Water Rescue Class

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
OK on another forum we were discussing hunters drowning while enroute to their honeyhole. Well the initial story is two groups set out for a morning hunt on two different boats. One boat appearently had an unforseen leak causing it to sink. 2 hunters were able to make it to safety and the 3rd died by drowning. Hunters wear a great deal of clothing to stay warm on chilly mornings. Waders, Jackets, underlayers, etc. So they really get bogged down when they get wet, thus making it very difficult to swim or to even stay afloat.

I know the common sense thing to do is to wear a lifevest but as you know there will be a few that refuse to wear one for whatever reason. I want to know with me getting into this stuff would it be wise for me to take a dive/water rescue class in case I find myself or my buddies in the above predicament. We are also discussing if Neoprene waters actually help with floating, but Id hate to be the one to find outif thats actually true or not. :whatchutalkingabout

So whats it take to get into a dive/water rescue class and whats it like??

Thanks,
CP

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
CP,

Our state fire academy offers water rescue classes, but I haven't been given the golden leaf to go to these classes so I don't know what all they intale, but you could go to http://www.llr.state.sc.us/scfireac and find out from the course info what all they are teaching.