was physiology hard for you?

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
I got the anatomy down pretty well. EMT class starts in June. It's a quick course lasts four weeks opposed to the 4 month long class. Instead of two days a week for 4 hours, its everyday 8-4:30 pm. I got my book early and have been reading through it. Was physiology hard for anybody else? I must have read the physiology part of the heart 7 times and its still not making full sense. I'm getting the terms well... Just how the cardiovascular system works in general is giving me a headache. Was this hard for you as well?

Sorry for my grammar on my.Mobile

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Pathophysiology is the fun part. Once you get a grasp on patho you can understand your patients illness and the rationale behind your interventions.

What in particular do you not understand?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
Pathophysiology is the fun part. Once you get a grasp on patho you can understand your patients illness and the rationale behind your interventions.

What in particular do you not understand?

See that's what I'm excited for! I guess its just different from what they taught me in school... Lol. "This is your aorta." Lol you know? Now its like I'm getting down to a cellular level of how the heart actually works in one beat... And it takes up like three pages. I got done reading three pages and it said something like, "and then the process keeps repeating" three pages to describe one beat of the heart! It's amazing. its just a lot of memorization but I'm getting it down better with each read. I am a tad confused on the gas exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the body. I read it in the respiratory system chapter and it came up again in the cardiovascular section. If I could find a video on YouTube that explains this process I will be aces. It's so interesting. I am a very visual person when it comes to learning.

Last edited by a moderator:

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I'd recommend searching Youtube for Jonathan Christie A&P 232. He does a great job of explaining it. For that matter search his name for A&P 231 and A&P 233. Good stuff.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
I find anatomy harder, physiology is a concept or process whereas anatomy is a never ending list of bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments etc, yuck!

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I did pretty well on anatomy and most of physiology, but neuro solidly kicked my butt. I just don't understand how the brain works.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I got the anatomy down pretty well. EMT class starts in June. It's a quick course lasts four weeks opposed to the 4 month long class. Instead of two days a week for 4 hours, its everyday 8-4:30 pm. I got my book early and have been reading through it. Was physiology hard for anybody else? I must have read the physiology part of the heart 7 times and its still not making full sense. I'm getting the terms well... Just how the cardiovascular system works in general is giving me a headache. Was this hard for you as well?

Consider purchasing a physiology book if you are interested and want to actually learn it. The standard is Guyton. 3 pages is a ridiculously short amount. In comparison, I own specific books dedicated to renal and respiratory physiology alone. However it gets you by the EMT class, but understanding physiology is fundamental to good practice.

Additionally, if you have specific questions on concepts feel free to shoot them out (as long as its not homework/test). Many people here have a lot of education in physiology.

EMS 911

Forum Probie

I loved pathophysiology so much that I took a second course in it. However, I admit that I am a bit of a science fanatic and my courses have greatly helped me as a medic. The cardiovascular system was always a bit more complicated for me to learn, but it gets easier as time goes on. However, some of my classmates has a harder time with neuro or endocrine which were easy for me.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Now its like I'm getting down to a cellular level of how the heart actually works in one beat... And it takes up like three pages. I got done reading three pages and it said something like, "and then the process keeps repeating" three pages to describe one beat of the heart! It's amazing

Ha! There are whole books on the cellular processes of the heart.... As you advance in EMS this base knowledge will be helpful. I remember thinking what you are thinking right now... then when I started studying paramedic level texts I was happy to have been exposed to it in the past.

In my opinion, every level of EMS education exposes you to more than you need to know to practice at that level, but prepares you for the next level.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I'm just finishing up my second semester of A&P, and even though I find most of it interesting, it has not been an easy ride. The first semester seemed like a hazing exercise meant to weed people out of healthcare. Most of the students in the class were going into a BSN program, and more than a few decided to rethink their career plans as a result of the class.

If you ever plan on doing college level A&P I would avoid doing an accelerated 15 week summer class unless you plan on making that class your full time job and have a talent for memorization.