Vollying while you're paid?

EMTJosh9

Forum Probie
i usually do one or two shifts a month when im bored w my volunteer company, and i always find it so weird when i see people who i work with in my paid company at the hospital when im with the vol. company , idk why .. I am NOT sayng paid ems is better then vol. im just wondering who else volunteers and is paid ?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Why do you find it weird?

I don't have anything against volunteers, we don't have any volunteer EMS here, only volunteer fire which I'm looking at getting into to get my fire certs. Personally if I had the option to work extra and had the option of volunteering or working at my paid gig Id take the OT at the paid spot for the simple fact that I do this for a living. I think volunteering is great but ultimately I do EMS to put milk in the fridge and bread in the cupboard.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I choose to volunteer my time doing something different than what I already spend too many hours a week doing. For you this may not be an issue, it might be for your coworkers. Who knows?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I used to, but the county I am now living in doesn't have volunteer EMS.

But if I lived in the county that I work in, I would probably volunteer to be on the EMS Technical Rescue Team.

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
I volunteered on a BLS truck shortly after I became an EMT. I was called for a job interview the day I signed up to volunteer.

My plan was to do both, but the last thing I wanted to do after working was to drive an hour for an unpaid shift. I decided I could just pick up a shift at work if I wanted more EMS experience.

I don't have anything against volunteering in EMS, it was just not practical for me.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I do EMS for fun. I have a regular full-time job that pays the bills, but per diem as a paramedic is extra play money for me. I would never think of giving it away.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My plan was to do both, but the last thing I wanted to do after working was to drive an hour for an unpaid shift.
not for nothing, but I wouldn't drive an hour to volunteer, unless I had a long history of being an active volunteer with said organization.

But I would never join a volunteer agency that was more than 30 minutes from my front door. I'd lose too much money in fuel and free time to make it worthwhile.