Were you ever told you couldn't make it as an EMT?

akionabr

Forum Ride Along
I am highly interested in becoming an EMT. I've done a ride along, took a few medical related courses, and read a lot, so I have set becoming an EMT as a goal of mine. I started working at a local hospital a few months ago as a Lab Assistant (Phlebotomist). Anyway, this job was a little frustrating at times as this is all new to me, and I wasn't certified since I didn't attend schooling. I went from being a cook straight to phlebotomist Anyway, I got a lot of compliments on my draws from a few people, and from a lot of patients as well. I've made mistakes here and there, some small, some not so small.

Anyway, my "trainer" who I cannot stand at all came to me and talked to me. He said he thinks I wouldn't make a good EMT at all. He claims it is the same thing as working here in the lab, with documentation, speed etc. and that I couldn't handle it. He also mentioned how I wouldn't be able to ask for help if I get a hard stick like I do now (Sometimes I have trouble finding a good vein, as does most others I work with). But again, I just started working here and mostly everyone else here has been working a lot longer than me. This "trainer" has worked here for a year and is good at what he does, but he is constantly on me for things that he would just show me once, then expect me to do it super fast with accuracy at 100 percent... with my first time doing it... like really dude?

Furthermore, he had the nerve to ask what's wrong with me... I am not super outgoing, and so he asked why I always seem nervous etc, but really I am not! He asked if I would say hi to a random stranger, and I said not unless if I have to.. like why would I do that??? That's weird!!

I am glad I got a new job and will be moving on to becoming a dispatcher for a private ambulance service in a week.

Anyway, thanks for the long read. What he said really stabbed me... but I can't let him get to me I guess... This "trainer" is the same age as me by the way, and he doesn't even go to school or know what he has to know to be a x-ray person (He was thinking of being one, but didn't know he needed to learn other things besides just pushing a button)...

One semester left until I can apply for the EMT program here..

Mahalo,

Brandon

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Not putting off your story, but was there a question in there or was it just the story?

OP
OP
A

akionabr

Forum Ride Along
Not putting off your story, but was there a question in there or was it just the story?

Good question, I just felt the need to rant.. Also wanted to know if anyone else had been told they couldn't do something, but ended up succeeding.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Also wanted to know if anyone else had been told they couldn't do something, but ended up succeeding.

OJ Simpson.

In fairness though you already know the answer, you think other guy is wrong and that's enough for you to go with your own instinct

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
What Irish said. I don't give a damn what someone thinks I can or can not do. If I want to do something, I'm going to do it, I'm going to succeed, and I'm going to be damn good at what I do. That attitude hasn't let me down yet. Be honest with yourself, but also be confident.

MkVity

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
I want to reply, biting my lip for now. But do you have any positive experiences? How long have you been there fully and what was the ride along like? Rough age category(no offense)?

Mark

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
People tell things like this to other people all the time. Sometimes they do it out of their own insecurities, sometimes they do it because they think they know what the other job entails and they think they know you. Being an EMT is quite different from being a phlebotomist. I'm sure you've figured this out by now. You won't really know if you're unsuited for the job until you've gone through the training and you've started getting some experience. The training itself isn't that difficult but what makes it hard is that it's presented at a fairly fast rate and it's up to you to keep up with it. One of the other issues with EMT training is that it's not really in sync with how they're normally used and when you're doing those ever-so-boring interfacility runs for the umpteenth time that day, it can become upsetting that you were training for one thing but doing something totally different and that can allow you to become very complacent about things.

While I enjoy the challenge of doing various patient care activities and procedures, it's the interaction that I get that is more enjoyable and I like that to this day. I've gone to Paramedic school and Nursing school and I find it absolutely fun to take some time to just listen to my patients. It makes them feel like I'm concerned about them and I often get to learn about history from them, learning details about things that never made it to the history books...

But I made my own decision to do patient care and I certainly can do it... it's up to you to decide if you can do it.

OP
OP
A

akionabr

Forum Ride Along
I want to reply, biting my lip for now. But do you have any positive experiences? How long have you been there fully and what was the ride along like? Rough age category(no offense)?

Mark

Positive experiences in my current job? Yes, I aced the test we needed to pass to be able to continue the job, as well as compliments from many patients and co workers. I did enjoy it, but it is getting repetitive. The ride along was fun, the most traumatic patient injury we had was a head injury, so nothing too crazy.. I found it rather interesting though. I am 20 about to turn 21.

MkVity

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
Positive experiences in my current job? Yes, I aced the test we needed to pass to be able to continue the job, as well as compliments from many patients and co workers. I did enjoy it, but it is getting repetitive.

Good focus on the positive, ignore the negatives! Like the guys above stay on your path and try to ignore any negativity that gets in your way(normally its people that realize they should have done what you did, so have to ***** at their own failings IMO). Positive reinforcement just keep thinking of your end goal. We all have obstacles to climb some easier than others. ;)

MotorMedic

Forum Ride Along
I was told from the get go that I shouldn't even try to be an EMT because I didnt handle seeing blood very well when I was younger. But, I pushed on anyway and now work for a rural paid-per-call ambulance and fire district. Just because someone doesnt think you will do fine, doesnt mean anything. Buckle down, get your training and see how it goes. If it doesnt work out, there are other jobs in the EMS system to help people. Thats why we do this is to help people. If you arent helping because you cant handle it, try something else. Hold your head up and get the job done.

BigBad

Forum Crew Member
1/3 of the job is medical competency
1/3 of the job is medical skills
1/3 of the job is people skills- IE not scaring your patients or co workers or staff with your deameanor. Building trust in the short minutes you are with you patient. Flat affect doesn't last long in this biz. You work in a field of compassion and it's a necessity.
.01% is humbleness and listening to all criticism and not coming up with excuses to retort. Act like a vulnerable human being and you will go far.

I've seen tons of people come and go, and there is nothing myself and my coworkers can't teach you it's always a person's attitude that gets them fired or to quit.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Good question, I just felt the need to rant.. Also wanted to know if anyone else had been told they couldn't do something, but ended up succeeding.

My first career (which I still do) is violinist. I had a music teacher my sophomore year in high school that I idolized. I told him that I wanted to get a degree in music someday. His response? He laughed at me. I knew in my heart that I had what it took to be a damned good violinist. He succeeded in firing me up and making me work even harder. Long story sort of short, I became a really good and successful violinist. (Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging. Just want to prove my point) Don't let anyone ever tell you what they think you know. Only you know what you are capable of. The only way to truly find out is to go for it.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I was only 22 when I started paramedic school after 4 years on active duty with the Army. I had no experience as an EMT, so I was really green.

I did my field time as a paramedic student at the same agency I worked at as a part-time EMT/driver. My primary preceptor was a crusty old guy named Chris (at least he seemed old at the time, was probably actually only like 30 or 32). Good paramedic but a total d-bag. Told me all the time how he didn't know how I even got into paramedic school. Got so bad that even without me saying anything, the other paramedics around talked to the school and found me a different preceptor.

Less than two years after finishing paramedic school I got hired by a local HEMS agency that turned down medics with literally 10x the experience I had - including Chris.

I went on to have a very successful career. Flying, teaching, writing textbooks, speaking at the national level.

Tell the Chris in your life to suck it.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I was only 22 when I started paramedic school after 4 years on active duty with the Army. I had no experience as an EMT, so I was really green.

I did my field time as a paramedic student at the same agency I worked at as a part-time EMT/driver. My primary preceptor was a crusty old guy named Chris (at least he seemed old at the time, was probably actually only like 30 or 32). Good paramedic but a total d-bag. Told me all the time how he didn't know how I even got into paramedic school. Got so bad that even without me saying anything, the other paramedics around talked to the school and found me a different preceptor.

Less than two years after finishing paramedic school I got hired by a local HEMS agency that turned down medics with literally 10x the experience I had - including Chris.

I went on to have a very successful career. Flying, teaching, writing textbooks, speaking at the national level.

Can I have your autograph? Haha! What texts did you write?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Dang @Christopher what a jerk...

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
Hey OP,

I haven't posted in a long time but I had been thinking about this issue lately so I thought I would share.

I have been teaching Paramedics for a while now. I started posting on this forum in EMT school, and it's super interesting for me to look back at the questions I asked and things I wrote when I was newer and less experienced.

I am really torn about this issue. As a Paramedic Instructor I honestly believe that I can teach nearly anyone to be a Paramedic. It's really just a matter of time, and their dedication. In my time I have only identified two ingrained traits, both of which I have seen people change with hard work, that I think you MUST have to be successful in EMS. Beware, these are just my opinions.

I don't think that you can't learn or fix these two things, but I do think that they can't be taught. I think I can teach people everything else about this job. These two things though, my students have either just had, or after I tell them that it's lacking they are able to self correct.

1) You must have a strong stomach. This is just one of those things. I have had a few students (EMT, as rarely would this person make it to Paramedic School) who simply had too strong a physical sympathetic (not the physiologic term, the sympathy one) response to things like vomiting, blood, feces, smells ETC. This is usually an easy one to deal with as the student realizes on their own that they are not cut out for this work. As stated earlier I have seen people overcome this with work and exposure though.

2) The ability to make decisions in the face of unknown outcomes and consequences. This, in my experience has been the #1 cause for some of the things that I hear in your description of your issues. What I mean by this is that part of working in Emergency Medicine is being comfortable with risk. You will be asked to do things that have consequence without having ever been taught about the specifics of the situation. I have countless times had EMT's and Paramedics say to me "We were never taught this in class." and I respond by saying that goes for about 50% of what we do. You MUST poses the creative decision making ability and problem solving required to fix problems you have never heard or thought about in realtime.

I was having trouble with this "outgoing-ness" issue in my Feild Training as an EMT a long time ago. My FTO, a brilliant woman with decades of EMS experience explained to me the concept of being able to solve a problem that you have never been asked to consider or directly been given tools to handle. She demonstrated this concept by taking my wallet and dropping me off at a coffee shop telling me to bring back three coffees. I had no money, was brand new, and thought she was crazy. She then said "If we get a call we're leaving you so you better hurry."

I was so stressed, what the hell was this. Was I being hazed? This felt like BS. I have to go beg for coffee?

Well I sucked it up, went inside and just said "hey I'm on probation and I have to get coffee but forgot my wallet, can I come back after shift to pay?" They of course gave it to me for free. I came back and had a long talk about the ability to operate independently. And how a person who has to be told both what to do and how to do it is pretty much useless. This is the concept that your trainer may be trying to point at when they ask about "talking to strangers", of course they are clearly failing to effectively teach you anything because of their attitude though.

If you can get past those two things, then all it takes is hard work and dedication and you can be a great EMT.

Additionally phlebotomists, whether they have been on the job for a year or ten are in no way qualified to understand what it takes to be a successful EMT so feel free to ignore them completely.