What are jobs that can help with EMS/Medical skills or knowledge?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Basically looking for jobs that would complement current and future skill sets.

Like being a medical scribe, pharmacy or ER Tech. Any other jobs that might be useful to learn from?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I think the problem is that we are are kind of a jack of all trades or whatever people say. Any medical job you get will probably help, but only with a small part of it. Even being an EMT in thd hospital, being a floor or emergency room tech, will only help a little. Like if you become a scribe, you might learn more medical terms, get better with documentation, and learn how doctors assess patients. As a tech in the hospital, you might do more than a typical EMT or be a glorified bed maker. Usually I think techs miss out on assessments, manual vitals (at the BLS level), and have better tools to do stuff the ambulance doesn't have (make a cast instead of a splint). Pharmacy tech would probably really know their medications and be able to figure out patient history easily by looking at their meds, but that's it. They all help, but only a little. I would say if the hospital lets you do a lot or you try to assess patients/ask questions when working at the hospital, an emergency room tech is probably the best. That still loses the aspect of transport, having to move the patient from awkward positions, and the documentation being more limited, if any.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I think the problem is that we are are kind of a jack of all trades or whatever people say. Any medical job you get will probably help, but only with a small part of it. Even being an EMT in thd hospital, being a floor or emergency room tech, will only help a little. Like if you become a scribe, you might learn more medical terms, get better with documentation, and learn how doctors assess patients. As a tech in the hospital, you might do more than a typical EMT or be a glorified bed maker. Usually I think techs miss out on assessments, manual vitals (at the BLS level), and have better tools to do stuff the ambulance doesn't have (make a cast instead of a splint). Pharmacy tech would probably really know their medications and be able to figure out patient history easily by looking at their meds, but that's it. They all help, but only a little. I would say if the hospital lets you do a lot or you try to assess patients/ask questions when working at the hospital, an emergency room tech is probably the best. That still loses the aspect of transport, having to move the patient from awkward positions, and the documentation being more limited, if any.

That's kinda been my line of thinking. Thanks for summing it up and giving insight