What do you look for in a partner?

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
C to D cups :)
oddly enough, my dating criteria when I was younger used to be Cs to DDs.....

just watch out if they do CPR, they can knock themselves out if not wearing a good bra lol

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Working as an EMT-I in Manchester NH(911) I work with a Paramedic at all times and I have a couple musts when it comes to a partner.

#1. They are competent and treat their patients to protocol. AKA are not lazy medics.

#2. They have a good sense of humor and can laugh about calls and other parts of the job.

#3. They are clinicians not technicians. One of the biggest things that bothers me about providers is putting a non-rebreather on every patient when they have no clinical findings of shortness of breath also taking spinal precautions on every patient due to MOI.

1 and 3 kinda contradict each other. Treating to protocol and being a clinician don't exactly go hand in hand.

One thing I've noticed about my new partner is his age shows. He's only 2 years younger than myself but there's a time and a place for joking and shenanigans, in the public eye isn't one of them.

Other than that come ride a shift with me and see what I look for in a partner because we are pretty damn compatible.

Brandon275

Forum Probie
NVRob not exactly, what I mean by treating patients to protocol is if a patient is vomiting their brains out giving Zofran or Reglan if it is appropriate to do so. Not just withholding it because they do not want to do the paperwork which unfortunately is all too common from what I have seen. Treating based on assessment is what i mean by a clinician, not what the cookbook protocol says. Not treating based off assessment and knowing the patient needs it and not doing it because your a lazy medic and you don't feel like doing work is what i mean by #1.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
NVRob not exactly, what I mean by treating patients to protocol is if a patient is vomiting their brains out giving Zofran or Reglan if it is appropriate to do so. Not just withholding it because they do not want to do the paperwork which unfortunately is all too common from what I have seen. Treating based on assessment is what i mean by a clinician, not what the cookbook protocol says. Not treating based off assessment and knowing the patient needs it and not doing it because your a lazy medic and you don't feel like doing work is what i mean by #1.

#3 covers #1 nicely actually. Most people who consider themselves clinicians will intervene when called for.

Brandon275

Forum Probie
#3 covers #1 nicely actually. Most people who consider themselves clinicians will intervene when called for.

^^^ Exactly what my point was, well said.

tsktsk

Forum Ride Along
What's worse...a bad partner at a slow station or a good parter at a busy station?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
What's worse...a bad partner at a slow station or a good parter at a busy station?

A good partner. You're around your partner in some capacity no matter how busy you are.

onabemr

Forum Probie
I'm going to take a second to be thankful that:

A) I have a consistent partner

And especially

B) That he's hilarious and great to work with

Not quite the point of the thread, but 100% it makes busy days better, since he knows what he's doing, and it makes slow days awesome because we're in stitches all day, calls or not.

quijibo

Forum Ride Along
I finally have a partner I enjoy and can go through my 24 hour shift with ease. Some key qualities in my opinion are...

*Someone who doesn't complain every time we get called.
*Drives well and curtious to us in the back.
*Smells good.
*Brings a good attitude.
*Clean.
*Flexable.
*Can understand when I'm having a bad day. (I promise to do the same for them).

That's really it. I am a newer EMT (10 months) and that's really all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
I rarely work with the same EMT twice in a month. It's always an EMT as my service runs medic/EMT on all trucks. I have my favorites and those are the ones who are eager to learn, kind and compassionate to the patients and generally fun to be around. I don't expect entertainment, just half decent conversation. I try to keep things fair with the calls. Like the EMT will tech the first basic call (say a discharge or something) and I'll tech the second one. Obviously I get all the ALS calls and most of the EMTs are more than willing to step up and do their fair share of basic calls. There are a select few that just want to drive. I'm sorry, but if you just want to drive you need to go get a CDL and change careers.