What now?

MLVV

Forum Probie
Ok, I passed the NREMT and I have my state and national licenses... I don't want to work for an ambulance service, though, I want to work in an Emergency Department. Any suggestions for a new job seeker? I'm in Florida, in the Orlando area, and could use suggestions for how to get my foot in the door.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
May I ask what qualifies you to work in an ER at your current skill level?

Most of the Florida ERs have Paramedics in them along with ER Techs. An ER Tech is someone who can not only change sheets, do vitals and push people around on stretchers, they also have phlebotomy training and EKG training.

As a new EMT Basic, you have no skills an ER would need.

Go become a medic OR take a phleb and EKG course. make yourself marketable so you can work where you desire.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm not sure there's an "ER Tech" certification in FL. Once qualified as EMT the training goes on in-house. Go to every ER you can think of -- especially the small community hospitals, and talk to them. Show your face.

OP
OP
M

MLVV

Forum Probie
Thanks! I met several EMTs who were working in the ED during my clinicals, so I know there is a way to get there.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Phlebotomy training is pretty straight forward and shouldnt take too long. In my opinion its the only "fun" part of being an ER tech. The bulk of your time is spent changing sheets, moving patients, and doing stuff that the nurses dont feel like doing (foley catheters, etc).

I have a few friends that work as ER techs, having your EMT-B is a requirement but does not gaurantee you a job, its pretty competetive.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not sure there's an "ER Tech" certification in FL. Once qualified as EMT the training goes on in-house. Go to every ER you can think of -- especially the small community hospitals, and talk to them. Show your face.

Not entirely accurate.

Er Tech is a common name I used but the actual title and certification course is PCT (patient care tech). This is an actual career program and a lot of hospitals require you to have completed it prior to applying for the position.

Very few want to do in house training as it is a colossal waste of time and resources with current turnover rates in those types of positions.

PCT involves phleb and EKG in addition to other things.

While my post was not worded the best, the point I was making is there are just as many higher skilled set individuals performing the exact same job you are seeking. What makes you stand out above those? At this time, not much which is why I directed you to the 2 main courses which would make you special.

OP
OP
M

MLVV

Forum Probie
I have noticed that many of the PCT jobs want you to do phlebotomy, so I am considering taking a course in that to make myself a more desirable applicant. In the meantime, I have some contacts in the elder care industry, where I may be able to get a job as a tech--slightly different than a CNA but it would at least be experience working with patients under my belt.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
its going to be hard to get in an ER with nothing more than a few clinical experiences, I've been trying for almost 15 months now. It is DEF a good thing that you have EKG experience though...Being in the central FL area myself, seems that all ER's around here want at least 1 year experience and or medic license.

Agreeing with the above post apply, apply, apply, show your face...Just like I do on the phone, call at least 1 time a week, show that your willing to put in effort, make them remember your name.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Went to school in Nashville. I had to take NR again when I got to Orlando to get FL certification. Im checking out Seminole State Community for medic school, Ive heard good things, and dont wanna drive all the way to Valencia. Any opinions?

OP
OP
M

MLVV

Forum Probie
Yes, I would recommend Valencia West FAR over Seminole State. I heard Seminole lost its charter to even teach EMS courses due to a very high failure rate. Valencia West is absolutely the best program in the area--they work you very hard but you get a very good, solid education there.

Shelley Watson

Forum Probie
Oh, and while I don't have phlebotomy training, I do have EKG training.

Since you have an EKG training, so you only need a phlebotomy training for entering into your desired profile. You might have learn a lot of things during your EMT training and again going for a regular course might be a tough decision. I know that regular courses costs much and takes a lot of time also for completion. But sometimes back, I came across few sites on net that have mentioned about the colleges providing online courses on phlebotomy. These sites have also mentioned about the scholarship programs available in these colleges. http://phlebotomytechnicianprograms.org/phlebotomy-technician-scholarships/ Just go through this site, hopefully it would solve your purpose. You can complete your online course while working temporarily in any hospital, and the scholarship provision would lower the cost of studies also. And once you complete your course, you can switch the job.