I don't mind lifting weights, but it's not my favorite thing to do, an I hate pain, so after a crap load of squats, I am not the most sociable person to say the least, but I am doing it because I want to make it into the academy, so...theres my itty bitty .02
First, there should be a minimum level of fitness for all working paramedics and EMT's. And it should be strictly enforced by each service. The chances of going out with an injury are fairly high in this field and can be decreased if a good level of fitness is maintained. Not to mention that at times you will need quite a bit of strength and endurance to do your job. How often will vary depending on your service, but at some point it WILL happen to everyone; you don't want to be the one that ends up laid out on the floor gasping for breath, so stay in decent, if not better, shape. And in public perception, and there really isn't a reason to NOT stay in shape.

NREMT...do yourself and many others a favor and do not go forward with trying to become a firefighter. If you allready don't like to exercise, then you have no buisness in the fire service; being in great physical condition is not just a suggestion, but a requirement for the job. And while you don't neccasarily need to lift weights to stay in shape, you need to do something. And a lot of it. If you aren't willing to do that, and continue to do that throughout your career, go into another field.

NREMT08

Forum Probie
quote triemal04 :NREMT...do yourself and many others a favor and do not go forward with trying to become a firefighter. If you allready don't like to exercise, then you have no buisness in the fire service; being in great physical condition is not just a suggestion, but a requirement for the job. And while you don't neccasarily need to lift weights to stay in shape, you need to do something. And a lot of it. If you aren't willing to do that, and continue to do that throughout your career, go into another field. end quote

Um what gives you the right to speak to me this way??? do YOURSELF a favor and don't tell me that I don't belong in the Fire Service, oh and by the way... I NEVER said I don't like working out, I said it is not my favorite thing to do, oh and also, I am a 2nd degree Black Belt and hold 4 1st place trophies for sparring in national competitions, and I am a woman, and 2 of those fights were against men of my same rank, so I am in damn fine shape thank you very much, wow, youve really got some nerve dude!

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I have started running, and lifting weights because I am trying to pass the agility test, to get onto the fire academy honestly, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't,

I am doing it because I want to make it into the academy,

Maybe you just aren't expressing yourself that well, but these quotes give me the right to say exactly what I did. If that's not the case, then great. But from what you said above...

If you have to improve to pass a physical agility test, then quite obviously you aren't fit enough yet. And the physical you take will not show whether or not you can make it as a firefighter, strength/endurance wise; that I will gaurentee. Basically, take whatever you think you need to pass the test and multiple it by at least 2. Or more. Then you'll be around where you should be. (physical agility tests are notoriously easy for many, many places compared to the actual demands...but that's a whole 'nother story)

The shape you are in is not a one time shot to get into the acadamy; it is for your entire career. If you can't stay at that level or exceed it, then don't even try it. If you plan to exceed that level and are willing to put in the effort, then great, good job.

Martial arts are a good way to stay fit and in shape, but you will need to reevaluate your routine if being a firefighter is your goal; it's not the same at all. And a sparring match is not like what you will come across as a working firefighter.

Just out of curiosity, what is the physical you take like, and what type of martial arts do you practise?

NREMT08

Forum Probie
Quote NREMT08: Well, I am an EMT, and I have started running, and lifting weights because I am trying to pass the agility test, to get onto the fire academy, honestly, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't, I don't like running, I don't mind lifting weights, but it's not my favorite thing to do, an I hate pain, so after a crap load of squats, I am not the most sociable person to say the least, but I am doing it because I want to make it into the academy, so...theres my itty bitty .02 End quote NREMT08

well here is what I ACTUALLY wrote, my whole post, not the cut up and pieces selected version, if you will look at it a little closer you will see where i wrote that I dont like running, and I dont mind lifting but it is not my favorite thing to do, yes, I did say that I have started running and lifting heavy weights so that I can get into the Academy, and NO WHERE, in my post did I say I planned to stop after i got into the academy, the fact that I am willing to go and run like hell and workout till I cant walk the next day goes to show that I am committed, people who are not committed dont do these types of things, and to answer your other questions, this test is not easy, this Fire Academy has NEVER graduated a woman EVER in the history of the Academy, they have one of the most respected academic and physical standards in the state, and to put it lightly, the test is hard for many men, I am in damn fine shape BUT I need to be strong as a bull to pass this test, i could write the whole test here but this post is long enough, I am sure you would be quite shocked as to how greuling the test is, and now, for your last question, I have been practicing Martial arts my whole life, started as an 8 year old child, I study under a Quan-Jang-Nim, which is Korean for Grand Master, a 9th degree Black Belt, he does it by the book and you earn every belt you get, none of this buy a belt nonsense, I am a 2nd degree Black Belt in Tae-Kwon-Do and my title is Kyo-Sah-Nim these are phonetic spellings of both titles so that you read them as they are pronounced, just to clear something up really quickly, there is NOTHING that I would not put myself through to accomplish my goal, ALL I have EVER wanted to do with my life is become a Firefighter, I know it is my calling in life, for all the non-religious reading this, I know it will be hard to understand that last statement, but thats what I believe and feel in my heart, that this is God's purpose for my life, and working out is not something I plan to do for a short period of time, it is a lifestyle, constant fitness, If I cannot drag my brother out of a burning building, if I am not physically capable of that, then I am worthless as a Firefighter, I said I dont like running, I also said lifting weights is not my favorite thing to do, but that doesn't mean I am ever going to stop.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay, you children play nice. I want you to both say you are sorry and to shake hands!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
OK... First... let me echo BossyCow...
signadmin1.gif

I think both of you have made your cases, and have valid points.... Good luck NREMT08!

Shape?
Does this work:
ball1.jpg

Round is a shape!

Unfortunately, I'm not in the shape I want to be in... and that I need to be in to work in EMS for the rest of my life... I look like a lot of other EMT's... too much fast food and sitting on post, and not enough long runs and healthy, home-cooked meals will do that. Our lifestyle SUCKS for staying healthy... we don't get full nights of sleep, we constantly change our schedules, and we beat ourselves up physically and mentally. Some of us are better at staying in shape than others.... I wish I could have that willpower... it is a long battle.

And JPINFV... If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
NREMT08,

iwould very much like to see the standards if you don't mind. if they're too big to post here could you post a link to the site if possible or cut-n-paste them in an email? i'll pm you my address. thanks much

NREMT08

Forum Probie
Quote BossyCow: Okay, you children play nice. I want you to both say you are sorry and to shake hands! end quote.

OK, (puts hand out towards triemal04) :beerchug:

Quote Jon: I think both of you have made your cases, and have valid points.... Good luck NREMT08! end quote.

Thank you Jon, and by the way, lol, nice star!

Buzz

Forum Captain
I've gotten into a good habit of working out whenever I'm bored. Nothing else to do? I'll go for a little jog. I improvise exercises with a lot of things as well. Using a chair, counter top, the rear of my car, etc. I will work on my triceps. I feel the need to do chin-ups on just about everything that looks strong enough to hold my weight. I also do push-ups out of sheer boredom. Usually every time there is a commercial on TV, I'm on the floor doing push-ups. I also do yoga as part of my morning ritual, as long as I have time for it. It's excellent for flexibility which certainly comes in handy ;)

The majority of the way I stay in shape is done not through working out though... I maintain it by playing sports and doing possibly one of the geekiest things I've ever been exposed to: fighting with swords made from PVC and closed-cell foam sleep pads. It doesn't sound like it would be that physically taxing, but running into a battle and swinging things quite forcefully at opponents is quite demanding. I've seen VERY physically fit people winded after only a couple minutes of fighting. It's geeky, but I can't really think of a more fun way to get into shape.

It's all about the mindset. It's difficult for me to look at a bunch of weights and think "Hey, I need to lift those to get in shape." If I'm looking at kayaking down a river for several hours, I'm going to get what will be a longer, but less focused work out but actually enjoy what I'm doing which makes it easier to spend a day doing. I'm not a fan of running, so to work on legs I'll go take my bike out to a cross-country course we have here and pedal my *** off. I try to find things that I wouldn't call work, but still give me a good work out.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
NREMT08-mea culpa mea culpa. Sounds like you've got things pretty squared away and know what's expected. Kudos on that; a lot of people don't. Just didn't come across that way in your first posts, so hopefully no hard feelings.

It won't be as much an issue for you being a woman, and you may allready know this, but a piece of advice: don't focus completely on just bulking up and gaining brute strength. While that's definetly needed, make sure you're also working on endurance and conditioning. Being able haul 400lbs is fine, but if you can only do it for 15sec, you're screwed.

I still would like to know what the physical you're taking will be; if you want to send it PM that's fine, but now I'm really curious.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I don't think triemal04 was pointing to you specifically NREMT08. I got the gist of his comment was more general and not specific.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I worked on the ambulance with some truly obese people who I swore were going to keel over from an AMI any second...