OCTraumaQueen

Forum Crew Member
Starting my EMT refresher course tomorrow,
I'm wondering if there is anywhere I can volunteer as
an EMT-B?

Thank You!

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Are you willing and pysically able to do fire if so I know Riverside Co is expecting to start taking reserve applications in July not sure yet of how they utilize their reserve people or how much they would be treating patients. San Bernardino county seems to always be looking for paid call people. OCFA also if I remember correctly runs a reserve program and of course you have a hand full of departments that utilize AO's which would limit your exposure to the fire line if that concearns you.

You could also give the forums over at firehouse.com a try they have a state specific forum for Cali,even if your not interested in fire you could probably find some useful information.

ShotMedic

Forum Crew Member
I know the local hospitals are always looking for volunteers. With that said you wont technically be an "EMT" but i'm sure once you get to know people you will be a vital member in the ER.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Elfin Forrest near San Marcos in SD County has a volunteer fire department.

OP
OP
OCTraumaQueen

OCTraumaQueen

Forum Crew Member
I would LOVE to volunteer at any of the mentioned places! Thanks for the responses!
Do you know which search rescue teams? Do they take anybody?

What would I need to work at a firehouse?

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I would LOVE to volunteer at any of the mentioned places! Thanks for the responses!

[What would I need to work at a firehouse?

What do you mean by need to work at a firehouse? Areyou wondering about gear or qualifications?

MusicMedic

Forum Captain

What would I need to work at a firehouse?

I know for OCFA you have to live within 10 min of one of the stations that participates in the volunteer program

there are two that you can live within 45 min of the station.. (generally wildland crew stations)

http://ocfa.org/Menu/Departments/HumanResources/RFFStations.aspx

Then you have to show up to their drill nights for 2 weeks:
http://ocfa.org/_uploads/pdf/RFF Drill Nights.pdf

then you apply and they send you to the Academy (part time academy)

I was going to do it, but the station that is closest to me cancelled their reserve program.. it sucks!

OP
OP
OCTraumaQueen

OCTraumaQueen

Forum Crew Member
Thanks! =)

OP
OP
OCTraumaQueen

OCTraumaQueen

Forum Crew Member
Will do!! Thank you very much!!