what is the ideal curriculum to be in EMS?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
After a 4 year lay off from EMS I am taking the full NY State EMT class which I did 11 years ago for the first time. There is a picture on the wall of a guy who I took the class with from 11 years ago along with guys I went to high school with. Its really weird!

Back to the topic. I don't think the EMT class is very thorough. My first EMT class wasn't either. Here are some topics I wish we covered more in depth.

Anatomy and Physiology - the college has A&P I & II. I is required for entrance into the paramedic class but not for the EMT class. I think it should be required as entrance into the EMT class, or at least to be taken concurrently.

Medical Terminology - We are in the medical profession. We need to speak the same language as everyone else. This should be a requirement.

Pharmacology- I don't think EMTs should be able to give meds but we should know about them. It is an important part of pt assessment is too find out what medications they are on and allergies.

EVOC Course - We receive no training in emergency vehicle operations. We are just handed the keys and told to drive. This should be a part of the actual EMT class and possibly on the practical exam.

Psychology/Abnormal Psychology - This one shouldn't be a requirement but...We deal with people in highly emotional situations, EDPs, suicide attempts etc.

zvi-emt

Forum Probie
meds

I definitely think that more education about meds would come in handy. The medics always pay very close attention to what meds a patient is on, and i see no reason why emt-b's shouldn't understand most common meds and their effects on our patients.