Vehicle Roll Over

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Very cool. Im half way through at Oxnard College's program at the fire academy grounds.

I fixed my title B)

Very cool. I'm probably going to wrap up this year at VC and transfer to OC to get my Fire Tech degree.

Newsboy

Forum Probie
OC is cool. I still attend my last 2 classes at VC while taking my EMT and fire courses. Fire tech is a lot of fun. As long as your stay on top of the work. What helped me the most was getting a few ride alongs before starting the fire courses. Rode with 50s, 23s, 82s, E1, and 54s next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
OC is cool. I still attend my last 2 classes at VC while taking my EMT and fire courses. Fire tech is a lot of fun. As long as your stay on top of the work. What helped me the most was getting a few ride alongs before starting the fire courses. Rode with 50s, 23s, 82s, E1, and 54s next week.

Oh sweet, Yeah I wanna do a ride along too. I'm torn between VC's Paramedic Degree or OCs Fire Tech degree. I'll probably do the Fire tech.

Newsboy

Forum Probie
Oh sweet, Yeah I wanna do a ride along too. I'm torn between VC's Paramedic Degree or OCs Fire Tech degree. I'll probably do the Fire tech.

From what they say the Medic Lic will get you in a department faster. Plus its not near as much money to do it at VC. I want to get my FF1 and Medic. If your going to do a ride along shoot for 54 or 1 for the city. They seam to get more calls.

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
From what they say the Medic Lic will get you in a department faster. Plus its not near as much money to do it at VC. I want to get my FF1 and Medic. If your going to do a ride along shoot for 54 or 1 for the city. They seam to get more calls.

Oh I know a Medic cert will make things easier but idk if I wanna have that as my major.

Newsboy

Forum Probie
I didn't even know that counted as a major. I already have my basic AA in general studies. I thought the medic cert was just a cert.

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
I didn't even know that counted as a major. I already have my basic AA in general studies. I thought the medic cert was just a cert.

Most of the time the medic cert is just that, just a cert, but VC offers a degree in Paramedic Studies that goes a little beyond the basics of Paramedic. The degree has classes like Medical terminology, Paramedic Theory, Abnormal Psychology, etc.

Newsboy

Forum Probie
Thats really neat. I did not know they offered that. I think a FD would rather want to see a medic cert and a FF1 cert

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Thats really neat. I did not know they offered that. I think a FD would rather want to see a medic cert and a FF1 cert

I would think so. Im probably going to get my fire academy next year, and have that along side my Paramedic Studies Degree. If I have to (or just for fun) I might get a second AS in Fire tech. Why not?

Newsboy

Forum Probie
Exactly. Just keep getting degrees and certs until you are picked up from a department. Thats what I am going to do.

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Exactly. Just keep getting degrees and certs until you are picked up from a department. Thats what I am going to do.

Sounds like a plan! Haha

Where do you WANT to get hired. (Notice I said WANT because that is almost defiantly different than where you WILL get hired)

I want Ventura City (haha) but I'm considering CalFire. My dad is a Capitan with them.

Newsboy

Forum Probie
Sounds like a plan! Haha

Where do you WANT to get hired. (Notice I said WANT because that is almost defiantly different than where you WILL get hired)

I want Ventura City (haha) but I'm considering CalFire. My dad is a Capitan with them.

I am looking more at Riverside, San Diego, maybe even Seattle (They pay more) Maybe CalFire for a summer job. Ventura City is awesome. County would be cool too but they never hire.

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
I am looking more at Riverside, San Diego, maybe even Seattle (They pay more) Maybe CalFire for a summer job. Ventura City is awesome. County would be cool too but they never hire.

County actually pays more for Medic FF's but I grew up in Ventura soo...

But I wouldnt mind working for County at all

Last edited by a moderator:

Newsboy

Forum Probie
The city just hired some people I think. So they should be hiring again in like 2 years. Which would be perfect for you.

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
The city just hired some people I think. So they should be hiring again in like 2 years. Which would be perfect for you.

Haha Yeah they just hired people. But these people have been applying for 5-10 years.. :p

Thats why I'm taking my time with school.

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Same. Just test wherever you can. Good practice.

Oh yeah. I tested for the county crew this year but I dropped out to stay in school.

Newsboy

Forum Probie
Yeah 300 applied. 4 confirmed open spots with a possibility of 12 open spots. Gotta love them odds.

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah 300 applied. 4 confirmed open spots with a possibility of 12 open spots. Gotta love them odds.

Especially with no experience behind me. I took the test, passed, gained the experience and went to school haha

Newsboy

Forum Probie
Especially with no experience behind me. I took the test, passed, gained the experience and went to school haha

Haha thats the way to do it! Do you train at all? Run, hike, ect. I am starting to do more and more of it because its vitally important. If so i'll have to hit you up sometime