Unions under attack

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I have degree in business so while I appreciate that article advice, I will go by what I been taught on how to run a business. I have successful business model or I would be already out of business.

But is it as successful as it could possibly be? You've reached a ceiling and can change absolutely nothing to make yourself the best?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
But is it as successful as it could possibly be? You've reached a ceiling and can change absolutely nothing to make yourself the best?
It depends on his goal (and i can totally see where Looker is coming from). His goal is to make as much money for himself and his company. Odds are, raising wages wouldn't help help, nor would having the employees unionize.

Having ambulances with 300k miles, in poor condition, with poorly trained or equipped personnel who are stuck in an ambulance for 8-12 hours straight would generate the same revenue as ambulances with 25k miles, in brand new condition, with highly trained and well equipped personnel (making more money per hour), who are given stations, except the latter costs much more with no additional income.

It's simple income vs expenses. I don't blame Looker for running his business like that, as it makes good financial sense. It makes money for him, and until his income starts declining due to the conditions, there is no reason for him to change at all. But I know I wouldn't want to work for his company.

SliceOfLife

Forum Crew Member
His goal is to make as much money for himself and his company

That is the goal for every buisness including non-profits. That is my goal when I go to work each day as I'm sure it's yours. No one is working for free.

He risks everything to run a buisness and should be rewarded with the lion's share. Why else would anyone start a buisness if the rewards equaled that of a regular employee who assumes no risk.

Assuming an average growth of 3% what would you do with that money? Invest it in growing your company and adding jobs or disperse it through pay increases outside of what has already been structured in?

Now if he is using the worst equipment and not maintaining anything his buisness will eventualy fail. But since he is still in buisness he is obviously doing something right. It's easy to armchair quaterback how things should be done but untill you mortgage your house and burry yourself in debt and possibly go years without paying yourself or seeing a profit, take it easy on someone who is actualy doing it.

If you think you can do it better than by all means start a company, execute whatever buisness model you chose and compete in the market.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief

There is always room to expand. That is true for anyone and every business. The only question is what is the cost to expand by entering new market etc and what is the return on that investment.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Mebbe so, but, you keep treating your people like crap, eventually all you will have working for you, is crap. When all you have working for you is crap, your service will be crap, and the customers will begin to notice, and begin to go elsewhere.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Mebbe so, but, you keep treating your people like crap, eventually all you will have working for you, is crap. When all you have working for you is crap, your service will be crap, and the customers will begin to notice, and begin to go elsewhere.

Have you been to Mcdonalds? Do you know how much they make? Have you try getting a job there? Chances are when you apply you will not be the only one and it will be hard to get a job. It's same thing with EMS industry. Right now I and any other company can replace all of their employees if needed in a day. You make it sound like unless employees get "higher" wage, better equipment etc they going to leave for a new job. The question is what new job? People are having hell of time finding a job. Welcome to the reality of EMS world.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Keep in mind that Looker does not compete for 911 or CCT transport contracts where skilled providers are a prerequisite. He is BLS only and avoids the risk inherent in higher-acuity tasks. Given the likely skill level and equipment of his company and the contracts he has, that makes sense.

Were he to run a 911 system, I think he would be out of business fast.

In addition, he takes a substantial risk with substandard. All it takes is one lawsuit and an EMT pointing to a broken rig or malfunctioning AED, or a compliance check, and his company is hurting badly.

Last edited by a moderator:

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Keep in mind that Looker does not compete for 911 or CCT transport contracts where skilled providers are a prerequisite. He is BLS only and avoids the risk inherent in higher-acuity tasks. Given the likely skill level and equipment of his company and the contracts he has, that makes sense.

Were he to run a 911 system, I think he would be out of business fast.

In addition, he takes a substantial risk with substandard. All it takes is one lawsuit and an EMT pointing to a broken rig or malfunctioning AED, or a compliance check, and his company is hurting badly.

No AED is required here. I am not even sure if private 911 providers even have AED. All rigs are in working order. Could not get away with broken rigs.

RocketMedic

No AED is required here. I am not even sure if private 911 providers even have AED. All rigs are in working order. Could not get away with broken rigs.

How are your trucks even ambulances?

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
It is not uncommon for an agency to not have AED's.

adamjh3

It is not uncommon for an agency to not have AED's.

Especially in socal. I only know of 2 companies (out of 20 something in my county) that carry AEDs

adamjh3

Sounds like more of a taxi cab than an ambulance...

In two years I've never needed one, and none of my crews have needed one. BLS is it's own animal out here. But now I'm helping pull the thread off topic

RocketMedic

One lawsuit away...

adamjh3

I am betting if there was union that is what they would say and force company to buy it. There is nothing wrong with performing CPR.

Naw. My company is union. no AEDs.

A union can't really force anything on a company. A contact is signed by all parties, if that contact is violated that's where the union steps in.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Naw. My company is union. no AEDs.

A union can't really force anything on a company. A contact is signed by all parties, if that contact is violated that's where the union steps in.

They can push for it during contract negotiation.