VA Beach EMS

Iambatman

Forum Probie
Does anyone have any insight to VA Beach EMS? I saw they're hiring Paramedics, and am intrigued by their system.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
they used to the largest volunteer EMS system in the country...

but it's interesting that they are now hiring... https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=VBGOV&cws=37&rid=35530

If I'm not mistaken, VA Beach EMS is an umbrella org for the various historical rescue squads that provide EMS to the area. As a whole they run about 50,000 call a year

their websites describes them as the following:
We operate the nation’s largest volunteer-based rescue system. Ten volunteer rescue squads work together with around 75 career staff to provide emergency healthcare services. Over 550 active volunteer members run calls, help on specialty teams, and help behind the scenes. VBEMS has received numerous awards, as well as local, national, and international recognition for the services and volunteer strength we have.
I have no first hand knowledge, but they seem to be a busy combination EMS agency that pays decently.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
they used to the largest volunteer EMS system in the country...

but it's interesting that they are now hiring... https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=VBGOV&cws=37&rid=35530

If I'm not mistaken, VA Beach EMS is an umbrella org for the various historical rescue squads that provide EMS to the area. As a whole they run about 50,000 call a year

their websites describes them as the following:

I have no first hand knowledge, but they seem to be a busy combination EMS agency that pays decently.

A guy I work with now was a medic there. He said it was an absolute s—- show.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
A guy I work with now was a medic there. He said it was an absolute s—- show.
I have been in this field for over 20 years, in three states... one thing I have learned is that the definition of a **** show is often in the eyes of the person telling the story, and one person's **** show is another person's paradise (or maybe not paradise, but worth spending 20 years working in the system until they can retire).

Not saying your coworker is wrong, but I would have to ask for concrete examples as to why he felt it was so bad, as well as how many years he worked in the system.

NomadicMedic

I have been in this field for over 20 years, in three states... one thing I have learned is that the definition of a **** show is often in the eyes of the person telling the story, and one person's **** show is another person's paradise (or maybe not paradise, but worth spending 20 years working in the system until they can retire).

Not saying your coworker is wrong, but I would have to ask for concrete examples as to why he felt it was so bad, as well as how many years he worked in the system.
Several years as a medic and typical volunteer issues.

DrtyMdc

Forum Ride Along
Can directly confirm that it is a S$$$ show. Eventually, it will figure itself out... Maybe..

A system that needs more than double the typical number of trucks put on the street (9). Almost 50k calls a year...

Not a volunteer-based system anymore. They sugar and rose cover it. But typical shift most trucks having at least 1 career medic on them. (Was originally set up and supposed to be a tiered response (fly car) system w/ primarily volunteer BLS trucks)

Volunteers call out just before shift and medics end up driving across the city/county to cover the hole.

The "White shirt" to "Blue shirt" ratio is in the 1:1-1:3 ratio (Just kinda depends on what part of the system) (AKA way to top-heavy) (They actually have a chief that no one knows what that person actually does)

Is micromanagement a reasonable term?

Is saying that institutional incest is a thing too? Most top brass comes from volunteers and only knows what they know and doesn't know what they don't. Most have never been outside of the system/region.

Volunteers are nice and mean well. But typical turnover is less than 2 years. Experience does not abound in this system. (Not that teaching is a bad thing.. but every call gets to be a bit much (Think Groundhog day.. but with BP cuffs)

The EMS department has the belief that they are steering the ship. Volunteers wield all the power still though. Their new name change is rumored (pretty reliably) to have started with the volunteers. The EMS Chief got surprised with the name change (6 months from when the move started) in front of the city council when it got presented. New truck designs (city-owned assets too), shirts, logos.. the whole works.

Most of the medics are now unionized under the Fire union. That should tell ya something in and of itself. With a few lawsuits already won.

City-owned assets are fairly consistent and good as far as equipment (until that gets randomly changed one night and no one gets told.. AKA communication in the dept is HORRIBLE) (#greattofindoutwhenyourthefirstarrivingtoaCardiacArrest)

Volunteer assets.. AKA all the ambulances/equipment outside of the fly cars.. is done on an Adhoc basis. Trucks have been designed and ordered by each (10) different stations based on their perceived needs for their "district". Also coincides with their 2-year turnover and popularity contest of who will be the "chief" of that station and what they may or may not have liked about things and how they want to change things. No unified ambulance chassis, box, layout, equipment, ordering, stocking, etc... (Has directly resulted in an Ambulance t-boning a car in an intersection (Bus had a red light and ran it) because the volunteer driver was from a different station and not familiar with the controls upfront while driving emergent with a pt in the back)

Multiple upper-level Chiefs have left in the last 2 years with basically peace I'm out notices.

Do we broach the open secret subject of supervisors sleeping with volunteers in the stations (while on duty)?

Does this stuff qualify as S$it show level shenanigans?

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

Can directly confirm that it is a S$$$ show. Eventually, it will figure itself out... Maybe..

A system that needs more than double the typical number of trucks put on the street (9). Almost 50k calls a year...

Not a volunteer-based system anymore. They sugar and rose cover it. But typical shift most trucks having at least 1 career medic on them. (Was originally set up and supposed to be a tiered response (fly car) system w/ primarily volunteer BLS trucks)

Volunteers call out just before shift and medics end up driving across the city/county to cover the hole.

The "White shirt" to "Blue shirt" ratio is in the 1:1-1:3 ratio (Just kinda depends on what part of the system) (AKA way to top-heavy) (They actually have a chief that no one knows what that person actually does)

Is micromanagement a reasonable term?

Is saying that institutional incest is a thing too? Most top brass comes from volunteers and only knows what they know and doesn't know what they don't. Most have never been outside of the system/region.

Volunteers are nice and mean well. But typical turnover is less than 2 years. Experience does not abound in this system. (Not that teaching is a bad thing.. but every call gets to be a bit much (Think Groundhog day.. but with BP cuffs)

The EMS department has the belief that they are steering the ship. Volunteers wield all the power still though. Their new name change is rumored (pretty reliably) to have started with the volunteers. The EMS Chief got surprised with the name change (6 months from when the move started) in front of the city council when it got presented. New truck designs (city-owned assets too), shirts, logos.. the whole works.

Most of the medics are now unionized under the Fire union. That should tell ya something in and of itself. With a few lawsuits already won.

City-owned assets are fairly consistent and good as far as equipment (until that gets randomly changed one night and no one gets told.. AKA communication in the dept is HORRIBLE) (#greattofindoutwhenyourthefirstarrivingtoaCardiacArrest)

Volunteer assets.. AKA all the ambulances/equipment outside of the fly cars.. is done on an Adhoc basis. Trucks have been designed and ordered by each (10) different stations based on their perceived needs for their "district". Also coincides with their 2-year turnover and popularity contest of who will be the "chief" of that station and what they may or may not have liked about things and how they want to change things. No unified ambulance chassis, box, layout, equipment, ordering, stocking, etc... (Has directly resulted in an Ambulance t-boning a car in an intersection (Bus had a red light and ran it) because the volunteer driver was from a different station and not familiar with the controls upfront while driving emergent with a pt in the back)

Multiple upper-level Chiefs have left in the last 2 years with basically peace I'm out notices.

Do we broach the open secret subject of supervisors sleeping with volunteers in the stations (while on duty)?

Does this stuff qualify as S$it show level shenanigans?
Closely mirrors a lot of what I heard. Primarily related to the volunteers steering the ship.