Whacker Stories!

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
wtf do you do with a 21g needing in your wallet???? what if you sit on it the wrong way and it pierces your butt? I can understand the swabs, and the tape (hell, my ambulance bumper guard is being held together by 3 inch elasticon tape), but a 21g needle? that's just scary.

Well its sheathed and sits in line with the rest of the thick leather wallet, in a pocket that I don't sit on...so its not really a big concern of mine.

Beside...ladies love a man who lives dangerously ;)

Most common uses include:
-prying that really annoying tiny bit of steak out of your teeth.
-opening frustrating packaging.
-resetting electronic appliances through those tiny holes.
-carving your phone number into the wrists of hot twilight fans.

Simusid

Forum Captain
I was at my son's little league game last week when a kid got a cleat in the thigh. I didn't think much of it, I saw him walk off the field and I turned back to the game. In a few minutes I realized that he was on the bench with more and more concerned parents crowding around him. I thought I heard someone ask for an ice pack, then I saw a mom sit on the grass with her head in her hands being consoled by someone. There was no yelling, no panic, and I could see the kid still upright.

I subdued my inner whacker all the way up until a woman trotted over to the car next to mine and brought out a tiny first aid kit. I have an embarrisingly large bag in my car and I was JUUUUUST starting to consider walking over with it when I heard the siren in the distance so I just stayed out of the way and I'm glad I did!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
woah, some crazy ricky rescues around.

Yeah, but have you seen that guy who wants to leap from a big red and yellow helicopter in an orange jumpsuit carrying a Thomas Pack?

Then again, he doesn't have lights on his car so I dno ..... :D

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You know how you can distinguish a professional EMS provider pov from a normal civilian POV's? .... You can't.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
What's wrong with a scanner or five, and a few two-way radios to boot?

pork4.jpg

pork3.jpg

:eek:

Some folks in the 4x4 SAR group in my county have cars that are almost as bad as the above pictures (Plus lightbars)... when there's no room for the people and gear you're supposed to be hauling up old logging roads because of the radios and computers... :unsure:

lightsandsirens5 said:
Nothing against Arkansas here, but once, while driving through, I saw a guy in a mini-van replete with a full blown LED lighting package. Full size lightbar, multiple grille lights, lights in each back window ans a full size traffic arrow in the back window.

There's a WA fire department that owns a couple of minivans rigged up with lightbars and sirens. As far as I can tell, they're used mostly by people going to and from out-of-area classes and the like.

I do keep a decent FA kit in my car, and my SAR pack, and have a mobile VHF radio with various SAR frequencies programmed into it, and hopefully soon a more general purpose ham radio... but nothing excessive. It's not whackerhood when there's a legitimate reason to carry something, after all. And no extra lights! For personal EDC, first-aid wise, I carry a pair of gloves, some bandaids in my wallet, and a CPR mask on my keychain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theo

Forum Crew Member
I was at the grocery store the other day and saw a car in the lot with no less than 20-30 EMS/FF stickers on it. Most of which were on the back window. It had to be some sort of driving hazard. The owner of the car was easy to distinguish when I went into the store.

You know how you can distinguish a professional EMS provider pov from a normal civilian POV's? .... You can't.

Well put.