Volunteering before finding a job

acm1134

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys !
I'm new to this site, and so far its been really helpful !
I am currently a student at my local college and my major is EMS. I guess you could consider me a newbie :blush: My question is about volunteer hours. Once I have finished EMT school and have passed my board exam, I was wondering if employers would want to hire me without many volunteer hours. I am still looking for a place where I can "volunteer" as a "student" so I can at least have some street experience before I try to get a job. My location is Pensacola Fl if that helps at all. I guess what my main concern is being able to find a place to volunteer at so I will have at least a little bit of experience.

Also, how long do you suggest that I volunteer for before I start the second part of my AAS? which would be Paramedic school.

Thanks so much for the help !

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Volunteering is a good way to gain experience, but I don't know of any employers or medic schools that require it.

BigPoppa

Forum Crew Member
I believe Escambia County EMS (where you live) has an EMS Auxiliary for just such a purpose. Check them out.

Vao

Forum Probie
Beware! Please be aware of WHO you're volunteering for. While the whole concept of 'volunteering' is great at heart, it can actually hurt you when looking for a paid position. I know from my personal experience, as well as my buddies, me getting out of emt school with no experience whatsoever was actually PREFERRABLE over the terrible volly teams they used to run with. Do ya research, if youre gonna volly, make sure it's with a reputable town/org., and not a bunch of lazy flippin hobbyists.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
Beware! Please be aware of WHO you're volunteering for. While the whole concept of 'volunteering' is great at heart, it can actually hurt you when looking for a paid position. I know from my personal experience, as well as my buddies, me getting out of emt school with no experience whatsoever was actually PREFERRABLE over the terrible volly teams they used to run with. Do ya research, if youre gonna volly, make sure it's with a reputable town/org., and not a bunch of lazy flippin hobbyists.

I have recently discovered that this is sadly quite true. Ask me how I know. :p