What do you carry 24/7 while on or off the job?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm just saying.. You don't know who is going to be a law abiding citizen five minutes from now. We all have the ability to break the law, and a CCW does not prevent that. Don't make such sweeping accusations that all CCW people are law abiding citizens.

I've broken the law before and didn't get caught, as far as the government knows I am completely law abiding.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
Off duty normally just a pair of gloves in a pocket, used to carry a knife religiously, but on campus considering there are 10 cops on patrol at any given time, by the time I'd have it drawn in a bad situation they'd be there 3 times over. So no practical need anymore.

During the week when class is in session (university student) and I've got my backpack on me, have some more toys. Have the front compartment dedicated to it.

-Stethescope
-BP cuff
-CPR mask
-trauma shears
-few green cards (pt info cards for our region/agency)
-gauze
-cling wrap
-tape

and some other random basic first aid stuff for when I stumble upon something

Sasha

Forum Chief
Do you sell the green cards to illegal immigrants

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I would. Living in SD and all...

18G

Paramedic
All I carry on my person is my cell, the "medic phone", drug keys, pager, shears, and my protocol / field reference cards. And even that is way too much but I have no choice. I hate stuff in my pockets or on my side.

And I always bring my backpack with lots of reading stuff... articles, textbooks, latop, etc.

Off-duty... just my cell.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Being a Pat's fan, Brandon Merriweather's name comes immediately to mind. :huh:

It's an accusation. He hasn't been arrested, and from what I can gather, he hasn't even been named a suspect.

Let's try not to call someone guilty until they're convicted in court, OK?

armymedic007

Forum Ride Along
cell phone, wallet, keys, brain, clothes, and fully stocked medic bag stocked for about 6-7 pts (Blackhawk S.T.O.M.P. II) = p

To Conserve the Fighting strength

Last edited by a moderator:

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
It's an accusation. He hasn't been arrested, and from what I can gather, he hasn't even been named a suspect.

Let's try not to call someone guilty until they're convicted in court, OK?

Oh please. This is the second shooting in a few years this kid has been involved with carrying his "legal" weapon. He is just one example, there are plenty more. How many deranged fathers have murdered their entire family with a legally owned gun? Or shot up their workplace? Or used it in a drug deal, robbery, etc..?

I'm not against gun ownership, however lets not kid ourselves, it is much easier to kill a dozen people with a handgun than with a knife.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh please. This is the second shooting in a few years this kid has been involved with carrying his "legal" weapon. He is just one example, there are plenty more. How many deranged fathers have murdered their entire family with a legally owned gun? Or shot up their workplace? Or used it in a drug deal, robbery, etc..?

The first shooting was ruled in self defense by someone who had all of the facts in front of them. Do you have the case file in front of you? Have you come across new evidence showing his guilt?

Also, why is 'legal' in quotes?

As for your other comment... I don't know. Find some sources, and post it here, showing how many deranged fathers with CCW permits have murdered their entire family with a legally owned firearm.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
As opposed to mudering half a dozen kids with a bathtub? Muderous intent will find a way, whether through a gun or a brick.

I'm not against gun ownership, however lets not kid ourselves, it is much easier to kill a dozen people with a handgun than with a knife.
Are you sure? Depending on where I do it I might be able to kill a dozen with a knife as easily as I can kill them with a handgun.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm just saying.. You don't know who is going to be a law abiding citizen five minutes from now. We all have the ability to break the law, and a CCW does not prevent that. Don't make such sweeping accusations that all CCW people are law abiding citizens.

I've broken the law before and didn't get caught, as far as the government knows I am completely law abiding.

They may not ALL be law abiding citizens, but I'd venture to say that CCW holders as a whole, are less likely to commit a crime than the general population.

Edit:

Texas conviction rates of CHL (Concealed Handgun License) holders vs. the general population of Texas: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/convrates.htm

(If anyone has links to other states that have similar data, I'd be interested in seeing it. This was the only one that I could find, but I doubt other states would have staggeringly different numbers.)

armymedic007

Forum Ride Along
As opposed to mudering half a dozen kids with a bathtub? Muderous intent will find a way, whether through a gun or a brick

Some things we just can't fix no matter how hard we try... however I can put on my superman cape, run down the street and pretend to fly, and get people to look at me like I'm crazy

I can also run thru the nice little medic steps and fix what i can but i like the cape better :p

Super Tampons for GSW = awesome (kidding btw)

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
As opposed to mudering half a dozen kids with a bathtub? Muderous intent will find a way, whether through a gun or a brick.

Are you sure? Depending on where I do it I might be able to kill a dozen with a knife as easily as I can kill them with a handgun.

Try drowning your co-workers in a tub. It's not that murder can't happen without a gun, it just makes it a whole lot easier to kill in numbers with one.

Look at the legal gun owner in Arizona, how long did it take him to kill a half dozen and wound a bunch more? How many do you think he would have killed with a knife? Why do you think manufacturers market extended magazines? Do you think you need 20 bullets? 30? The idea behind a handgun is close interpersonal violence. Yes, people shoot paper and hunt with them, but it's true design is for close quarters combat. Putting a foot long magazine in a handgun is retarded, it makes the weapon harder to conceal and unbalances it. They are sold because the media glamorizes it and idiots buy into it.

Where does the 2nd ammendment end? Do we draw the line at assualt rifles? How about hand grenades, or crew served weapons? If the 2nd ammendment was put in place to allow the citizens to have the ability to change the government, I'd rather have access to fighter aircraft and tanks.
Where do we draw the line?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Look at the legal gun owner in Arizona, how long did it take him to kill a half dozen and wound a bunch more? How many do you think he would have killed with a knife? Why do you think manufacturers market extended magazines? Do you think you need 20 bullets? 30? The idea behind a handgun is close interpersonal violence. Yes, people shoot paper and hunt with them, but it's true design is for close quarters combat. Putting a foot long magazine in a handgun is retarded, it makes the weapon harder to conceal and unbalances it. They are sold because the media glamorizes it and idiots buy into it.

Who ever said anything about extended magazines?

As for the shooter in Arizona, I'm not sure how many rounds his magazine held. However, it really doesn't matter if he had a 10 round magazine, or a 20 round magazine. It doesn't take that long to drop one, and insert another.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8j1BGhjOf0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

^^Shooting in a Detroit police precinct not that long ago. That officer shot the suspect at point blank range twice, and he still continued to attack. Shootouts aren't these clean, one round affairs. I don't carry an extended magazine for reasons you pointed out (hard to conceal, unbalances the firearm), but I do carry extras.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I carry some very important stuff on me 24/7.

- 1 million dollars
- get out of jail free card(very hard to come by)
- a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car.
- a test capsule of Charlie Sheen's Tiger blood.
- Jimmy Hoffa's left testicle.
- Hognus Wagner baseball card
- The exact location of Waldo and Carmen Sandiego

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Try drowning your co-workers in a tub. It's not that murder can't happen without a gun, it just makes it a whole lot easier to kill in numbers with one.
Aside from the fact that's not the scenario presented, I've got literally dozens of ways to kill coworkers of I choose to. How many do you think the typical office water cooler or coffee pot would kill if tampered with?

Look at the legal gun owner in Arizona, how long did it take him to kill a half dozen and wound a bunch more? How many do you think he would have killed with a knife?
In that kinda crowd? Probably could have easily killed three or four with the right mindset.
Why do you think manufacturers market extended magazines? Do you think you need 20 bullets? 30?
I used to shoot competitively in a sport which 20 and 30 round handgun magazines were regularly used. None of my guns ever got pointed at anything other than paper.
The idea behind a handgun is close interpersonal violence. Yes, people shoot paper and hunt with them, but it's true design is for close quarters combat.
A handgun is a downright sh!tty choice if you EXPECT violence. A handgun is useful because it's easily portable and you can have access to when you don't expect violence.
Putting a foot long magazine in a handgun is retarded, it makes the weapon harder to conceal and unbalances it. They are sold because the media glamorizes it and idiots buy into it.
You think the same glamorization might have a little to do with the spike in mass murder/suicides? So maybe we should ban 24 hour coverage of those?
Where does the 2nd ammendment end?
No where.
Do we draw the line at assualt rifles? How about hand grenades, or crew served weapons?
I don't honestly have an issue here...
If the 2nd ammendment was put in place to allow the citizens to have the ability to change the government, I'd rather have access to fighter aircraft and tanks.
Where do we draw the line?
Your getting the idea now. There isn't a line to be drawn. Look at Lybia.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This is NOT the forum to discuss the pros and cons of people carrying weapons, so take those discussions elsewhere.