waiting on National Registry results! argggg!

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
LET'S TRAIN THESE PEOPLE ON WHAT THEY WILL ACTUALLY BE TESTED ON!?!?!?!? OR TEST THEM ON WHAT THEY WERE TRAINED ON!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that information is certainly available. :) I downloaded the DOT EMT curriculum and studied it along with my class materials. The DOT curriculum actually helped me answer some of the more 'obscure' questions on the NR test and I passed it with flying colours.

I never got my results online. Someone in the office entered my birthdate wrong. I got my results in the mail and after I called the NR folks and inquired about it, they found the typo and corrected it. I ended up waiting around 6 weeks for my results to show up by mail.

So it might be a simple typo. The holiday certainly delayed things a bit. Feel free to give them a call and ask them to verify the demographic information that they have for you. Who knows, maybe they fat fingered your street address AND your birthdate! ;-)

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
Well, that information is certainly available. :) I downloaded the DOT EMT curriculum and studied it along with my class materials. The DOT curriculum actually helped me answer some of the more 'obscure' questions on the NR test and I passed it with flying colours.

I never got my results online. Someone in the office entered my birthdate wrong. I got my results in the mail and after I called the NR folks and inquired about it, they found the typo and corrected it. I ended up waiting around 6 weeks for my results to show up by mail.

So it might be a simple typo. The holiday certainly delayed things a bit. Feel free to give them a call and ask them to verify the demographic information that they have for you. Who knows, maybe they fat fingered your street address AND your birthdate! ;-)

First of all thanks to you and JEEPMEDIC for the encouraging words! I hope you're right. But... not at all meaning to sound pesimisstic , but as far as I know, no one in the class has gotten results yet, and while I'd LOVE it if everyone in the class passed, I'm going on the odds and kinda doubt it.

As for phoning them, I did on Dec. 23 only to be told that they had NOTHING on me. So, after phoning the STATE OEMS, I discovered that the PROCTOR had "sat on the tests" and had just sent them in the week before :angry: which would be roughly the 15th. So much for why the NREMT office had "nothing" on me.

I'm just gonna quit worryin' about it and whatever happens, happens. I'm just having a real hard time justifying/accepting the lackadaisical
attitudes of all these people (especially the proctor) after we ALL put everything we had into it.

Oh well.... enough... ONWARDS and UPWARDS...

THANK YOU SO much for your kind words! I'll let ya all know the results, either way when I get them. :sad:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Just hang in there it will all work out!:)

slawson

Forum Crew Member
the good the bad and all of the ugly

When I took my NREMT-P test the one's who failed got there results back faster than the one's who passed. So maybe the long wait will be worth it. :)

wish that was the case as well.. my first test = failed and graded in 5 working days. the entire class was graded the same day. this time, I tested with a much larger group and don't know any of thier names so I can't call them and ask them about their status or check status online. so its STILL the waiting game.

interesting the above test was taken on Dec 5 and still no results. We took ours Dec 4 and thats when it was graded in 5 working days. One day makes 3 weeks difference.

THE GOOD NEWS!!!!

any new applicant will have thier results within 24-48 hours AND (not for sure) will even have an initial immediate result when the computer based testing is done. If this is not the case it IS possible. I have tested with pearson vue (agency handling computer based testing) and when those tests were taken, the result was an immediate one.

THE BAD NEWS.....
we would have gotton faster results if we waited till JAN 1 to take the computer based testing. Although it would have cost a few bucks more, it would be worth it. This waiting game is crap. They advised me they recieved 2000 written tests in one day. With grading occuring only a few hours a day (which i was also advised) that could mean some long waits for all of us.

BS if you ask me! <_<

slawson

Forum Crew Member
Just out of curiosity.. what state do ya live in? I agree about the assumption that the book tests were gonna be different than the NREMT test... but here's a thought... LET'S TRAIN THESE PEOPLE ON WHAT THEY WILL ACTUALLY BE TESTED ON!?!?!?!? OR TEST THEM ON WHAT THEY WERE TRAINED ON!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't require rocket science does it???? DUH~!
Yes... that IS an expensive question.... but I'm sorry but I have seriously wondered about the "TIMING" of all this. I mean come on....Test is on Dec 5...it's now Jan. 5 and nothing. It's the 21st century for God's sakes! Here's an idea... let's NOT grade tests until after the first of the year when the fee increases by FIFTY bucks....or, at least do it so late in December that in the event you fail, you can't locate another test site until the fee goes up. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ This is such a crock! I fully agree with your feeling on them only grading tests for an hour and a half a day. It again is a crock.

I just don't understand. They're supposed to be trying to turn out the best trained, best qualified EMTs, but the way they are going about things just doesn't add up. I mean honestly.. I invested nearly 5 months of my life in this EMT-B class.... and I mean INVESTED.. That's all I did in my waking hours. I literally stopped nearly everything so that I could do this. Do it, I did.... I know what I was taught and know it thoroughly. Then to be given a test that has not jack **** to do with the protocols we were taught... TYPOS (or so they said) on the NREMT TEST.... I feel like I wasted all those months of my life!....... MY MONEY, ...(over $200.00 total...no one paid my fees... no one)...Do they even care? I think not. I did notice that online it said that no application, or scoring would take place until the appropriate fee had been received... well guess what... MY CHECK CLEARED that I wrote them on test night... THEY HAVE MY MONEY,,, and as of today I have NOTHING. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :censored:

Please forgive my ranting... I am so frustrated and upset. I am very glad to have this forum to "vent" on.. but I will definitely try to control myself in the future...Again.. I apologize. It's just very hard... I worked my 52 year old BUTT off learning this INSIDE AND OUT and unless by some miracle I passed , I feel like it was all for nothing. Long story short... I'll believe it when I see it. :sad:

I live in KY (pretty much the best state in the world...)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You gave up a whole 5 months/probably twice a week.. that's it ? And you are upset because it took them a whole week to grade the test over holidays? I am surprised they even graded it until mid January. Obviously, you have never taken any board or professional tests. Some professions still grade by hand, so at least you are lucky that way.

I much rather have them feed my test into the scan tron nice and easy, than to rush and jam and get a false reading. Five to six days is one of the fastest turn around for any certification testing organizations. Now, even with computer base testing one will still have to wait after finding out that they passed to get the letter and official confirmation, as well one usually has to obtain local and state credentials.

Shame on your school for teaching local protocols instead of the National Curriculum which the NREMT tests over. So now, you are well trained to work where you live... but, how about the rest of the nation ? The NREMT tests over the National curriculum hence.. national registry. There is no way to test over each local regional or state protocols.. nor should they ever!
That is the state and regional area problem, don't blame the NREMT organization.

Did you not read the brochure, application and forms supplied by the NREMT when you took your test about the time allotment, or did you do as most and just sign the paper without any thought?.... Lesson, be sure to read the fine print on any test.

I suggest I would spend my time on studying and less fretting on grade time.

slawson

Forum Crew Member
Clarification...

You gave up a whole 5 months/probably twice a week.. that's it ? And you are upset because it took them a whole week to grade the test over holidays? I am surprised they even graded it until mid January. Obviously, you have never taken any board or professional tests. Some professions still grade by hand, so at least you are lucky that way.

I much rather have them feed my test into the scan tron nice and easy, than to rush and jam and get a false reading. Five to six days is one of the fastest turn around for any certification testing organizations. Now, even with computer base testing one will still have to wait after finding out that they passed to get the letter and official confirmation, as well one usually has to obtain local and state credentials.

Shame on your school for teaching local protocols instead of the National Curriculum which the NREMT tests over. So now, you are well trained to work where you live... but, how about the rest of the nation ? The NREMT tests over the National curriculum hence.. national registry. There is no way to test over each local regional or state protocols.. nor should they ever!
That is the state and regional area problem, don't blame the NREMT organization.

Did you not read the brochure, application and forms supplied by the NREMT when you took your test about the time allotment, or did you do as most and just sign the paper without any thought?.... Lesson, be sure to read the fine print on any test.

maybe i was misunderstood in my last post. I was very impressed that it took only 5 working days to grad the first test. from dec 4 to dec 11. That was impressive and admireable. What I don't understand is that they stated they only grade exams a few hours a day. What are they doing the rest of the day in the grading/certification dept? Given the holiday shutdowns and other hurdles, I fully understand that it would take longer. And since the 2nd test was taken (dec 18) it has only been about 3 weeks. However, I just think the process is slow. I have some microsoft certifications. They are very very strict on thier protocols and tests. You have to recieve the official confirmation just as you do with NREMT but they tell you initially at the VUE testing centers immediatly if you passed the test. This is effortless to do, would not compromise test integrity if administered as such with NREMT, and would boost "customer" (everyone here) satisfaction.

Although I understand that even scantrons take time, it just seem unacceptable with the laxed attitude of the testing process.

For me, this is my first (probably of many) medical exam - so I don't know what the industry standard of acceptance is. To me however it just seems with the level of technology availible this process could be greatly improved.

Studying instead of waiting is a great idea, but I personally have much to gain with the outcome of positive results - full class/test/book re-imbursement ($700 bucks) as well as a pay raise in my current job, not to mention my part time job as an EMT. I want to know if I passed and want to know yesterday. As others, I guess im part of the "information age" where you don't want to wait on information. You want it 10 minutes ago.

The protocols that were taught in the class were indeed national protocols, however the type of questions given on the NREMT were much different that was prepared for.

Am I near the same feelings as others waiting or other EMTs when I say this or am I way out in left field?

By the way excuse the spelling. Im sleepy and can't spell. Bad kombuenayshun.

Thanks. This is a great forum.

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
I think this was "directed" at ME....

You gave up a whole 5 months/probably twice a week.. that's it ?

WHOAAAAAAAAAAA! You misunderstood! I did NOT mean that! What I meant was that I spent nearly EVERY waking hour STUDYING! The class time was nothing more than the teacher reading aloud the chapter/chapters we were assigned. I read that book... OVER AND OVER.... I did the ONLINE assignments OVER AND OVER, I did the correlating workbook assignments... I did flash cards OVER and OVER. When I had to go somewhere, the BOOK WENT WITH ME. I studied in the car, at my 86 yr old mother's house when I went to visit. I took the book with me when I was volunteering as an EMS assisstant and I READ/studied between calls. My family was SICK of me doing nothing BUT STUDYING. I spent 5 months studying...THAT'S what I meant! When I decided to do this, I meant to do it to the best of my ability.

And you are upset because it took them a whole week to grade the test over holidays?
NO. What I am upset about is the fact that 1. the proctor carried our tests around for at least 2 weeks before even sending them to the NREMT. 2.What I am upset about is that the proctor came to the test site about 8 minutes before the test began.... he threw papers at us and had us sign them stating the test will begin promptly at 5:45. 3. The proctor waited until 3/4 thru the test to tell us that the test was based on OLD AHA/CPR protocols. 4. That I was told that there was a TYPO on the NREMT exam that had been there for years.

And for clarification....they have not yet graded the test. Holiday or not.
Also...Why do some tests get graded within such a short time, and others weeks and still nothing.

Now, even with computer base testing one will still have to wait after finding out that they passed to get the letter and official confirmation, as well one usually has to obtain local and state credentials.
At this point in time... I just want to know if I passed or not. I understand waiting for official confirmation... and obtaining local and state credentials.

Shame on your school for teaching local protocols instead of the National Curriculum which the NREMT tests over. So now, you are well trained to work where you live... but, how about the rest of the nation ? The NREMT tests over the National curriculum hence.. national registry,
We used the AAOS EMT-B text book. It DID teach national curriculum. HOWEVER. We were taught the NEW 2005 AHA/CPR protocols...but every single question (and there were MANY) that had anything to do with cardiac care &/or CPR on this test was all based on previous AHA/CPR protocols which we had NOT be taught. Those questions could made a big difference on test results! And while not necessarily exactly related, consider this. We were taught that when a cardiac patient has a systolic pressure of less than 100... we were NOT even to consider giving nitro. PLAIN and SIMPLE-CUT AND DRIED... 100! There was a question on the test asking just this.. but 100 was NOT EVEN A CHOICE! I find this a prime example of what I'm referring to regarding the test not matching what we were taught. I find this incredulous.

You can't say nor have NO IDEA how much time I spent studying. As for fretting on grade time... I'm sorry, but I think this is ridiculous. Simply MY opinion.

Obviously, you have never taken any board or professional tests..
Well you are exactly right. WOW! I am 52 years old and yes this is my first. The question is what does THAT have to do with anything? I see all your credentials (R.N.,CCRN,CEN,CCEMT/P,NREMT/P).. quite impressive! But, everyone had to start somewhere, and this is where I'm starting.

And as for "Shame on your school ", I do agree with that, but not for not having taught us national standards, (they did) but for lots of other things that are too numerous to mention and that I had no control over.

Now having said all that, while I don't necessarily agree with your views in your post regarding MY post, I very much appreciate your input. You are obviously very knowledgable and experienced. People like you are why I decided to join this forum. Thanks very much!:)

jeepmedic

Forum Captain

You harp on we as EMS getting up with the times, but here you have someone that was taught the up to date AHA guidelines for CPR and it was not even on the "National" Registry Test. So who needs to catch up? These guidelines have been out for over a year now and as much money as WE pay out to NREMT they should have made these test out long before now. Plus NREMT knew befor we did that these guidelines were coming out.

Now for grading the test. No this person should not be upset at NREMT because the test was not sent in on time. But, yes they have a right to be upset that it has taken so long to grade them. If they do not want to grade test over the Holidays then do not give the test. That is simple. And in this day of "Education" one would think that NREMT could have a better way to grade test.

As far as taking other Certification for the state I have other Professional certifications from the Commonwelth of Virginia that were graded and results were sent with Certificate in less that a week. Do you have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for your Drivers Lic?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Sorry for misunderstanding, there has been so many inter posts it is hard to distinguish on which is which.

The NREMT wrote a statement paper on which AHA they would use. Until recently candidates had either option of the old standards or use of new standards. If they did not allow that, you might want to check their web site to determine if the testing center violated the statement. I thought it was up to Jan.' 07 then everyone would be tested over new standards.

I no longer participate at the basic testing or teaching, so I don't keep tabs as close on this. I know many are confused as well with the new ACLS standards being tested, similar to the BLS confusion. This will as well be interesting since new Paramedic texts are just now being distributed and new ACLS texts just published within the past 6 months.

Unfortunately, this occurs with any changes. Confusion will reoccur in about 2 more years when the new curriculum comes out as well. Instructors need to be sure to keep in touch with the NREMT or testing agency on which specific areas will be tested over.

Good luck on your tests and career,

R/r 911

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
The NREMT wrote a statement paper on which AHA they would use. Until recently candidates had either option of the old standards or use of new standards. If they did not allow that, you might want to check their web site to determine if the testing center violated the statement. I thought it was up to Jan.' 07 then everyone would be tested over new standards.

We weren't given any option of any kind. Eight minutes prior to the test we were handed paper work and a test question booklet and an answer sheet. We were told to fill out the paper work and NOT to touch the booklet until instructed to do so.

I knew :censored: well about 5 weeks into the class that the NREMT test was no way gonna be on what we were taught. And, I was right. I even asked the instructor a month or more ahead of time if the test was gonna "match" our studies....with a reply of "WHO KNOWS"? In fact.... I was told about 3 days after the test that the test we were given was a 1999 TEST! WHAT is UP with THAT? I just don't get it.... you'd think that these "entities" would be a little more effecient.

Yes, I'm irritated having to wait so long for results, but my big gripe is this...... If the new standards/protocols were out in time (THEY WERE BY MONTHS AND MONTHS) why wasn't the NREMT EXAM relfective of such? I wonder.... COULDN'T / SHOULDN'T the NREMT and the standards/text books/protocols be all done in conjunction, SO that this doesn't happen? It's kinda like studying APPLES and being tested on ORANGES!

I give up! I'm waiting... and at least as far as this topic goes, from here on silently. It just keeps me too "riled up" and it's all for naught. They're gonna do what they're gonna do and no one can do jack crap about it. It's red tape and $$$$$$$$ pure and simple..... but they're messing with people's LIVES here! Students lives as well and PATIENT'S LIVES, albeit in different ways. If I'm wrong to care about that then so be it.

SO....thanks very much again. I appreciate all the views/input.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Don't sweet the written test. You can take it again and you know what is on it this time so you know what to study.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
WVFirefightersmom,

A couple of things, it is not the NREMT fault. It was your instructor's fault. I as well as every instructor and training institution was informed about the changes and the specific date and as well as the options or non-options.

I am questioning though, you were not given paperwork form NREMT in regards to enrollment application and required signature to accompany payment ?

As well, technically if this was a basic tests it was your state, local, or school that technically failed you, not the NREMT, because NREMT does not perform practical skills test at the basic level! They allow states and schools to test and they accept those institution results. Therefore, if it was inappropriate testing it was performed locally, not nationally.

NREMT only sanctions advanced levels skill stations.

Sorry for your aggravation, but if fellow students failed as well, I would contact you training center and possibly require clarification. Also NREMT does not "send" anyone technically from them on basic exams. It might a representative from your region on behalf on the NREMT.

R/r 911

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
I have to agree with Rid..it's not a National Registry issue.. it's an Instructor issue... I warned my students in advance about the wording of NR questions, and the fact that the new CPR changes would not be reflected in the NR test until January..... they came back and told me that the NR test was easier than the tests that they had in their class. The average score of my students? 84%

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
WVFirefightersmom,

A couple of things, it is not the NREMT fault. It was your instructor's fault. I as well as every instructor and training institution was informed about the changes and the specific date and as well as the options or non-options.
Yep, I totally agree on this point, IF they were informed. Just because you and others were doesn't mean tho that OUR instructor was. This could again be the fault of the state rep.

I am questioning though, you were not given paperwork form NREMT in regards to enrollment application and required signature to accompany payment ?
YES... I must not be typing/relaying this correctly. YES.... We WERE given paper work and they were given their 20.00 check.... all within the 8 minutes before the test started.... ON test night.

As well, technically if this was a basic tests it was your state, local, or school that technically failed you, not the NREMT, because NREMT does not perform practical skills test at the basic level! They allow states and schools to test and they accept those institution results. Therefore, if it was inappropriate testing it was performed locally, not nationally.

Yes.. it was a basic test, and yes we were tested on practicals by state reps.

Sorry for your aggravation, but if fellow students failed as well, I would contact you training center and possibly require clarification. Also NREMT does not "send" anyone technically from them on basic exams. It might a representative from your region on behalf on the NREMT.
That is exactly what I meant... it was a state rep on behalf of the NREMT.
Should he NOT have known... if everyone was informed as you say?

If he did he certainly did NOT inform any of us of any options... nothing. Here's your paper work, gimme the check, here's your test--you have 2 1/2 hours.. GO!

... wham bam thank ya mam.

I'm upset equally... 50% at the state rep for what I've already expressed and 50% at the NREMT for not making sure that the tests vs study material aren't in tandem and that the state reps that are sent of BEHALF of and therefore to REPRESENT THEM, aren't up to par, and don't relay the important information or aren't informed themselves. It's a failure on the state and national level. One isn't/shouldn't be held anymore responsible than the other.

ANd also... whether or not I pass now in the future or ever... there is an important missing logic here, in my opinion. It's called the NATIONAL registry of EMTS......they're called NATIONAL standards..... shouldn't the text books, study material, AS WELL as the test be NATIONAL???? ALL THE SAME>> NATIONWIDE????????........BASED ON THE SAME INFO/STANDARDS etc? (and I'm NOT referring to local protocols.. whole other box of worms)
It would certainly do away with a most if not all of the confusion and problems.
Oh wait.. I forgot... it'd also do away with a LOT of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
(WHOMP there it is!)

It's really very simple... I can't make it any more simple to get. The TEST DID NOT REFLECT WHAT WE WERE TAUGHT. The STATE REP TOLD US 3/4 THRU THE TEST THAT IT WAS ON OLD PROTOCOLS/STANDARDS that we WERE NOT TAUGHT. Again, apples/ oranges.

Considering the timing in the change of AHA/CPR protocols, and the early DECEMBER '06 TEST DATE.... and the HUGE amount of time in between...If the NREMT isn't responsible about which tests THEY GIVE OUT then WHO IS?

I mean ... after all OUR INSTRUCTOR TAUGHT US THE RIGHT PROTOCOLS... THE NREMT IS THE ONE WHO GAVE US A RIDICULOUSLY OUT OF DATE...and in my opinion INVALID TEST BOOKLET based on OUT OF DATE PROTOCOLS ON WHICH WE WERE NOT TAUGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care WHAT anyone says.. IN THIS CASE THE NREMT IS WRONG. IF the :censored: protocols changed then the :censored: test should have changed too. I wanna see YOU or anyone else take an entire class on one set of protocols/standards and then be tested on ones that are completely different and YEARS OLD. You'd be upset too!

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
I have to agree with Rid..it's not a National Registry issue.. it's an Instructor issue... I warned my students in advance about the wording of NR questions, and the fact that the new CPR changes would not be reflected in the NR test until January..... they came back and told me that the NR test was easier than the tests that they had in their class. The average score of my students? 84%

IF my instructor was informed. I swear I think/almost sure the problem lies with the STATE rep.

But as I said before the NREMT had PLENTY OF TIME TO REVISE THOSE TESTS TO SHOW THE NEW PROTOCOLS BEFORE THEY ACTUALLY TOOK EFFECT. I feel they just chose NOT to... again would cost $$$$$$$$$ and what the hey.... if they flunk.. they can retest after Jan. 1 and give up 50.00 a pop to do it!

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
I am not now, nor have I ever been a fan of the National Registry, however, I have to say that your Instructor should have been knowledgeable about what was or was not going to be utilized on the exam, and should have made every effort to convey that message to you.

I can fully understand your frustration, and anger regarding this situation, and I will even give in to the fact that yes, the NREMT is partially to blame. Although I encourage you to find out what goes into revising National Exams... it's truly NOT just an issue of take this question out and put this one in. From my understanding regarding the AHA CPR issues of your exam, there were only a couple of AED questions, and basically nothing else regarding CPR.

So...... if you feel that the NREMT should have been updated to what your instructor taught in class, I would have to disagree. The NREMT Exam is based upon National DOT Curriculum Standards. If you had problems with other portions of the exam (not including the CPR issue) then it's your Instructors fault. I've seen too many times "Instructors" who feel that they should teach "field EMS" vs. book EMS. Here's the problem with that... every jurisdiction, district, region, state, county and town has different protocols, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to devise a national exam that meets all of the different stuff out there.. that is why we have a Standard Curriculum to teach Didactic, Psychomotor and Affective Learning skills from. All Instructors are supposed to be teaching directly from texts that follow these guidelines... the idea is follow the book, and don't give "field advice" (Rid, please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Oh, and by the way... I agree.. the NREMT DOES like their $$$, but opposed to popular opinion, they are NOT out to flunk students, just to turn a quarter... don't you think someone would have caught on by now?

Just my 2 cents...
Jo

FireStrut

Forum Crew Member
When I took my NR test I just kept the ABC in mind and give the patient high flow O2 with a non rebreather and I past it. Took me two weeks to find out the results, I have more gray hairs because of the waiting period. But it was worth it, words can not say how I felt when I found out that I had passed. Now the real learning begins.

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
I am not now, nor have I ever been a fan of the National Registry, however, I have to say that your Instructor should have been knowledgeable about what was or was not going to be utilized on the exam, and should have made every effort to convey that message to you.

We asked... she told us that the STATE rep. was her source of information and he had given her none.. even when she asked.

I can fully understand your frustration, and anger regarding this situation, and I will even give in to the fact that yes, the NREMT is partially to blame. Although I encourage you to find out what goes into revising National Exams... it's truly NOT just an issue of take this question out and put this one in. From my understanding regarding the AHA CPR issues of your exam, there were only a couple of AED questions, and basically nothing else regarding CPR

I know it's not easy to revise. But between the announcement of the new protocols and the effective date, left PLENTY Of time... months and months and months. AND there were FAR MORE THAN A COUPLE questions regarding CPR/AED/cardiac on our tests... far more! Your understanding of the amount of questions on this topic on the tests must have been from a different test. IN FACT.... the proctor told us before the test that we all would not have the same test. We didn't. After the class we all talked and figured after comparing our memory on test questions that we recalled, that there were at least 3 tests given to our 17 students that night.

So...... if you feel that the NREMT should have been updated to what your instructor taught in class, I would have to disagree. The NREMT Exam is based upon National DOT Curriculum Standards. If you had problems with other portions of the exam (not including the CPR issue) then it's your Instructors fault. I've seen too many times "Instructors" who feel that they should teach "field EMS" vs. book EMS. Here's the problem with that... every jurisdiction, district, region, state, county and town has different protocols, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to devise a national exam that meets all of the different stuff out there.. that is why we have a Standard Curriculum to teach Didactic, Psychomotor and Affective Learning skills from. All Instructors are supposed to be teaching directly from texts that follow these guidelines... the idea is follow the book, and don't give "field advice" (Rid, please correct me if I'm wrong here).

We WERE taught by the BOOK. We were told that we had to learn the BOOK and nothing but the BOOK. She did not EVER teach "FIELD ADVICE" NOR "FIELD PRACTICES"! We were told we would learn that later with experience. We were TAUGHT THE BOOK. I don't think the test should reflect all the protocols of every jusidiction, district... etc. It SHOULD however reflect the protocols re: CPR/AED/AHA new standards. THERE WAS TIME.

Oh, and by the way... I agree.. the NREMT DOES like their $$$, but opposed to popular opinion, they are NOT out to flunk students, just to turn a quarter... don't you think someone would have caught on by now?

I never said they were "OUT TO FLUNK STUDENTS"... what I said was, in my opinion.. they don't give a crap if they do flunk! And.. THEY DON'T! And it's just my opinion that if, in the process, they make an extra 50 bucks off each person that does.. well YOO HA!

So.. folks, here's the deal. I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. I was just voicing my opinions, experiences and feelings. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I did.