What makes a good medic?

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I agree with all of the comments posted. It's so open to interpretation, as unfortunately, perception becomes reality.

For example, I worked with a guy that has been classed as a lousy medic and I was warned by several people that I'd have to be keep an eye on him.

Through the tour, I found him to be compassionate, caring, skilled, aggressive when it was needed, professional and after some discussions about education, relatively knowledgable.

Apparently during a period of personal turmoil he had a few calls go badly. He was remediated, deemed competent and sent back out to the street. Sadly, even though I'd consider him a good medic, I'm in the minority.

But, people who have been here for ages, repeating a year of experience over and over are "salty, good medics".

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Personally I don't consider any medic bad, I'm just gonna assume you wouldn't be a medic anymore if you were.
Some are average, but I don't mean that as a slight to them.
We have some incredible ones that I would consider good, beyond being proficient with their skills, they go a step beyond.
-They understand the system not just their niche
-They are willing to admit faults
-They are able to think beyond the protocols and make critical decisions
-They have a genuine interest in their job and the people they serve, they aren't just here for a paycheck (most of our guys are not local, and probably wouldn't be caught dead here off duty).

One medic I think of in particular, I feel gets over looked by our system because he runs out of one of our quietest stations. He's more than competent, and great guy that really goes above and beyond. Many times on weekend shifts he'll go out and check on many of the older community members in the rural area, that have health issues... I consider him to be one best medics I will ever meet.

Sublime

LP, RN
Personally I don't consider any medic bad, I'm just gonna assume you wouldn't be a medic anymore if you were.

Can't say I agree with that. There is a secondary medic in my system who literally told me he doesn't know how to read 12-leads. He went to an online paramedic course...

The standards to become a paramedic are so low that becoming one means nothing as far as competence level.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
... Wow...

I retract my previous statement

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't say I agree with that. There is a secondary medic in my system who literally told me he doesn't know how to read 12-leads. He went to an online paramedic course...

The standards to become a paramedic are so low that becoming one means nothing as far as competence level.

facepalm.png

Such a thing can't be possible, can it?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Simply knowing someone is certified as a medic means absolutely nothing to me anymore. Meeting just a few morons tends to teach you that really quickly. Competence must be proven at all levels. There are a thousand EMTs I would trust more caring for me in an emergency over some medics I've met. At least I know they can provide competent care with their more limited tools rather than harming me with the "fun toys."

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
facepalm.png

Not anymore I thought. 12 leads were not required in MA till the mid-2000s.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Not anymore I thought. 12 leads were not required in MA till the mid-2000s.

Chicago only started doing 12 leads last year, and still can't interpret. AFAIK, they transmit or go off monitor interpretation only. If it says STEMI, they call a cardiac alert. All I know is if I called a cardiac alert for every *Acute MI Suspected* my LP15 has spit out over the last few months I would have four unnecessary Cath lab activations and zero accurate diagnoses. Also, Denver Health Paramedics only started 12 leads in 2005 I believe.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
facepalm.png

NEVER underestimate stupidity!
I won't even begin to start typing what I've seen...
Try medics not knowing a rhythm strip! Or simple anatomy(names of bones, parts of the body, etc) or how to spell!

Pass the test and then never have to remember the stuff again.
Chaz90, you're right. Just because you have a card means jack to me.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
An ALS transporting FD just across the state line from us just recently got 12-leads within the last two or three years.

Just because you've got a medic card doesn't make you competent or a good medic. Don't take this as me saying I'm gods gift to this planet as far as medics go, I'm far from it, but I know a dude who gave mag to an asymptomatic pt with artifact on the monitor during transport that he interpreted as TDP.... :rolleyes:

Or the fire medic that gave my anxiety pt 3 albuterol treatments and tached her into the 170s because "she has COPD and said she was short of breath!" With clear lung sounds, a respiratory rate of 16 and a SpO2% of 97 on her 2 LPM she always wears...