What makes a "good" Paramedic School?

MedicDoug

Forum Crew Member
THIS should be fun...;>)
A friend of mine is thinking about becoming a paramedic and asked me what I thought about a couple of programs in the area. After answering that question with what specifics I knew, I began to wonder what exactly makes a "good" paramedic program? Or a "good" EMT program for that matter. What questions would you suggest my friend ask in the orientation session for potential students? Do you think there's a way to objectively evaluate a particular program? Thanks for your input.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
(not in any particular order)

1. Is this school accredited? Check http://www.caahep.org/Find_An_Accredited_Program.aspx to find out.
2. Is this a degree program? (actually, this should be #1, and the answer had better be yes.)
3. How many hours (not days, weeks or months) does this course run?
4. What are the prerequisites to entry?
5. What qualifications does the instructor(s) have?
6. What percentage of students pass the state/national tests?
7. What percentage find employment as paramedics within 1 year? 2 years? (may not track this, but worth checking)
8. How many hours are required for the internship?
9. Is passing the internship based on meeting an hourly requirement or meeting and exceeding a standard?
10. How many clinical hours (in hospital) are required?
11. Is passing the clinical portion based on meeting the hourly requirement or meeting and exceeding a standard?
12. What does the local agency think of this program? (and then ask them to see if the answers match)
13. Do the preceptors during the internship have any formal training as FTO's, or are they assigned at random?
14. Does the course curriculum exceed the national standards? (if they say no just walk away right then)

Just a few off the top of my head. Loads more though.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
What that person said! ^^

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Let me address 2 of these points.

2. Is this a degree program? (actually, this should be #1, and the answer had better be yes.)
I disagree to certain extent. I chose a hospital based program. This is because it is affiliated with a teaching hospital where doctors and nurses train. None of the degree based programs offer that. Having the degree is not specifically important in my situation but I would like to have it anyway. Wish it was a degree program

4. What are the prerequisites to entry?
If we are rtalking degree programs, everything should be included in the program. EMT-B, A&P, writing and math classes can represent the first year and often do.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If we are talking degree programs, everything should be included in the program. EMT-B, A&P, writing and math classes can represent the first year and often do.

Umm... Not quite. You should have you EMT-B and be working on the street for some time BEFORE you go to medic school. In my area there are serveral schools that take people off the street and shove them through EMT-B and straight into EMT-P... it sets them up for a high failure rate, and medic students who need to do "BLS" clinical time as part of EMT-P school.

Jon

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why is experience so important if other fields do not require it? Do RNs have to be CNAs before starting school? Do MD/DOs have to be PAs before starting their respective school? I put forth that experience is not important for starting school, but only used as an excuse for schools with poor education. If schools are having trouble putting out good providers, then they need to look at what they are doing wrong with teaching the material and increase their class or clinical hours.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Why is experience so important if other fields do not require it? Do RNs have to be CNAs before starting school? Do MD/DOs have to be PAs before starting their respective school? I put forth that experience is not important for starting school, but only used as an excuse for schools with poor education. If schools are having trouble putting out good providers, then they need to look at what they are doing wrong with teaching the material and increase their class or clinical hours.
I think one of the problems is a lack of clinical hours... medics don't get enough. At all. So time on the street as a BLS provider works to be "on-the-job training".

And MD's don't need to be PA's first... but they do spend 3-5 years as residents before they can be "full" doctors.