Warning: Very Graphic Photos

Medic8388

Forum Ride Along
I don't believe that pictures, videos, or any other media can prepare you for the awful things you may encounter in the field. The reason for this is, like so many other people have said, pictures leave out the emotional aspect of emergencies. You can look at open femur fractures all day long, but thats not going to help you in the field when you have to work with a patient who is hurting so bad he wont cooperate. We are not just there to physical healing and comfort to our patients we are also there to provide emotional healing to our patients and their families. I have found in my limited experience that if you are able to calm someone down and let them know everything is going to be ok you can make a world of difference for them.

As a medic I am often asked 'whats the worst thing you've ever seen?" The reply is always "a devastated family".

Andrew Woodard

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Desesitize?

i dont want to desensetize,I dont think we should become unfeeling zombie who can look on trgedy and suffering without feeling. All we can do is try to handle every call professionaly, with respect and dignity. I always tell myself I did not put that person into whatever the situation maybe.All I can do is to return them to their loved ones. After several years some things still get to me I remain professional while on-scene,then I allow myself to have whatever response is appropriate in private. Just remember we are still humans, dont let yourself get cold and unfeeling it will only bring on burn out.