What region pays the most?

SixEightWhiskey

Forum Crew Member
i'm an EMT-B and an army medic. Want to pursue EMS as a career when i get out. My GI bill will cover virtually any paramedic school i want to go to which is my plan. The question i am posing is this. If money for schooling was no object and you could choose to work/relocate anywhere in the United States as a paramedic, where would it be? And also, which part of the US has the highest paramedic pay in relation to that area's cost of living? Thanks!

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
well.....

Best pay from what i hear is is New York FD and Chicago FD.

Out here in Chicago the Paramedics start at 45k then get a 10k raise after
1st year then it compounds plus really good benefits. I know a couple Medics for the FD and they both have been with the department 5-8 years an both make over 85k easily.

Main problem that youll run into with cities that pay good for medics is most have waiting lists for their FD and alot are getting into the habit of cross training to be a fire fighter as well.

If you cant get into a FD right off the street the privates and hospital ED will pay around the 16-20$/hour range with some privates having call/paperowrk bonuses.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Texas.

Search the site you'll find mention of highest paying services.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Best pay from what i hear is is New York FD and Chicago FD.

Out here in Chicago the Paramedics start at 45k then get a 10k raise after
1st year then it compounds plus really good benefits. I know a couple Medics for the FD and they both have been with the department 5-8 years an both make over 85k easily.
Not bad, but it definitely gets higher than that.

Major city FDs will pay the most, and you'll have a leg up at most of them being former military. Texas and Cali are probably your best paying. Probably easier to get on in Texas though.

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
As for best paying medic jobs I cant help. But as a basic I have my "Dream" medic schools I wish I could afford to go to. Both have BS in EMS with the Medic cert included. They are: First choice is Kings County in WA. I've had this program recommended to me because of its high standards and progressive protocols. Second choice is Central WA University. Looks like a great program based on my own research.

Just my 2cents (-:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
If money for schooling was no object and you could choose to work/relocate anywhere in the United States as a paramedic, where would it be? And also, which part of the US has the highest paramedic pay in relation to that area's cost of living? Thanks!

Get a BS in EMS, perhaps, along with your EMT-P cert. Makes you way more marketable.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Get a BS in EMS, perhaps, along with your EMT-P cert. Makes you way more marketable.

Unfortunately that's not necessarily true. I wish it was, but many agencies* could care less. Especially the well paying fire jobs (since the well paying jobs seem to be what you're looking for). EMS third-services just want to see that you know your stuff and are a good provider.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't get it. I'm a huge advocate for more education for paramedics. From my experience though, it doesn't seem to make a huge difference in initial employment. Now if it comes down to you and another guy and you're completely evenly matched, but you have a degree and he doesn't, then I'm sure it'll help.

Where degrees really seem to make the most difference is when you're trying to promote up within your agency.

*I know there are systems out there that would suck you up for having a degree.

Undaedalus

Forum Probie
First choice is Kings County in WA. I've had this program recommended to me because of its high standards and progressive protocols.
This is not a program that one pays to enter. If you want to get your medic with UW @ Harborview, you need to be hired by one of the MedicOne services operating out of King County first. FYI.

Secondly, and somewhat related to my previous statement, there is something to be said for getting some FF experience if you want to be more competitive for hire by big city FDs. This statement is not intended to ruffle feathers or spark debates about fire-based EMS, but is meant rather to provide pragmatic advice to someone attempting to obtain an EMS salary above the mean.