Video laryngoscopy

medic258

Forum Crew Member
I was just wondering of your agency uses any type of video laryngoscopy. We just put the Glidescope Ranger on our trucks a few weeks ago and is has mixed reviews. I used it for the first time last week and I am on the fence. Thanks for your time.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Another hammer for the toolbox

I was just wondering of your agency uses any type of video laryngoscopy. We just put the Glidescope Ranger on our trucks a few weeks ago and is has mixed reviews. I used it for the first time last week and I am on the fence. Thanks for your time.

My service has had good results with the glidescope. We only use it if we are having difficulty with standard laryngoscopy. We have not had to use a backup airway if the glidescope is available.

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
We use it in the ED where I work. The docs swear by it and our medics dont seem to use it. One doc said he thinks that metal blades are out dated and the glydescope is the only device you should use unless its too bright to use it.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
We use it in the ED where I work. The docs swear by it and our medics dont seem to use it. One doc said he thinks that metal blades are out dated and the glydescope is the only device you should use unless its too bright to use it.

I would disagree. It is a great backup plan. Works wonders. But it is electronic and according to Murphy's Law, it is bound to fail when you need it. I can see going straight to it on a really difficult airway or in case of c-spine injury. You should still be very proficient with "metal blades" and not just throw them by the way side.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

Good tool to have in the toolbox, but far from ready to be the only tool. Much better to have a wide range of options including direct and video laryngoscopy, bougies, supraglotic airways, surgical or percutanous circ, ect.

What happens if it is to bright to use? Or the batteries god dead, screen gets cracked, it gets dumped in the toilet ect, ect, ect...