Volunteer EMS providers

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by VinBin@Nov 16 2005, 06:17 PM
They are worried about the low retention rate while AT THE SAME TIME advertise EMS as all fast driving with sirens and "shocking" people to life. People go looking for this, see it isnt and leave for something else.

Random comment, this video was very similar to the way EMS was portrayed in the movie "Bringing out the Dead." Anyone feel that way?

And a question for MedStudentJon, you said that docs sometimes respond to scene. First, what kind of doctors are they? Second what do they respond in and Third, do they help out or just watch?
Very good points... and I had some of the same thoughts regarding "Bringing out the Dead"

As for MD's responding to scene - in my area, thre are 2 that come to mind - My Command Doc from school and work (Personal car is a Landrover with EV plates, a fridge for his Ativan, more ALS gear than some ER's, and an E-Q2B - he is on the Editorial board for EMS Magazine). Also, the command doc from the ALS Co. that covers my home responds to "good" calls for the 2 local ALS squads he oversees (He is the medical director for several Brady Books, including their EMT book).

Both respond to calls for their squads that sound "good" have turnout and ALS gear in their cars (including RSI and REALLY advanced airway gear). They LOVE getting to "play" on the side of the road, or in someone's living room, and at least 1 was a medic before they got their MD.

Last year at EMS Today, there was discussion of a New group, the "Street Medicine Society" that was formed, partially because of some points James Page mentioned in editorials. It is a group of folks, including Ed ****inson, Bryan Bledsoe and others who started off as EMTs and Medics, and are now working to help advance the science of prehospital care. Many of the big minds in EMS are "in on this" and there is at least 1 session at EMS Today 2006 where the Street Medicine Society will be presenting as a group.

Jon

OP
OP
H

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Our EMS doc has done the same to a few MCI's, but they trust in the people they affiliate with in most instances. In the field they can only operate at a paramedic level though in our state.

As for the video, that particular one is not what I would want someone to join over, but it is a good idea- a starting point. It is just an issue of getting it to the right people.

OP
OP
H

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Nov 15 2005, 06:15 PM
offer incentives.. i.e. bribe people.
We are the only department around that does not offer a "bribe" per run. The other departments are in the exact same boat as we are though. It is not the current active members that would actually benefit from the bribe that are the ones we are concerned with, it is the people we don't have that are what we want. we have barely enough actual members to work a structure fire even with our box dispatch with other departments. 90% of our runs involve EMS in one way or another and we need a larger base of people to make sure that there is a greater chance of having personnel available. I am not sure how effective bribes would be in getting new members.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
it'll bring in sorts of dubious loyalty hfdff422.

but here's a thought for you

reciprocity

allow nurses/doc's/PA's etc to challenge the basic emt exam.

~S~

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We have field physicians designated by the State/County. When on scene they are medical control - which is great (I've worked with one in particular occasionally).

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Check with your State to see if they have any type of "Tax Break" Program for perspective members. I know the Commonwealth of Pa was kicking around the idea for quite sometime, but not sure exactly what happened with it of the late. Jon maybe you have more info on this. Also check your County & Local Goverments too.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Stevo@Nov 19 2005, 09:34 PM

That wouldn't be very hard in Pa. If you read the first aid booklet you get free from walmart, you could probably get a passing grade. Which used to be 68 or 70, I forget.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
well TTLWHKR, i've talked to a number of nurses and PA's on my turf whom would volunteer their time should they be let to challenge the exam, instead of having to sit the 130 hrs.

i'm sure some reasonable parameters could be configured .....

yanno, i was once on a 1/2 & 1/2 fire dept. full timers and call men.

the chief was totally one way , treated the call contingent badly, which eventually backfired on him politically, and he was summarily dismissed

to have the same mentality on the net turns my stomach, it's like saying my 20 yrs of servitute, all the time i've invested, the awards i've been given, the lost time and $$$ from work or my family , as well as all those whom i've treated is 2nd rate, an impediment to some higher 'holy grail' order

i've had about enough of it, and will most likely be banned agian if i comment further.... :angry:

~S~

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Nov 26 2005, 11:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Nov 26 2005, 11:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Stevo@Nov 19 2005, 09:34 PM

That wouldn't be very hard in Pa. If you read the first aid booklet you get free from walmart, you could probably get a passing grade. Which used to be 68 or 70, I forget. [/b][/quote]
Min. passing grade for the Pa EMT Written test is 70%. That score has not changed in the 23 years I have been as an Emt.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by emtff99+Nov 27 2005, 08:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (emtff99 @ Nov 27 2005, 08:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Nov 26 2005, 11:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Stevo
@Nov 19 2005, 09:34 PM

That wouldn't be very hard in Pa. If you read the first aid booklet you get free from walmart, you could probably get a passing grade. Which used to be 68 or 70, I forget.
Min. passing grade for the Pa EMT Written test is 70%. That score has not changed in the 23 years I have been as an Emt. [/b][/quote]
I was right anyway..

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Stevo@Nov 27 2005, 07:55 AM
well TTLWHKR, i've talked to a number of nurses and PA's on my turf whom would volunteer their time should they be let to challenge the exam, instead of having to sit the 130 hrs.

i'm sure some reasonable parameters could be configured .....

yanno, i was once on a 1/2 & 1/2 fire dept. full timers and call men.

the chief was totally one way , treated the call contingent badly, which eventually backfired on him politically, and he was summarily dismissed

to have the same mentality on the net turns my stomach, it's like saying my 20 yrs of servitute, all the time i've invested, the awards i've been given, the lost time and $$$ from work or my family , as well as all those whom i've treated is 2nd rate, an impediment to some higher 'holy grail' order

i've had about enough of it, and will most likely be banned agian if i comment further.... :angry:

~S~
WTF are you talking about?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Stevo@Nov 19 2005, 09:34 PM

~S~
In PA, a Nurse can take a Prehospital RN course (32 hours?), take a test, and practice as a Paramedic.

There isn't a bridge for PA's that I know of- I do know a few PA/EMT's and a few PA/EMT-P's - all are really good guys/gals who know their stuff.

Jon

OP
OP
H

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by emtff99@Nov 26 2005, 08:09 AM
Check with your State to see if they have any type of "Tax Break" Program for perspective members. I know the Commonwealth of Pa was kicking around the idea for quite sometime, but not sure exactly what happened with it of the late. Jon maybe you have more info on this. Also check your County & Local Goverments too.
Thank you, a reasonable suggestion that is on subject!

VinBin

Forum Captain
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Nov 23 2005, 10:30 PM
We have field physicians designated by the State/County.  When on scene they are medical control - which is great (I've worked with one in particular occasionally).
SORRY, Im going off subject again...

How do they(the state or county) choose the field physicians? are they all trained in emergency medicine? so since their medical control, can they do whatever they want (to help patient, of course)? and finally, what about the medical director of the EMS provider, what role do they play in this?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by VinBin@Nov 29 2005, 05:33 PM

How do they(the state or county) choose the field physicians?
They piss someone off, and they get booted out into the street to play with the ambulance drivers. :ph34r:

OP
OP
H

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by VinBin+Nov 29 2005, 05:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VinBin @ Nov 29 2005, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@Nov 23 2005, 10:30 PM
We have field physicians designated by the State/County.  When on scene they are medical control - which is great (I've worked with one in particular occasionally).
SORRY, Im going off subject again...

How do they(the state or county) choose the field physicians? are they all trained in emergency medicine? so since their medical control, can they do whatever they want (to help patient, of course)? and finally, what about the medical director of the EMS provider, what role do they play in this? [/b][/quote]
I'm not sure how they choose them, I know it involves additional licensing, but as for medical control, you are acting as a extension of the EMS doc. As an EMT-B through P you are acting as a surrogate doctor based on their requirements and protocols. EMS doc's are able to act as medical control in the field or can fulfill any of the scope of practice that they have already laid out.