Unknown Toxin - Wanna Sniff?

OP
OP
M

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Fire was not called to the scene, PD didnt want it and Poison Control told me to bring it. The scene took place outdoors, so ventilation was not a problem.

Her breath smelled bad, but not unlike any other bad breath I have smelled.

So, seriously... what if I were able to identify the smell? Say as beach? Would that not help in poison control letting me know if there were anything that I should do to care for the patient?

As it were, by describing it to them they recommended I let the pt have a few sips of water, as this is what they recommend for something that is costic.

Oh well, live and learn.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
EMS Law, never pass the first body.

When I took my hazmat courses the mantra was: minimum safe distance was 500 yards from the nearest dead cop.

No offense to LE, but they do like to pass up fire trucks and ambulances on the way to scenes in my experience.

TEST

is not an acronym for "touch, examine, smell, taste" :)

Sam Adams

Forum Lieutenant
I went on a call for a pt who drank an unknown substance (Indicated someone put something in her soda bottle...) and was experiencing burning in her throat, esophagus and stomach.

Sounds like the last shot of whiskey I drank.

But seriously, you have an unknown substance that caused symptoms severe enough to initiate a 911 response. I'd call that a hazardous material. There is ZERO chance I'm smelling it. I'd even consider grossly decontaminating the patient and NOT bringing the hazardous substance to the hospital with me.