Volunteer SAR

jasonkn88

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,

So I am new to this forum, but I did a pretty extensive search and didn't find the information I was looking for. Since I'm new I'll do a little introduction as well.

My name is Jason and I live in Orange County and have currently signed up for an EMT course this fall. My goal is to work a year as an EMT and then go to paramedic school. After that, I may just stay as a paramedic or try to get a job as a firefighter, but that is too far ahead to worry about now.

My question is who volunteers on a Search and Rescue team in this forum? I want to join a SAR team once I get certified, and I was wondering if there are any other EMTs who work for a private ambulance company and joined a SAR team as well. I want to join one because I've always wanted to do it, and it as a great job experience to put on a resume. Is there any advice you would give? Thanks for your help and I'm looking forward to the EMT course!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Get in shape, get a good pair of boots and contact local SAR to see what their requirements are.

Sent from my telefono

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Most SAR teams will have meetings either biweekly or monthly. The best way to get involved is to go to these meetings and talk to team members. Show up for meetings, and training sessions that aren't private, listen, don't talk and learn. I'm working on getting on with one here, it takes a while before you get selected to actually be on the team. Then you'll have a probationary period. Once your through that you'll be a team member.

I'm trying to get the ball rolling but with medic school and working nearly full time I don't know if it will happen this year.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
orange county sheriff runs the SAR teams in OC, google them. they are a well respected team (actually its three teams). you do not need to be an EMT. sorry for the syntax i am really tired.

OP
OP
J

jasonkn88

Forum Ride Along
orange county sheriff runs the SAR teams in OC, google them. they are a well respected team (actually its three teams). you do not need to be an EMT. sorry for the syntax i am really tired.

Do you have to be sworn in as a reserve sheriff in order to join their team?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure about orange county but very very few SAR teams are paid. Here in CO although SAR is legally the county sheriffs office responsibility the teams are usually quite separate and just operate under an agreement or.contract with the SO. They are not reserve deputies. Again this may be different in orange county and other areas. Out here in Larimer County there is a small group of folks who are deputies, wildland firefighters, and SAR. I believe they're employed as reserves by the sheriff.

Sent from my telefono

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
I am sorry, if you read my last reply it was uncalled for and unprofessional. no you do not need to be sworn for orange county sheriffs SAR. try google searching and you may get to the departments website, which will have all the information you need.

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
I volunteer for a rescue squad that has EMT-I level ambulances with paid and volunteer staff AND a very active SAR team. We are lucky in that the ambulance work pays for our SAR work. This year I took a FUNSAR course and passed my SARTECH II written and practical exam. You can check out NASAR for more information on that. They are a private certification agency much like NREMT so they are not without their problems but that is what we have to work with.

My advice is to make sure you are intimate with a map and compass and stay in shape because you never know when and where you are going to get called.