What made you join EMS?

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Just curious of why everybody wanted to be an EMT/Medic? I plan to join because of I love to help people and I have the urge to help people as well as wanting to make our society a better and safer place. I always felt best making life better for another person and lending a hand. Not only your helping other people but you are helping yourself too.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
When I joined EMS in 1978 it was a relatively new profession of about 12 years and the Paramedic was thought to become a leader in health care. I wanted to be part of that. There were already several degree programs established throughout the U.S. and even the FDs liked the idea of having a well educated Paramedic. There were very few other health care opportunities at that time that held such promise. Most of the allied health professions were very much in their infancy and some were not even a thought yet. Nursing was still trying to come out of the diploma era to achieve professional status with a college degree.

But then greed and ignorance took over EMS and medic mills became the norm in several areas of the country. I moved on to a part of EMS (Flight and CCT) where the 3 month wonder Paramedic was not as common. If only I had seen what the future held for EMS back in 1978....

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
If only I had seen what the future held for EMS back in 1978....

Its a shame the glass IV bottles and Caddy hightops driven by dudes with afro's, lots of bling and a blue jumpsuit with "Paramedic" in yellow on the back were just a fad :D

Me, heck, I was channel surfing one day in 1992 and came across Rescue 911

spiffy

Forum Probie
My one brother is a firefighter in NY and my other brother is a paramedic in NC. I was kind of snowballed into it.. but I'm learning a lot in classes. I'm not sure if it's completely for me, but I thought it sounded pretty cool.. it's a lame reason but it works for me.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I wanted to drive fast with lights and siren, wear a lot of cool equipment on my belt, and tell people that I save lives for a living. I also wanted to be able to do a bunch of stuff with very little training.*

*Please note: this post may contain sarcasm

doctorfodder

Forum Crew Member
When I joined EMS in 1978 it was a relatively new profession of about 12 years and the Paramedic was thought to become a leader in health care. I wanted to be part of that. There were already several degree programs established throughout the U.S. and even the FDs liked the idea of having a well educated Paramedic. There were very few other health care opportunities at that time that held such promise. Most of the allied health professions were very much in their infancy and some were not even a thought yet. Nursing was still trying to come out of the diploma era to achieve professional status with a college degree.

But then greed and ignorance took over EMS and medic mills became the norm in several areas of the country. I moved on to a part of EMS (Flight and CCT) where the 3 month wonder Paramedic was not as common. If only I had seen what the future held for EMS back in 1978....

go for your DPH

EMT

Forum Probie
I wanted to drive fast with lights and siren, wear a lot of cool equipment on my belt, and tell people that I save lives for a living. I also wanted to be able to do a bunch of stuff with very little training.*

*Please note: this post may contain sarcasm

This made me laugh because that was the first thing i wanted to do. I matured more now, i am more in it to help my community and the towns that surround it. My aunt (whom is a EMT- I.) taught me a lot of stuff and gave me one of her old text books to study from. Through my fascination of reading and caring for the people around me i decided to join.*

*I still want the lights and the sirens though haha.

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
while i still have yet to start my training i want to be an emt because i want a job that changes every day. While i love my kids and takeing care of them i want a job that you never know what they day or night will hole.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Don't know about you guys, I'm in it for the money ;)

VentMedic

Forum Chief

If you do get in with a good 3rd service, couty or city or with a FD, the money and benefits are very good. I think that 46young has discussed endlessly about the money and retirement plan he has all with very little education required for entry. Some might think that 6 months of training to get those perks is a pretty sweet deal.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If you do get in with a good 3rd service, couty or city or with a FD, the money and benefits are very good. I think that 46young has discussed endlessly about the money and retirement plan he has all with very little education required for entry. Some might think that 6 months of training to get those perks is a pretty sweet deal.

Are you suggesting that most EMS providers have similar conditions?

Tjfemt911

Forum Probie
First reason- My dad was a flight medic for 20 years and I remember being really young and asking my dad how his shift went and what calls he went on. I basically interviewed him every night he came home. haha. My dad is my hero and that's what sparked my flame. :)

Second- I'm an extremely compassionate person and I love the field of medicine.

Third- I can't see myself in any other filed besides the medical field. :D

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief

First, money, definitely the money.

Second, lights and sirens.

Third, cool things that zap people with lots of joules.

Fourth, saw all the inadequacies in the EMS system as a volunteer MFR and EMT, and decided that I could make it better. I'm looking forward to bringing research and better education into my EMS system.

sbp7993

Forum Crew Member
I became an EMT because I figured the anatomy and clinical experience would help with Medical School

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I became an EMT because I figured the anatomy and clinical experience would help with Medical School

There's anatomy in EMT? O.O