What is wrong with people

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
A page went out for a possible roll over. Stated interstate south bound. Could not get any other info because the motorist who called it in did not know where he was and did not stick around. WTF!!!! What if that had been him/her out there. I just can not understand some people.
Sorry just had to vent a little

Hastings

Noobie
A page went out for a possible roll over. Stated interstate south bound. Could not get any other info because the motorist who called it in did not know where he was and did not stick around. WTF!!!! What if that had been him/her out there. I just can not understand some people.

Better than passing by without calling, which is what most would do.

I'd say he did his part.

OP
OP
EMTWintz

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
I realize that. There are many who assume that someone else has called, but really, what would it have hurt to just show some human compassion

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
uuummmm....they did show some compassion by activating ems.

im willing to bet they have no medical training. if thats the case, they arent going to do much good at an accident scene. they call it in as best they can and carry on with their life.

Hastings

Noobie
I realize that. There are many who assume that someone else has called, but really, what would it have hurt to just show some human compassion

I believe it shows compassion to care enough to call EMS.

There's nothing more you can do, and they know that.

I bolded an important statement as well. Hats off to him.

OP
OP
EMTWintz

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
uuummmm....they did show some compassion by activating ems.

im willing to bet they have no medical training. if thats the case, they arent going to do much good at an accident scene. they call it in as best they can and carry on with their life.

Ok point taken. I just know that when I had my wreck there was one bystander that stayed with me untill the troops got there. It helped that someone took the time to talk to me and keep me calm. 10yrs later I still send and recieve birthday and x-mas cards to that person.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Get use to it. If you have a major highway running through your venue, bypassing callers for MVC's, etc. are common. What's better yet is when several call in and half say it's northbound and the other half claim the incident is southbound.

Hastings

Noobie
Ok point taken. I just know that when I had my wreck there was one bystander that stayed with me untill the troops got there. It helped that someone took the time to talk to me and keep me calm. 10yrs later I still send and recieve birthday and x-mas cards to that person.

Very cool.

You know, you do hit on a good point though. There is a basic expectation as another human being. That expectation was met. That duty, of sorts.

However, there are some that really go beyond and show their compassion. Sometimes it makes all the difference in the world. Sometimes it's not possible. Sometimes it's not appropriate. But again, sometimes it really makes all the difference.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep, that's what makes it special. If everyone showed that level of compassion, it would just be ordinary and expected.

ponyiq

Forum Ride Along
Actually, I have done the same on the interstate. If I had been alone I would have found away to get across, but I am a single parent with a six year old. Now, at almost seven I might still attempt to stop and get across... but with that said.. if i am with my daughter and see something that I think warrents being called in.. i call our dispatch or 911 depends on the situation. I go back to the old scene safety but even more intense because i have my very young child with me. I always give as much information as possible but I will not put my daughter's life at risk.
So i can understand people not stopping just placing a call. ON the same note, not too long ago in our area.. a first responder stopped to assist ( not called out just passing by ) at a vehicle accident and the person apparently was fleeing law enforcement because the person pulled a gun on the first responder who kept their wits managed to get back in the vehicle and leave.. on the surface it appeared to be a simple single vehicle versus street light.. but what the person that stopped did not know is that the patient/suspect had committed a crime and was under the influence and was attempting to flee

so in this case at least the person did not just drive by the dialed 911 to get appropriate services to the patient.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I HAVE medical training and I dont always stop and help.

If its too dangerous for me to get out of my car and deliver aide, as in I run a high risk of getting hit because of poor lighting, the cars being in the middle of a busy highway, etc. then I drive by and call 911. I dont have a bright orange vest, big rigs and traffic cones to deter people from hitting me.

Ive been explicitedly begged by some family members to not stop at MVCs because of this:
http://warchild.blog-city.com/biketoberfest_deaths_sad_tragic_random.htm
The seminole county school teacher was my Aunt Karen. She got hit because she stopped to help and died.

I also dont stop for people laying in the street, grass, or sidewalk late at night, I drive by and call.

This person did his part, he may have not felt safe, there may have not been anything he could do.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Our state took the Good Samaritan Law one step further. If you see a situation where someone needs help and do not at the minimum call 911 and report it, you can be charged with a misdemeanor and fined.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I don't stop unless I see that is a major involvement accident. Sorry, there is little I can do as a first responder except get in the way of the personell. As well, although it is nice for bystanders initially I do appreciate it that they leave as soon as possible.

R/r 911

Hastings

Noobie
I HAVE medical training and I dont always stop and help.

If its too dangerous for me to get out of my car and deliver aide, as in I run a high risk of getting hit because of poor lighting, the cars being in the middle of a busy highway, etc. then I drive by and call 911. I dont have a bright orange vest, big rigs and traffic cones to deter people from hitting me.

Ive been explicitedly begged by some family members to not stop at MVCs because of this:
http://warchild.blog-city.com/biketoberfest_deaths_sad_tragic_random.htm
The seminole county school teacher was my Aunt Karen. She got hit because she stopped to help and died.

I also dont stop for people laying in the street, grass, or sidewalk late at night, I drive by and call.

This person did his part, he may have not felt safe, there may have not been anything he could do.

I've mentioned this before, and I've been heavily criticized for it, but I will NOT provide any level of medical care to strangers off-duty. Calling is absolutely all. Why? Because Good Samaritan laws suck. As a Paramedic, I have nearly ZERO protection even if I provide nothing more than CPR. If someone wants to get some extra money, I'm an easy lawsuit. I don't feel a need to stop when off-duty. I do enough good while on duty.

Just do your part and call. Leave the rest to the people who ARE on duty.

sixmaybemore

Forum Crew Member

I can see in that situation where it would be frustrating. Sorry that it happened (although I'm sure it's not uncommon for various reasons). Did it take you long to find the scene?

OP
OP
EMTWintz

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
I can see in that situation where it would be frustrating. Sorry that it happened (although I'm sure it's not uncommon for various reasons). Did it take you long to find the scene?

If I recall they had 3 towns and 2 state troopers out looking. Took I think 15 min. to find. They had split up and ran north and southbound lanes. Car was in the median

Sasha

Forum Chief
I've mentioned this before, and I've been heavily criticized for it, but I will NOT provide any level of medical care to strangers off-duty. Calling is absolutely all. Why? Because Good Samaritan laws suck. As a Paramedic, I have nearly ZERO protection even if I provide nothing more than CPR. If someone wants to get some extra money, I'm an easy lawsuit. I don't feel a need to stop when off-duty. I do enough good while on duty.

Just do your part and call. Leave the rest to the people who ARE on duty.

Thats different. I wont stop for safety issues, but you are totally entitled to feel that way.

I always have pangs of regret for not stopping, you never know if someone would have benefited from you grabbing C-Spine a few minutes early or if someone is in need of CPR, but yet again, my safety is more important to me.

Hastings

Noobie
Thats different. I wont stop for safety issues, but you are totally entitled to feel that way.

I always have pangs of regret for not stopping, you never know if someone would have benefited from you grabbing C-Spine a few minutes early or if someone is in need of CPR, but yet again, my safety is more important to me.

We both speak of safety. For you, injury. For me, injury, but mostly legal safety.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I agree with hastings. When I'm not working or not in my first responder coverage area I will call and keep on my way. If it's an MVC and I personally witness the collision I stop because I believe that's a law in my state (first 2 vehicles have to stop or something like that), while I'm stopped I'll go check on patients and if I can gain access I'll hold c-spine otherwise I sit in my truck until the cops take my report and tell me I'm on my way.

P.S. I can see how not knowing where your going is frustrating but the caller in general went a step beyond what the average citizen would do in the same situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
Sadly enough, not many people don't know how interstate mile marker's work. Me and the wife will be on a trip and she is simply AMAZED that I know our exit is 88 miles away without using a sign. I had to explain the mile markers to her, she said she never even noticed them until I pointed them out.

I'm sure she isn't the only one