Volunteer

Tjfemt911

Forum Probie
I went in today to have my mantoux to be cleared for volunteering in the ER dept at a local hospital (fairview). However, I'm at the triage desk for now. Will that even look good on a resume? Would I learn anything new ems wise? or keep my skills up?

I'm also going to start volunteering at United in the twin cities in the ER but I don't think volunteering in the ER is going to get me much patient interaction or be able to use my EMT skills.

What are your guys thoughts? Thanks so much!^_^

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I went in today to have my mantoux to be cleared for volunteering in the ER dept at a local hospital (fairview). However, I'm at the triage desk for now. Will that even look good on a resume? Would I learn anything new ems wise? or keep my skills up?

I'm also going to start volunteering at United in the twin cities in the ER but I don't think volunteering in the ER is going to get me much patient interaction or be able to use my EMT skills.

What are your guys thoughts? Thanks so much!^_^

you'll get alot of vitals and taking brief histories at the triage desk

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Even though I'm not really using my skills? -_-

the skills you use behind the triage desk, make up a large portion of the skills you will use as an EMTB in the field. as you said earlier, you are at the triage desk for now. It will open up doors for you and allow you to meet people at the ER.It should definitely put your name near the top of the hiring list when a emt tech job on the floor becomes available

atropine

Forum Captain
Yes, when you are interviewing for your future career, some employers may ask you, What have you done to give back, or name something that you have done such as a selfless act, or something like that and you can answer that you have volunteered in the past.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tjfemt911

Tjfemt911

Forum Probie
the skills you use behind the triage desk, make up a large portion of the skills you will use as an EMTB in the field. as you said earlier, you are at the triage desk for now. It will open up doors for you and allow you to meet people at the ER.It should definitely put your name near the top of the hiring list when a emt tech job on the floor becomes available

That's encouraging! As a volunteer will I be able to know about internal jobs and when they are hiring etc..? :p

EMS25

Forum Crew Member
When you volunteer you get experience and it looks really good on a resume.
I volunteer for the Medical Reserve Corps. We have a lot of events. Last week we had a H1N1 vaccination clinic. Once a year we have a 48 hours MCI trainings event.
With volunteering you get to know a lot of people and it is a great place for networking. It got me my first job with an ambulance company.