waiting on National Registry results! argggg!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually, state EMS representatives and as well educational institutions that are associated with NREMT was informed of the date, what material, would be administered.

I too am not a big NREMT, but way too many times, people give NREMT too much power. It is only a testing company, and in which they did give notice on what portion, date and skills would be changing. This came as well with the computer base testing.

Looking through my emails, the first notice that there will be a change was almost over a year ago, to be aware and look for the official date. The reason was to be sure all candidates and students would have ample opportunity to be able to learn new material. I was informed about spring that the candidates could take either the old or new until Jan. 2007, then would be tested over new standards.

I am not sure, since it is has been a while since I was a NREMT rep, but some states keep tests at their facilities and a designee is delegated to maintain security and process applications. Why I asked about the forms, is because NREMT requires a large amount of paperwork to be processed through.. such as course I.D. number, Instructor number, clinical hours, etc.. so again, this appears to be back at the state level.

I am not sure if you investigated the NREMT web site, but this is posted within it ...http://www.nremt.org/about/article_00027_AHA_Test_Revision.asp

........The NREMT Announces Plan to Incorporate the Revised AHA Guidelines on NREMT Exams
By Gregg S Margolis, PhD.
Posted 02/22/2006

The NREMT recognizes that the EMS community is in a transition period as medical directors, EMS agencies, EMS educational programs, and States implement the 2005 American Heart Association Guidelines for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care. In conjunction with this transition, the NREMT will be revising examinations as follows:

After June 1, 2006 the NREMT will publish interim pencil-and-paper EMT-Basic and First Responder Exams. After September 1, 2006 the NREMT will publish interim Paramedic, EMT-Intermediate (85 and 99) Exams. The interim examinations will be constructed so that candidates will not be penalized for being trained over either 2000 or 2005 AHA Guidelines for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care.

After January 1, 2007 all NREMT cognitive and psychomotor exams will reflect 2005 American Heart Association Guidelines for Emergency Cardiovascular Care.

During the transition period, practical exam skill sheets will continue to reflect 2000 guidelines; however instructions to examiners will be modified so that candidates correctly performing to 2005 guidelines are not penalized.

This transition plan is predicated on assumption that the American Heart Association releases educational materials supporting the new guidelines as scheduled and may be modified if the AHA changes the scheduled release time for educational materials.

Not to be condescending, but basic tests are administered daily to several thousand of candidates daily. This test is pretty routinely administered and actually has became pretty routine in administration.

As well, there is not enough questions over BLS, CPR/AED to be the sole cause of failure of written examination in regards of the test.

I do understand your frustration, and some of it appears to be warranted at the local region. Yes, NREMT is responsible but at the basic level (again this exam is administered several times a day) it is not the same criteria to the advance level. This would be like AHA attempting to monitor all their CPR tests and skill sheets, which they did at one time, and found out it is totally overwhelming and impossible.

Yes, the price may seem costly.. yet again, even plumbers and electrician license fee are several hundred dollars. I pay several hundred dollars every year for re-cert test fee and yes they costs, but unfortunately part of the business.

Again, good luck on your retest.. you might even want to consider to test at another site or state....

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
Actually, state EMS representatives and as well educational institutions that are associated with NREMT was informed of the date, what material, would be administered

Education institution??? Our classes were in the local vocational technical center.. and not affiliated with it at all. We just used their one classroom. I'm assuming it was state affiliated since we paid our class fees to WV RESA Public Service Training.... and THEIR coordinator was our proctor.

I too am not a big NREMT, but way too many times, people give NREMT too much power. It is only a testing company, and in which they did give notice on what portion, date and skills would be changing. This came as well with the computer base testing.

Looking through my emails, the first notice that there will be a change was almost over a year ago, to be aware and look for the official date. The reason was to be sure all candidates and students would have ample opportunity to be able to learn new material. I was informed about spring that the candidates could take either the old or new until Jan. 2007, then would be tested over new standards.

We LEARNED THE NEW MATERIAL-WERE TESTED ON THE OLD MATERIAL.

I am not sure, since it is has been a while since I was a NREMT rep, but some states keep tests at their facilities and a designee is delegated to maintain security and process applications.

This is EXACTLY what happened, I'm nearly positive. The RESA coordinator has been the proctor on all tests as long as I can remember. I think he has the tests at his office and just re-uses them over and over... all 3+ versions..... the newest being a 1999 test!

I am not sure if you investigated the NREMT web site, but this is posted within it

I've read every word on their website. I'll believe it when I see it.

As well, there is not enough questions over BLS, CPR/AED to be the sole cause of failure of written examination in regards of the test.
Nope, you're right AGAIN...it wouldn't be the SOLE cause of failure. But consider this... if one has problems on OTHER areas..those CPR/AED/BLS questions being not the ones taught COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE if it came down to 1-2 questions above/below failing.

Yes, the price may seem costly.. yet again, even plumbers and electrician license fee are several hundred dollars. I pay several hundred dollars every year for re-cert test fee and yes they costs, but unfortunately part of the business.

I couldn't possibly care less about the $$$ out of my pocket.. it's the principal of it all!

Again, good luck on your retest.. you might even want to consider to test at another site or state....

THANKS... ya just probably jinxed me! :p
I don't know YET IF I FAILED OR PASSED! (hence my "hissies" regarding taking so longggggggggggggggggggg to find out! I'm like that other dude that said "I WANNA KNOW YESTERDAY!" LOL

Again... it's the principal of the matter. YES I HOPE TO GOD I PASSED... but if I did or didn't it's all of the things I have mentioned that are just not right and for me consitute a problem with the entire process.... not just for me but for EVERYONE IN MY CLASS!

As for IF I have to re-test (which I wouldn't doubt AT ALL) It will be somewhere else.... the closest CBT site is 2 hours away--- at the VERY SITE WHERE THE ABOVE MENTIONED PROCTOR's OFFICE IS and with MY luck it's PROBABLY AT HIS :censored: desk!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may very well go to Virginia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This is part of the problem of EMS. Most of the time no one knows who is the Capt. of the ship or whom, what is going on. Yes, you would think with the number of courses being taught they would have it down to a fine art.

From what you described your RESA coordinator dropped the ball. Probably, grabbed a boxed up set of tests in a hurry and proceeded as usual. I do doubt that NREMT was aware or will ever be notified, unless one of your classmates makes a phone call or a letter.

This type of event(s) leaves a sour taste in applicants mouth forever; I wish I could say it was only isolated to EMS. When I took my RN (before computer testing) someone broke into a office in another state and stole a copy... thus tests secrecy had been broken, they considered to make us take the whole test over again... this would be nationwide. It took them over three months to finally grade and make a final decision. So I do understand your dilemma.

R/r 911

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
NREMT selects the Proctors for their test sites. And pays them to be there. So the thing goes back to NREMT. Here our OEMS pays me to teach classes and if I do not follow there rules I will not teach anymore. Same with the Test sites. If you screw it up the OEMS will not let you proctor anymore.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Sorry, that is erroneous for basic level. This might be somehow in your area, but not in all states. Our proctors are all volunteers. In fact for the basic they don't even require field experience. I have seen EMT's that just passed the course 2 months prior and be a proctor.... again the NREMT does not require or perform Basic practicals, rather they allow schools and states to perform them. Advance level exams is a whole different situation.

R/r 911

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Sorry, that is erroneous for basic level. This might be somehow in your area, but not in all states. Our proctors are all volunteers. In fact for the basic they don't even require field experience. I have seen EMT's that just passed the course 2 months prior and be a proctor.... again the NREMT does not require or perform Basic practicals, rather they allow schools and states to perform them. Advance level exams is a whole different situation.

R/r 911

What ever argue with yourself. I know what has and is happening here. I know what I have been paid for. And I have helped with the NREMT sites.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You might have been paid, but it was not from NREMT, and if so the next committee meeting will have something new on the agenda. Let's be correct when stating something, there are many people whom take information from this site as gospel. Please read their testing information policy.( http://www.nremt.org/about/about_exams.asp#Practical Examination)

The state or even the school might using the NREMT Basic Skills sheet and performing the skills station, but the NREMT organization itself does not actually perform the skills test. That is why many states no longer even perform practical skill station for the Basic EMT level, as they are tested within the basic program itself.

NREMT does not even have an "examiner" criteria for basic levels, again only for the advanced levels.

Sorry, not trying to argue, but many assume that NREMT actually performs the practical portion of the Basic EMT, which is not true. Rather, they accept the institutions or the states recommendation. Most of the confusion occurs because when they take the test, the proctors will usually use the NREMT check list, and the candidates will take the written at the same day.

When a candidate calls in regard to skills station (basic) to the NREMT, they will be told to contact the testing center (state or regional).

R/r 911

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
I PASSED!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!:eek:
I PASSED!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!:excl:
I PASSED!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!B)
I PASSED!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
I PASSED!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!:lol:
I PASSED!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!:D

TAKE THAT RESA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p
(And.. they're STILL gettin' a letter!)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
AWSOME!!!! congrats girl, let me be the first to toast!:beerchug: and now a chaser!:beerchug: WEEEEEEE!!!!!!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Congrats....

FireStrut

Forum Crew Member
OUTSTANDING!! Congrats.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
You rock! Good for you! :beerchug:

WannaBEMT

Forum Crew Member
Good job! Congratulations!

Jenn

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Congratulations on the payoff for your hard work and all that time dedicated to learning your new craft. Well Done!!

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
I PASSED!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Congrats. Good job. Now the real learning begins.

slawson

Forum Crew Member

congrats! thats wonderful.. when did you take your test again? i took mine dec 18 and am still waiting for the results.

let the learning begin!

slawson

Forum Crew Member
congrats! thats wonderful.. when did you take your test again? i took mine dec 18 and am still waiting for the results.

let the learning begin!

FINALLY SOME PROGRESS!!!

My exam has FINALLY been "sent" to scoring and "should" be graded within "72" hours. Now I'm actually nervous if I passed or not.

Oh well. We shall see.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Good luck!!:)

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
FINALLY SOME PROGRESS!!!

My exam has FINALLY been "sent" to scoring and "should" be graded within "72" hours. Now I'm actually nervous if I passed or not.

Oh well. We shall see.

Well I can tell ya... the wait is horrible. If there's anything MORE horrible, it's the time/wait between "sent to scoring" and the final results! I swear I could hardly function at all. Fortunately it only took about 3 hours before my results were up. WHAT A RELIEF!

Best wishes to you.... I sure know how ya feel and it ain't fun! I've got my fingers and toes crossed for ya!:)