Volunteer Opportunities

wanttobeEMT-B

Forum Ride Along
Quick question for those who work with EMTs that are volunteer-based. How do most volunteers handle the shifts with a full time 9 to 5-type job? Thanks for your help!

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Being a volunteer, I can show up whenever I want. My only obligation is to work for my volunteer company a minimum of 16 hours per month. Whether this is done by riding, or by working bingo shifts in the hall (or some other non-riding function that benefits the station), or some combination of the two, is up to me.

Actually, at this time I'm still in EMT-B training, and that fulfills most of my time obligation.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I had two different situations (now I only have one):

The Fire Department Ambulance: There were required drills and meetings (usually 2 or 3 times a month) and we were on a pager system for calls. A call comes in, pager goes off - if you can make it, you go. We were required to make 20% of all fire and rescue calls for the year, and get at least 50 points for meetings, trainings, standbys, etc.

The Ambulance Corps: We staff the building with at least 1 crew 24/7. Each person is required to ride 54 hours per quarter (216 hrs per year). We all have to pick a steady shift - the same day of the week and time slot (0000-0700, 0700-1300, 1300-1900, 1900-2400) every week. We can miss one or two shifts per quarter and still make our hours, but you have to try to find someone to cover you while you are out.

Right now I'm only in the Ambulance Corps because I moved out of my fire district. I'm a couple hours behind because I've been travelling for work, so I can pick up other shifts here and there as needed to fill in.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My fire co. is similar to RescueCpt's - points based - if you don't run alot, but still show up occasionally, you can't vote at the meetings, and you don't get the free t-shirt/job shirt etc., at the banquet.

the ambuance Co - 2 shifts a month, shifts are 6-7 hours, 6p-12a, 12a-6a/7a. 2 crews on station 24x7, daytime is paid...

jon

emtbuff

Forum Captain
We run two twelve hour shifts each day. A 6a-6p and then 6p-6a. As for those that work 9-5's depending on where they work they can take day call and if they aren't allowed to leave work then they just pick up the night shift. We also tend to break up day shifts if we can only be on for half of quarter of the shift. We run 2 people during the day unless someone extra shows up and is needed then they take the extra person. The night shifts we run 3 people. If we go on transfers then we have who ever is in town and available call in for back up at night we get more then enough. Durning the day however we tend to run into snags of only having one EMT available for backup so if that happens they are left by them selves with the hope that the pager doesn't go off or we can always resort to having a firefighter come in and drive for us.

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
On my vollie FD, we all have pagers, and respond as able. Our chief has made it clear that our jobs come first. This department is BLS non-transport.

The ambulance service I am on is comprised of full time, part time, and paid/on-call (for all intensive purposes, paid/on-call is volunteer). I show up as per my schedule, and being this department is in another county, I stay at the house for the duration of my shift. I am scheduled so there is no interference with my job, but sometimes during the week, I work, then do stand-by all night with the service, and return to work. Kind of hard sometimes, but I manage.

I have gained knowledge, experience and confidence as a volunteer. I enjoy it a lot.

OP
OP
W

wanttobeEMT-B

Forum Ride Along
Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who has responded and keep them coming if you would still like to respond. I have a good job but am really looking to branch out and get involved in helping the community where I live and get some good experience. If I can fit this into the time that I have I am really looking forward to doing it. I just need to make sure that the departments in my area, for whom I might be working have flexible volunteer opportunities.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
On my VFD, members are assigned to one of three crews which rotate the weekend duty. Essentially, every third weekend, you have to be in town and respond to all calls from 6 PM Friday to 6 AM Monday.

For weeknights, we have a monthly sign-up that's posted at least one or two months in advance for the positions of Ambulance, EMT, Utility and Engineer. You're have to sign-up for a few weeknight shifts for whatever you're qualified for...if you don't, you're assigned to whatever slots are unfilled. I generally sign-up for two ambulance shifts and one EMT shift per month, though I usually end up covering a couple other full or partial shifts in the course of a month.

I should point out that we don't have any sort of "live-in" arrangement. If you have a night or weekend shift with the ambulance or utility, you take it home with you and respond from home (most everybody on the department lives in town, and only those who do take the ambulance and utility).

As far as daytime goes, we have two paid guys in the Fire Prevention Bureau who cover the ambulance during the day. There's a handful of us (myself included) who work in town all or part of the time (I'm usually in town two or three days minimum most weeks) and are able to respond.

There are minimum requirements for call attendance: 25% for probies, 15% for regular members and 8% for reserve members. This ends up working out to about 10, 6 and 3 calls per month, respectively, which is not hard to make so long as you don't ONLY respond when you're "on duty".