Very excited and a little freaked out...

only1jomo

Forum Probie
Hi guys. I'm 37 and after majoring in child psychology and early childhood education, I finally figured out what I really want to do with my life. I am starting my EMT-B program at UCLA in a couple months. I'm totally excited and have been studying my butt off. I am also starting CERT training at the end of this month.

Like many of you I am trying to do all I can to prepare and be the best I can be. What I'd like to know is has anyone else gone through the basic program later in life and were you totally freaked out? I know I'm making the right choice and I know I can do it but am I alone in freaking myself out with thoughts of "can I learn this", "will I be good at it", "am I going to be the oldest one in the class", and any other crazy thought that keeps you from fulfilling your goals? And of course any advise you may have is more than welcome. You guys already talked me out of an excellerated program and I'm greatful. I'm much happier with my choice of programs, now.

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for any feedback.

mojo

Shabo

Forum Probie
37 nah, I was assisting with a basic class last fall that had three students in the 45-60 range. Don't stress about it, most of the class will be younger students but what difference does that really make to your education?

There were four older students (myself included) in my basic class, and we were the top of our class. Whether you know it or not your maturity and ability to focus on a goal has already put you ahead of the younger students. Having some experience in life helps to keep things in perspective and keeps you on track when others may be swayed. Do your work, READ THE BOOK, ask questions, and practice the hands on whenever you are given the opportunity. If you want it, you'll do it, and do it well. ;)

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I was 30 when I first attempted to take the basic class. It did not go real well, I was newly married with a baby and pumping concrete 12 hours a day, I was done after three weeks. At 37 I took the first responder course offered by my volunteer department, spent some time running calls and realized I really liked caring for patients in the field. I made a plan that included taking each step on the ladder and never letting my age stop me from reaching my goals. I'm now 47 an EMT-IV Tech and a Peds ED Tech. I hope to start taking some pre reqs in the fall but I'm in no hurry. I have worked hard to get this far and I take great pride in having accomplished the goals I set for myself. I have meet some amazing people along the way and look forward to spending many more years doing something in the EMS arena, right now I'm trying to decide which path to follow.

You have two things that will take you a long way in this field maturity and a good education. As you have probably figured out education is a big one with most everyone that posts here. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
Yea I feel the same way, however, I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. Im only 17 and I am going to be taking it before I am 18, obviously I know that I am only a year younger but still. I also know that conneticut lets people be EMTS when they are 16... IMO a little too young.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Do yourself a favor and finish your education. EMT pay is laughably low, with a general lack of career development, and the field does lend itself to frequent burnout. Many progress to RN, RT, PA, Med School, or a career in Emergency Management. You can always work EMS per diem/part time, and/or volly to make sure it's what you want. If you feel that child psych/edu isn't for you, then use your existing education towards the medical field, such as an RN or Resp Therapist. RN's can typically challenge the medic exam, anyway. I'm looking to pursue an associate RN in the near future. If I could do it over, I would have done the RN program first, and challenged the medic afterward. A good number of fire rescue depts will hire firemedics of any age. At Fairfax, the oldest graduate was about 50 y.o. Something else to think about.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Burlyskink

I think maturity and being able to physically do the job should be among the minimum requirements. I know some 25 y/o that have no business being on scene but I also know some 16 y/o that are more than capable of working in the field especially in a volunteer setting where providers are few. Most states set the age at 18 which I agree with, you should be ready at that point in your life to begin your education.

Everyone should learn BLS/CPR at the youngest age possible. when you finish your EMT class remember it is just the basics as the title implies. You must be willing to continue to educate yourself for as long as you are provider. Be an outstanding EMT and you will lay the foundation that you can build on no matter what path you choose.

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I'm 35 and I was pretty nervous when I first stepped into class last Fall (just ask a few people in chat!). I just made sure I read everything, asked questions, and practiced as much as possible. Now we're down to just 2 weeks of class to go and I'm at the top. You should do just fine. Use your anxiety as a motivator to keep you studying and working hard.

Good luck!

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
46young - I actually was looking into RN and was very fortunate to be able to volunteer in peds at a hospital. I just didn't feel it was for me. No disrespect but Resp. Therapist could not sound more boring or be further from what I am looking for. My plan is to go all the way to paramedic. I'm not all that concerned about the money. I didnt choose this field for the money. I chose it because Im good in stressful and emergency situations and I love medicine and I want to be of service to my community. I dont mean that to sound all high and mighty. Its just my personality. It has always been my personality.

walkman50

Forum Ride Along
Glad to hear it's a viable second career. I've been stuck behind a desk in IT for the last 20 years and need to do something else.

I'm looking to get started volunteering with the local St. John Ambulance brigade to try things out, and then do the EMR (EMT-B) course next winter. I've wondered about switching careers to EMS, and I'm glad to hear there are a few of us older fellers out there.

Good luck getting started!

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
46young - I actually was looking into RN and was very fortunate to be able to volunteer in peds at a hospital. I just didn't feel it was for me. No disrespect but Resp. Therapist could not sound more boring or be further from what I am looking for. My plan is to go all the way to paramedic. I'm not all that concerned about the money. I didnt choose this field for the money. I chose it because Im good in stressful and emergency situations and I love medicine and I want to be of service to my community. I dont mean that to sound all high and mighty. Its just my personality. It has always been my personality.

Understood. With that attitude, you'll probably be able to beat the odds, to do this as a career, and not burn out. Keep up on your PT, I know of many broken down medics due primarily to back or shoulder issues. If you have a heavy pt, or a difficult/awkward removal, don't try to be a hero, call for the lift assist. Good luck!

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
Understood. With that attitude, you'll probably be able to beat the odds, to do this as a career, and not burn out. Keep up on your PT, I know of many broken down medics due primarily to back or shoulder issues. If you have a heavy pt, or a difficult/awkward removal, don't try to be a hero, call for the lift assist. Good luck!

Absolutely!! First rule..keep my self safe and healthy so they dont have to call EMS for me. :) Thank you for the feedback.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
Burlyskink

I think maturity and being able to physically do the job should be among the minimum requirements. I know some 25 y/o that have no business being on scene but I also know some 16 y/o that are more than capable of working in the field especially in a volunteer setting where providers are few. Most states set the age at 18 which I agree with, you should be ready at that point in your life to begin your education.

Everyone should learn BLS/CPR at the youngest age possible. when you finish your EMT class remember it is just the basics as the title implies. You must be willing to continue to educate yourself for as long as you are provider. Be an outstanding EMT and you will lay the foundation that you can build on no matter what path you choose.

Very good point! You are absolutely right about the different ages and maturity. As for the education, and willingness to educate myself is not a problem. I love the aspects of Emergency Medicine and my main goal is to help people, that and provide the best care that I possibly can to a Pt. I also already know cpr and obviously first aid... Thank you for responding.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
You'll be surprised how well you'll do; your life experience and maturity will be a definite plus. I took the basic course the last time (I've had to take the entire course 5 times due to moving in the military) at age 46 and took the -I course for the first time at age 48. A classmate in my -I class was 56 and recently completed his medic class and passed both the -I and -P the first go.

EMS25

Forum Crew Member
Hi guys. I'm 37 and after majoring in child psychology and early childhood education, I finally figured out what I really want to do with my life. I am starting my EMT-B program at UCLA in a couple months. I'm totally excited and have been studying my butt off. I am also starting CERT training at the end of this month.

Like many of you I am trying to do all I can to prepare and be the best I can be. What I'd like to know is has anyone else gone through the basic program later in life and were you totally freaked out? I know I'm making the right choice and I know I can do it but am I alone in freaking myself out with thoughts of "can I learn this", "will I be good at it", "am I going to be the oldest one in the class", and any other crazy thought that keeps you from fulfilling your goals? And of course any advise you may have is more than welcome. You guys already talked me out of an excellerated program and I'm greatful. I'm much happier with my choice of programs, now.

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for any feedback.

mojo

I was 36 when I started. Now I am almost 40 and I love the job. I am thinking about doing paramedic school. Age doesn't matter. The UCLA program is very good. I took a one day expanded scope of practice class there. We were sitting in the EMT class that day, and I was impressed. My EMT training which I took in a community college wasn’t that good. So good luck, you won’t regret it.

rjddvm

Forum Crew Member
Hi,

I'm 46 and took basic last fall. I was by far the oldest one in the class; the instructor was six years younger than I am. But I had a ball with the students who were young enough to be my kids and we're having a class reunion next week.

You can do it! It is never, ever too late to reinvent yourself or find your true calling. Good for you for thinking outside the box and trying something new. You don't want to be sitting around when you're elderly and wondering what might have been if you had only tried EMS.

traumaqueen63

Forum Probie
You are young! I am a 46 year old woman in the middle of a divorce,working full time and raising a 9 & 13 yr old girl! I thought real hard about making this decision and grant it,it will only be supplemental income. I am not doing it for the big bucks! It is something I have wanted to do for many years. Maybe midlife crisis thing,but I just finished EMT Basic class here in southern Wisconsin,just passed my state practical and the CBT exam. It took me 2 tries,but I made it! I was determined and it has been a looooong time since I had to study. But ya gotta study. Homemade flashcards worked great for me! I still refer to them! I am currently a ambulance ride-along, hoping to get hired on by my towns department soon. GOOD LUCK - YOU CAN DO IT!