What makes a "good" medic?

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
What makes a good medic cannot be taught: common sense.

^^One of the best points. I hate to admit this but in my opinion there aren't that many good medics. And this is one of the biggest problems that our profession faces. There is no way to base "a good medic" on one or two things. But for how I judge...
1. As stated above. Common Sense
2. Ability to adapt to changes quickly
3. Ability to avoid "tunnel vision"
4. A true love for what he/she does! Many people see EMS as a stepping stone to something else.
5. A true interest in furthering medical knowledge and constantly wanting to learn. Learning doesnt stop when you get your cert. No matter what level you are. As told to me by one of the biggest influences in my journey in EMS.. "The second you think you know everything, QUIT! You just became dangerous."
6. And this is currently my biggest pet peeve.... Wanting to learn from people who are good medics. Too many kids want to get into this as soon as they graduate high school. Some are 19 when they have their paramedic and have never had a single pt contact outside of clinicals. Yet as soon as they get that patch they think they know just as much as someone who has been doing this 10,15,20 years. But I guess I also have to admit I've known 20 year medics that I'm surprised can take a manual BP.

I shall step down from my soap box now