What kind of analgesic do you use?

Basermedic159

Forum Crew Member
I would like to commend you on bumping multiple old threads to throw mini hissy fits about how awesome EMTs are and how we Paramedics need to remember where we came from. If you have a bone to pick, start a new thread. But stop bumping old threads for no reason other than to exercise your ego.

Again, you dont know me nor my level. Exercise my ego? More like exercise my opinion, which clearly enough is not wanted from anyone who hasn't been a member for a while.

I guess the "new" people should agree with what all the "senior" emtlife members say.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Again, you dont know me nor my level. Exercise my ego? More like exercise my opinion, which clearly enough is not wanted from anyone who hasn't been a member for a while.

I guess the "new" people should agree with what all the "senior" emtlife members say.

Yikes. You're not making any friends here.

Since it seems like you didn't get the message, in this forum, it's considered bad form to bump a post to add a comment that simply agrees or disagrees with the previous post.

I think everyone is open to your opinions, but if you temper the bombast a bit and start new threads (or comment on current topics) I'm sure you'll be welcomed a bit more warmly than you have been.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It has nothing to do with who is new or who is senior. It has to do with the fact that you are being incredibly obnoxious. You are bumping old threads for no reason but to start debates about something no one is arguing about but you. Look around, you'll notice that people disagree with each other all the time. The difference is that the rest of us are debating topics using evidence to back up our positions. What you are doing amounts to throwing temper tantrums because of perceived insults to EMT-Bs.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

A couple hours ago you're training did not have the P suffix. So what is your level?

Basermedic159

Forum Crew Member
A couple hours ago you're training did not have the P suffix. So what is your level?

I put it in there to let everone know i'm not a basic. I didnt know that it really made a difference. But I guess it dose. My level is (NC) EMT-P.

Let me add to this post by saying I in no way trying to be rude, offensive or otherwise unpleasant by my previous posts. I just have a different way of saying things, that might be misconstrued as me being arrogant, which is not the case.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I put it in there to let everone know i'm not a basic. I didnt know that it really made a difference. But I guess it dose. My level is (NC) EMT-P.

Let me add to this post by saying I in no way trying to be rude, offensive or otherwise unpleasant by my previous posts. I just have a different way of saying things, that might be misconstrued as me being arrogant, which is not the case.

I find it useful to know who I'm talking to, others mileage may vary.

I'm not going to get into how you express your posts, besides the fact that many community members have already stated how you come across. Not breaking rules does not automatically mean you're operating in good taste.

Basermedic159

Forum Crew Member
I find it useful to know who I'm talking to, others mileage may vary.

I'm not going to get into how you express your posts, besides the fact that many community members have already stated how you come across. Not breaking rules does not automatically mean you're operating in good taste.

I understand and I will put forth the effort to express my posts in a less condecending manner. I don't want people to think that's who I am. Like I said if I've offended anyone, I do apoligize. If everyone could actually hear the things that I post instead of me typing it, it wouldn't come across that way. I'll do my best to communicate better with everyone, in such a way not to seem like an a$$ because I'm really not. :p

Basermedic159

Forum Crew Member
I also didn't quite understand the terms such as "bumping" and things of that nature. I am still learning about threads, posting etc...

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

Watching with amusement on all these threads. Ever recognize that history repeats itself on EMTLIFE; usually every 3-6 months...

But I've got $20 on "16 y/o First Responder Student." :eek:

NomadicMedic

:rofl: I've got a NC "p" number that says different.

And again... Nobody cares. We've got docs, RTs, medics with decades of experience and plenty of other knowledgable folks here, all sharing information without pounding their chest and showing off their certs and degrees.

I suggest READING posts for a week or two, get to know the players by the info they post, and then jump back in.

And FYI, "bumping" a thread is when you reply to s thread that is weeks (or months) old, to add nothing substantive. It's highly frowned on. Almost as much as asking a question that's been answered 100 times prior, like, "what stethoscope should I buy?"

So again, my advice is lay low, read the threads... Then come back and join in.

Good luck...

Basermedic159

Forum Crew Member
And again... Nobody cares. We've got docs, RTs, medics with decades of experience and plenty of other knowledgable folks here, all sharing information without pounding their chest and showing off their certs and degrees.

I suggest READING posts for a week or two, get to know the players by the info they post, and then jump back in.

And FYI, "bumping" a thread is when you reply to s thread that is weeks (or months) old, to add nothing substantive. It's highly frowned on. Almost as much as asking a question that's been answered 100 times prior, like, "what stethoscope should I buy?"

So again, my advice is lay low, read the threads... Then come back and join in.

Good luck...
Appearantly someone cared, thats why I changed it. The I was questioned about it, also showing that somone cares therefore I told them.

I am not bumping my chest etc etc etc. I've never said I know everything and everyone else is stupid.

I'm really working on my people posting skills so please lets leave it at this,

Thanks.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I have to admit that I do care a bit about our member's certifications. For instance, you're a medic so if I ask a question about narcotic pain management, I am more likely to take a greater interest in your answer than say a basic's (which I am) answer, since you have more knowledge about the topic at hand. That said, I don't think someone's lack of training should ever preclude them from posting in a topic. I know I post in "ALS Topics" despite not being a real ALS provider because I am curious and just want to learn for my own knowledge. Plus, it's usually obvious when someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

NomadicMedic

I have to admit that I do care a bit about our member's certifications. For instance, you're a medic so if I ask a question about narcotic pain management, I am more likely to take a greater interest in your answer than say a basic's (which I am) answer, since you have more knowledge about the topic at hand. That said, I don't think someone's lack of training should ever preclude them from posting in a topic. I know I post in "ALS Topics" despite not being a real ALS provider because I am curious and just want to learn for my own knowledge. Plus, it's usually obvious when someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

I agree, but I also don't post, "I'm a medic, so I know more than you do." I have a friend who is a volunteer EMT on a BLS ambulance, but works as a PharmD at a large hospital. She knows a LOT more than I do about pharm, and I love to pick her brain about the prehospital drugs we use, and how thing are different in the hospital.

At any rate, people should be free to post, ask questions, share anecdotes and experiences... Just a civil, respectful attitude is what we all deserve. ;)

Basermedic159

Forum Crew Member
I agree, but I also don't post, "I'm a medic, so I know more than you do." I have a friend who is a volunteer EMT on a BLS ambulance, but works as a PharmD at a large hospital. She knows a LOT more than I do about pharm, and I love to pick her brain about the prehospital drugs we use, and how thing are different in the hospital.

At any rate, people should be free to post, ask questions, share anecdotes and experiences... Just a civil, respectful attitude is what we all deserve. ;)

I read this whole thread again, and I haven't seen anywhere where it said "I'm a medic, so I know more than you do." ?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I read this whole thread again, and I haven't seen anywhere where it said "I'm a medic, so I know more than you do." ?

It doesn't. Not all comments in this thread are directed at you. The point I was trying to make is that many of us appreciate knowing the background of the member's of this site. As a general rule on this site, it is frowned upon to talk down to another member just because you (non-specific) hold a higher certification or more training than another member. Not saying this is occurring here, but it has in the past.

MedicMey

Forum Ride Along
Well. I am just a new paramedmedic, but we have morphine and fentanyl. My last service also had Toradol, used mostly when we suspected a kidney stone.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I didn't see anything taken outta context, but that's just my opinion.

We use fentanyl for analgesia mainly. Morphine in ACS and abdominal pain. In my very limited experience it seems to work better for abdominal pain than fentanyl.

Shouldn't that be reversed?:sad:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Shouldn't that be reversed?:sad:

What be reversed?

It is n=1 but in the small amount of experience I have the analgesic along with euphoric effects of MS seem to work a bit better in abdominal pain, especially in pain originating in the hollow organs. I won't pretend to understand it but my guess would be because of the slowing of gastric motility and peristalsis, but again that's just my theory. I've been so damn busy I haven't had the motivation to go find studies to support this or tell me I've totally gone off the deep end :D