What are some of the best PHTLS providers?

lacountylifeguard

Forum Probie
I am interested in more EMS training and I have seen several PHTLS providers online. What are some of the best ones (and which are the providers to avoid)?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It's just a canned curriculum, like ACLS or PALS. If you take a hybrid course, you'll take the didactic portion online and then take the skills portion on line.

http://www.naemt.org/education/PHTLS/PHTLScourses.aspx

It doesn't really matter where you take it. It's just another merit badge class.

This ^^^

I just did my re-cert last months and they are watering it down quite a bit. In a few cases people that failed on skills and the test were still passed because they tried or showed some improvement.

That said there is some good information you can get from the class if you have never taken a trauma specific class or your program didn't spend much time on it......it really focuses on assessment and sick or not sick.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
This ^^^

I just did my re-cert last months and they are watering it down quite a bit. In a few cases people that failed on skills and the test were still passed because they tried or showed some improvement.

That said there is some good information you can get from the class if you have never taken a trauma specific class or your program didn't spend much time on it......it really focuses on assessment and sick or not sick.

Well that sucks. Do you know if it was just the particular class you were at that was watering stuff down, or is that all across the board?

I've been thinking about signing up for a PHTLS course from UCLA. I also noticed there's an Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS) course listed. Anyone ever hear of it? Is it any good? Would it be something an EMT can take and pass or is it all Medic level stuff?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
The course itself has not been watered down. That would be the individual instructor altering the curriculum. AMLS is great for the new provider, but a class you will only want to take once.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Well that sucks. Do you know if it was just the particular class you were at that was watering stuff down, or is that all across the board?

I've been thinking about signing up for a PHTLS course from UCLA. I also noticed there's an Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS) course listed. Anyone ever hear of it? Is it any good? Would it be something an EMT can take and pass or is it all Medic level stuff?

The course itself has not been watered down. That would be the individual instructor altering the curriculum. AMLS is great for the new provider, but a class you will only want to take once.

I think it was the class I attended.

It was my third time doing PHTLS. It was the first time there was only 1 instructor. There was a second but she wasn't there most of the day and did not teach or lecture once) The main instructor was an AEMT and the one that didn't do anything was a Medic. I was the only medic in the class. The rest were all basics... half had never work on a truck before. It was also the first time I had taken it where there weren't any RNs, PAs, or MD/DOs taking or teaching the class.

The instructor asked had me answer several questions from the rest of the class for whatever reason.

There were no skill stations. You do scenarios and initial assessments. Not sure if that is a course change or the site.

I took the course in Maine as it is $200+ cheaper than doing it in Canada...... won't be doing that again.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
It's just a canned curriculum, like ACLS or PALS. If you take a hybrid course, you'll take the didactic portion online and then take the skills portion on line.

http://www.naemt.org/education/PHTLS/PHTLScourses.aspx

It doesn't really matter where you take it. It's just another merit badge class.
I'd have to agree. It's just another merit badge course. That's not to say that you can't get anything valuable from it, but for the most part, if you know your stuff, it's going to be mostly redundant material.

In any event, if you're putting on a class and it's going to be taught to lots of people by other people, you're going to want to set the course up in a "canned curriculum" manner so that everyone that attends that course gets the information you want them to get, no matter where they attend the course.

AMLS is going to be a little more difficult to "can" in that manner, but if you set up the class to run over a few days, then it's absolutely possible to do it without watering it down to "run in the time allotted" to borrow a line from TV movie presentations. ;)

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
This ^^^

This makes me want to beat my head against the wall. It's not like it's that complicated in the first place.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd have to agree. It's just another merit badge course. That's not to say that you can't get anything valuable from it, but for the most part, if you know your stuff, it's going to be mostly redundant material.

In any event, if you're putting on a class and it's going to be taught to lots of people by other people, you're going to want to set the course up in a "canned curriculum" manner so that everyone that attends that course gets the information you want them to get, no matter where they attend the course.

AMLS is going to be a little more difficult to "can" in that manner, but if you set up the class to run over a few days, then it's absolutely possible to do it without watering it down to "run in the time allotted" to borrow a line from TV movie presentations. ;)

I think the course I was looking at was 16 hrs in two days. Would that be cropped to run in the time allotted scenario?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I think the course I was looking at was 16 hrs in two days. Would that be cropped to run in the time allotted scenario?
Two days/16 hours is the normal amount of time that AMLS runs. I was referring to watering it down so that you'd be able to get an initial cert in 1 day/8 hours. I'm not a fan of doing that...