Univ North Carolina Medic to PA program!

BSE

Forum Probie
I got some pretty good skinny on this when I last re-certified at the JSOMT.

One, it is only 18D, but there is talk opening it up for the SO-IDC's who went through the long course.

Two, this is not a "get out and start school" type of deal. The degree requirements are the same as most PA schools. The pre-recs still need to be completed with the exception of Anatomy/Physiology.

Standard PA pre-recs, some schools will have slight differences:

2 sem of A&P
2 sem BIO I&II
2 sem Gen Chem I&II
1 to 2 sem Organic Chem or Biochem
1 sem Microbiology
Usually there is a requirement for 2 or more upper level Bio courses (cell biology, genetics.....and such)

The UNC pre-recs haven't been hashed out yet, but it will be similar to the above.

What the guys are getting is a guaranteed admission into the program if they complete the degree requirements and pre-recs above a certain GPA which hasn't been established yet. I would guess they would put it at about 3.2. This is the kicker, PA schools are super competitive to get into, they get a spot by virtue of their previous training and service....which is good for them. I am inclined to say they deserve it.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
So it is not as the news reports and news releases say, but it is still a good deal.

There is a potential business opportunity counseling and acting as agent for veterans who need assistance getting onto school, getting benefits, etc.

BSE

Forum Probie
So it is not as the news reports and news releases say, but it is still a good deal.

There is a potential business opportunity counseling and acting as agent for veterans who need assistance getting onto school, getting benefits, etc.

Could be. There are a few schools that actively seek military medics, UW being one of the main. Much of it has to do with folks not being able to get the pre-recs done while serving.

About UNC...I could be wrong and things might have changed. I was in Bragg last year and this is what they were proposing. I am friends with one of the guys who helped to set this up; this is where I am getting most of my info, but it is dated.

18D's, SO-IDC's, and SO-IDMT's would have the easiest transition. I would love to see it open to all three.

alabamatriathlete

Forum Crew Member
DOD Paramedic on one of the CA teams down here at Bragg myself. Taking all my pre-reqs for PA school and so forth now at nights - alot of the dudes in the class are 18D's and similar. Dudes are great at trauma - not the best with clinical aspect of things, but that's not to say for all 18D dudes. Got alot of good buddies in Group and they're fantastic and will be great PA's one day. Guess we're all going down the same path lol