What Kind of Boots do You Prefer?

basic

Forum Crew Member
I'm going to have to pick some boots up pretty soon, and I'm just wondering which brand is known for being durable, comfortable, and decently priced.

Any links or information would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

-Basic

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Timberlands. I wear non-ems boots. Size 9 is the most comfortable. <_<

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
I used to wear the Caterpillar, but have been issued with the Hi-tec Magnum Viper II. The Magnums are a lot lighter, which helps a lot. It also has a zip, from the bridge of the boot the entrance, this is nice as you don't have to lace up in the dark, just zip up. It is also highly rated amungst the Police guys. Not a bad buy...

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
anything that's goretex, its polishable (sp?) really waterproof, breathes well, good during winter with wool socks on, and nice during the summer with thin socks on. As per brand, most boots are reliable, as long as you polish them and take care of them. To me boots are important, they take care of your feet, so I take care of them lol. As per whats most comfortable? well we all have different size/shapes of feet, so my recommendation is go somewhere that has lots of black boots, and try on like 15 different pairs, ignore the pricetag, see whats most comfy for you. I have really wide feet, so the boots I would personally recommend might suck for you.

oh another thing, don't use that kiwi quick polish stick :censored::censored::censored::censored:, over time it will eat through the boot super fast, when I was on basic training way back in the day, one of the recruits got in MAJOR doodoo because the leather on his toe started peeling from using the kiwi stick too much.

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
I almost forgot, I'm assuming you already knew this, but boots take a couple days of wearing them to break them in, so don't start polishing your boots right away or else the polish will crack.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I absolutely love Danner boots. They're extremely comfortable and durable and they break in faster than any other boot I've had. Plus the steel toe is well-shaped so it doesn't become irritating. Timberland boots are also good, but I prefer Danner boots hands down. I do mountain search and rescue so a good, very durable and comfortable pair of boots is critical and my Danners have always served me well through those 6 hour hikes in the middle of nowhere.

OP
OP
basic

basic

Forum Crew Member
I almost forgot, I'm assuming you already knew this, but boots take a couple days of wearing them to break them in, so don't start polishing your boots right away or else the polish will crack.

yeah, i was thinking about buying my boots soon even though i don't have a job yet because i'd like to break them in.

are there any boots that can double as firefighting boots?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i like side zip synthetic in the summer because they breath better and full leathers in the winter.

i refuse to every buy a 5.11 tactical product ever again. i bought one pair of their atac's and they began falling apart third time i wore them. as far as the rest of them, i replace my summer boot every year so ive worn boots from several maunfacturers and havent really found much of a difference.

my winter boots on the other hand are hugely important to me. they need to 100% waterproof, comfortable, durable and sharp looking. i havent found a better boot than the matterhorn atd. worth 3 times the price

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
i like side zip synthetic in the summer because they breath better and full leathers in the winter.

i refuse to every buy a 5.11 tactical product ever again. i bought one pair of their atac's and they began falling apart third time i wore them. as far as the rest of them, i replace my summer boot every year so ive worn boots from several maunfacturers and havent really found much of a difference.

my winter boots on the other hand are hugely important to me. they need to 100% waterproof, comfortable, durable and sharp looking. i havent found a better boot than the matterhorn atd. worth 3 times the price

I second the vote for the Matterhorns. I've had the same pair for 6 years now, and they are still not falling apart. Best boots I have ever owned, and I've worn them on wildland fires, MVA's, and while installing satellite TV.

rmellish

Forum Captain
I got my pair of Ridge boots for Christmas last year. "Ultimate" model I think. They're comfy as hell, but a bit warm in the summer. Zippered, not steel toe though..:sad:

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
hah

proud payless shoe store shopper hahah

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
look under the Ambulances and Equipments forum for my thread titled "My New Boots"

LOVE MY CONVERSE!!!!!!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
those look sick

Great...I have gray hair....those wrinkles between my eyes...and now I'm about to ask this question......

UMMMMMMM.....is that good or bad???

OP
OP
basic

basic

Forum Crew Member
lol how old are most people on this forum?

i'm only on subaru related forums and we have pretty much 16-40 year olds. is this forum less diverse?

and i was complementing you lol, no need for gray hairs :)

emt_jay911

Forum Ride Along
My 2 cents

Hey, I am new here but I wanna chime in on this. I have had a range of boots and I setteled on Magnum (Any type really). I daily wear my Magnums and they are now almost 2 years old. They still hold a shine and most important comfort. I had Thorogood boots last time and at $170 bux My ex paid for them they only lasted 7 months. (The back came apart on both heels) and the Rocky boots I had were just not comfortable.

IMHO Magnums are the best deal and all around boots.

J

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I also wear Magnums, so far. Mine are 4 years old, and I'm looking at buying new ones as I think the size of my foot has changed.

OP
OP
basic

basic

Forum Crew Member
thanks for all of the info everyone, i appreciate it.

what stores carry them?