Unilateral IV Lines

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
We would like to gather some thoughts on the use of placing two intravenous lines (IV) unilateral vs placing bilateral intravenous lines for the severely hemo-dynamically compromised patient. Currently, in the pre-hospital setting, our training does not provide a clear yes "do it" or no "don't do it" answer. We have searched on the internet but failed to find any definitive or conclusive information.

The areas of discussion surrounding the topic (Two IV lines on one arm) are as follows:

1. Should you elect to place two intra venous lines unilateral, do you start placing them distal to proximal as per usual, or do you place them from proximal to distal??, as the latter appears to be the sensible choice in this case scenario. Should you however place the 1st IV line distal, you have a chance of compromising the 1st distal IV line if you perform an unsuccessful veni-puncture at a site proximal to the 1st IV line.

2. Does it not make sense to have have the IV lines on one side of the patient as it allows for a less cluttered scene?? You will only need to watch out for one side, with regards to pulling out already successfully placed IV lines, by hooking them etc. You would also only need one IV stand or holder.. Both the flow controls will be next to each other which will allow for easy management there of, and preventing trying to find the other one.

3. On how many occasions have you taken a patient the to emergency department and the staff complains as you have now left them without any veins to perform their veni-punctures for blood samples. By performing 2 IV lines unilateral, you will leave the hospital staff an arm with intact veins.

4. Anything else???

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Our protocols actually state that the IV's are to be bilateral, and I haven't really given much thought to the unilateral aspect.

My concerns with unilateral IV's would be fluid overload on the affected side if you are trying to push large amounts of fluid.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Ive done it once.

Pt had a brachial artery lac and bleed on the left arm and had excellent veins on both arms. Thus we started two 14s, one on the inside and one on the outside of his A/C area. Worked well without any problems, and the Doc said it was fine when we got to the ER.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
We had a patient in severe shock in the ED yesterday. She had people on both sides starting IV's. She ended up with unilateral IV's - one in the inner forearm, the other in the ipsilateral AC. These two were patent and running first and the boluses went in on both of these. It was good.
My thought is bilateral if you have the time - whereever you can get them when you dont.

Stay safe

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Depends on the situation: quality of veins, injuries, etc. You get what you can get.

OP
OP
paramedix

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
It seems much easier and less messy dangling over trauma patients and scuffing around to get everything done.

Regarding the fluid overload.... I try to make the unilateral iv's a discussion for every patient that needs fluids fast, and have discussed it with our paramedic students. So far all good replies, but some never heard about it.

The fluid overload? Why you think that.

I have had the same results in all of my patients with bilateral or unilateral iv's...

Post your scenarios and your pro's and cons of this.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It seems much easier and less messy dangling over trauma patients and scuffing around to get everything done.

Regarding the fluid overload.... I try to make the unilateral iv's a discussion for every patient that needs fluids fast, and have discussed it with our paramedic students. So far all good replies, but some never heard about it.

The fluid overload? Why you think that.

I have had the same results in all of my patients with bilateral or unilateral iv's...

Post your scenarios and your pro's and cons of this.

It does not matter whether it is unilateral, bi-lateral, multiple lumen, etc. Veins are veins, and they all end up at the same place. With this said, one has to remember that there is a great chance that a distal and proximal VP may end up in the same vein (are you sure that basilic vein is not the same vein proximal?), thus if there is a reaction, or need of large fluid introduction it maybe slowed because of amount of the fluid going through the same lumen. Hence the reason most do not use the multiple cath type devices on peripheral IV's.

Personally, limiting the number of VP is the key. The other reason for bi-lateral is to allow access if there is a problem with an IV site (infiltration, reaction-swelling, etc). Personally, I have never had a problem with bi-lateral tubing's as much as multiple unilateral tubing's, all become entangled when moved around. Personally, I only hang one bag of RL or NSS at a time and all other IV's are saline locked off. This allows me to control and monitor as well there is no entanglement problems. I do not "flood" the patient with multiple drips and if need be use give a "bolus" a pressure device can be used to infuse the one line.

Side note in regards to fluid resuscitation is that most Paramedic education is 20 years behind. Fluid resuscitation has been proven to be more detrimental than good back in 1994, when Bickel (Bickel,T; New England Journal of Medicine) described this. Even then I discussed with him and we knew that pronounced fluid administration in the field setting (>2 liters) was foolish and bleeding pink was more going to be detrimental than helpful. Thus the reason blood substitute products/oxygen carrying fluid was a hopeful substitute. PHTLS/IHTLS has been attempting to remove "fluid resuscitation" mentality for decades and for some reason medics are hesitant to accept this.

R/r 911