Viglink adverts into our posts?

firecoins

IFT Puppet

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
You are right. I was under the assumption this was some form of spyware and I was immune. I clearly didn't think enough about the motives.

I could make a comment but will refrain....

I would rather support the site through a donation that be subjected to ads constantly, but that's my $.02. I'm happy to wade through ads for this demo period, and would be curious the results if you wouldn't mind sharing them.

Likewise.

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I remember reading a while back they didn't want to do donations because then it gave the member a feeling of entitlement (I donated, you can't ban me) or something or another. I'm thinking maybe the possibility of doing both. Ads for those that don't want to or can't donate, and the option of donating to rid of the ads?

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Figures, your a dispatcher.

This post was brought to you by AT&T.

Could you at least explain it? From google it looks like you were making fun of a commercial or something? I wouldn't know if that's it, I don't watch TV.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
That's not it at all. I've always prided EMTLife on being a completely free forum. Whether a member with 1000 posts, or a guest/lurker, you have equal and free access to information. My concern is that memberships would potentially be counterproductive in that sense.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Is there a way to set it up as an anonymous donation? No "membership fees", no entitlement, just the ability to donate and help out with the community for those of us who would like to do so.

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Is there a way to set it up as an anonymous donation? No "membership fees", no entitlement, just the ability to donate and help out with the community for those of us who would like to do so.

That works. And what about finding out exactly what the monthly cost is, and then cutting it off at that price monthly. That way it still remains non-profit but just makes it cheaper for you to manage MM?

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
That works. And what about finding out exactly what the monthly cost is, and then cutting it off at that price monthly. That way it still remains non-profit but just makes it cheaper for you to manage MM?

I think this would be an awesome way to work, I am still new to this forum, and the one thing that I’ve seen that is common throughout the forum, is that this is more of a community than just a forum. And that’s evident by the fact that the MOD's are called "community leaders". And if the "community members" are wanting to contribute to make the community a better place, then those of us that would like to contribute, however big or small, should be able to with no expectation of entitlement or kickbacks or anything, maybe on the anonymous donation page, there is a little note stating such...
I personally wouldn’t mind donating, or even clicking a few links to help ease the financial strain in maintaining this site. I wouldn’t even mind seeing an add or two, but not a page loaded with adds.
Also I will be more than happy to deal with the testing of different ideas for the next few months to try and ease the burden.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I like the anonymous donation idea, but if necessary I would be fine putting up with ads if it means reducing your overhead.
Besides the financial cost you spend a massive amount of time and sanity in keeping this place running and we all appreciate that. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that you and the rest of the Mods do a great job keeping this place running and you have our thanks for that.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
What about having a separate section of the forum that is just for paid ads that we can browse. I spend hours a day doing just that on Amazon, ebay ect.. I would imagine plenty of people here would do the same. People who want to look at the ads can and those that don't want to don't have to.

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
What about having a separate section of the forum that is just for paid ads that we can browse. I spend hours a day doing just that on Amazon, ebay ect.. I would imagine plenty of people here would do the same. People who want to look at the ads can and those that don't want to don't have to.

I agree with this idea, I do the same from time to time. I'd even go to the page to just click a few adds to generate revenue.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
These are all great ideas, but I would like to be as passive in the money collection as possible.

What do you think about a forum for gadget/book/device reviews?

Donating may be an option, but I'd like to see how this month-long trial of viglinks and Google adsense in the archives go before I make any decisions.