Verbal First Aid

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief

curt

Forum Crew Member
It's interesting, isn't it? Sounds like voodoo witchcraftery to a lot of people, but I've always heard it said that these sorts of things- the placebo effect, the effect of a calm presence versus an uncalm presence in an emergency, the attitude and words of a care provider- can have a shockingly profound effect. We're still evolving our understanding of the human brain by both baby steps and leaps and bounds, so to say that we know that something like this doesn't work just by looking at principle might be a bit brash, or *might* be a case of blind faith in old understandings.

Personally, I'm going to consider this knowledge to be potentially valuable, keep it in mind, and keep observing for further studies on the efficacy of Verbal First Aid.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Interesting article. It only makes sense though, if you really think about it. There have been all sorts of studies on the affect of pets, prayer/belief in a higher power, and other similar types of things on the healing process and quality/quantity of life. For someone to say that we can have a great affect on someones prognosis based upon how we act and what we say in the early stages of their emergency.

We've all probably seen at one time or another how simply lowering your voice and speaking calmly can help to calm someone down. It seems this article is talking about similar things. Not really anything we didn't already know, if you really stop to think about it.

JustMarti

Forum Probie
I printed off a copy of the article to pass around to certain people on our service... you know the ones, they speak before putting their brains in gear.

I can't wait for the other parts of the article to come out.

thanks for posting this.
Marti