Washington State EMS Certification Question

Drax

Forum Captain
A little confused on this. :blink:

"An EMS provider completing training through an education program, or having a certificate as an EMR, EMT, AEMT, or a paramedic through a national examination, does not take the place of certification as a EMS provider with the Washington State Department of Health.

You must have a Department of Health EMS provider credential, association with a Department of Health licensed or approved EMS agency, and supervision of the County Medical Program Director (MPD) through MPD approved field patient care protocols to legally perform prehospital emergency patient care."

Washington State Department of Health,
http://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermi...neworUpdate/EMSEducationandCertification.aspx

My understanding is that I can not work as an EMT in the state of Washington without certification/license from the state. I know that I am to look for a "sponsor" in order to get this certification/license. But the company I was just hired by doesn't sponsor their EMTs. How can I work for them unless I already have a job as an EMT elsewhere where I receive sponsorship?

Is this certification requirement specific to the type of job you'll be doing (Like Private Ambulance versus Inter-facility)? I'm not sure why it would matter considering the "emergent" nature of the job is applicable whenever patient you're caring for has a medical emergency.

And if I did have a job elsewhere as an EMT, where I was sponsored, say a private ambulance company, would I be able to work somewhere they don't sponsor you as an EMT but still have you perform the duties as an EMT?

Does a Washington state certification "hang around" even after you have left the employer you got it from?

Additional information: I have an approved EMT-B course completion certification and NREMT certification.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
But the company I was just hired by doesn't sponsor their EMTs. How can I work for them unless I already have a job as an EMT elsewhere where I receive sponsorship?

You can't. How can you work as an EMT for them if they don't sponsor you? Sounds shady. (Like a job at a certain shipyard I know of...)

Is this certification requirement specific to the type of job you'll be doing (Like Private Ambulance versus Inter-facility)? I'm not sure why it would matter considering the "emergent" nature of the job is applicable whenever patient you're caring for has a medical emergency.

No. A card is a card.

And if I did have a job elsewhere as an EMT, where I was sponsored, say a private ambulance company, would I be able to work somewhere they don't sponsor you as an EMT but still have you perform the duties as an EMT?

Not legally, since they're not an "official" EMS agency.

Does a Washington state certification "hang around" even after you have left the employer you got it from?

You can transfer to a new agency with your existing certification. However, when your cert expires if you're not affiliated with a legit agency, no recert.

Additional information: I have an approved EMT-B course completion certification and NREMT certification.

Means nothing until you've been hired by an official WA EMS agency, received your cert and been cleared by a doc.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
What DEmedic said. No state card till you get sponsored by a Washington state agency. Do you mind pm'img me the new "ems" job you got? What part of the state are you in? If in the Seattle area apply to trimed. You'll get your state card "quick."

RMPNW

Forum Probie
If the company is not a licensed EMS agency and cannot sponsor you, you cannot get your state certification. If you leave your affiliated state agency your certification becomes "INOPERABLE" until you obtain affiliation with another agency so even if you get your cert and leave your EMT is no longer valid. With an NREMT-Basic certificate you can apply for reciprocity in Washington however once you find a sponsoring agency you will have to complete the state required 7 hour HIV AIDS course and depending when you took it last you may have to take the NREMT written exam again as Washington requires it within 1 year for reciprocity.

greg42

Forum Ride Along
Further certification question for Washington State.

I have a sponsoring agency in WA state.

I am interested in completing my EMT-B training in another state, so for certification in WA, I would need:

a. take and pass NREMT
b. 7 hour BBP class

This is what I gleaned from the WA EMS site, but it is not particularly helpful on this matter, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically, I am interested in answers to the following questions:

1. Is my understanding of the requirements accurate?

2. Are there specific Washington State criteria for the EMT course I take other than it has to make me eligible to take the NREMT?