Uniforms

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Finally my volly service will be issuing uniform shirts to its members. Before this we had to purchase our own uniform shirts if we wanted otherwise all we were issued on the way of uniforms was a jumpsuit. A few of us did purchase our own the short style were standard uniform shirts with pocket flaps and epaulette shoulder tabs. The uniform we will be issued will be.

1 golf shirt
1 short sleeved t-shirt
1 long sleeve t-shirt

So what do you all think. Should my service adopt a more public safety type uniform shirt or are golf shirts and t shirts a better choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Our current uniform consits of a button down business shirt with epaulette flaps, green epaulttes, a plastic name plate, black pants and boots.

It is the most impractical uniform I have ever seen and its totally inappropriate. We can either have a green jersey (V neck) or a vest which the sleeves come off of. Again, not the best.

SERT and Helicopter Intensive Care Officers wear a onesie green zip up jumpsuit and it is so much better, however regular road staff and prohibited form wearing said jumpsuit.

Stay away from the "business" or cop style uniform, ambos are not cops go with the golf shirt.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
My volley unit issues logoed t shirts in whatever color strikes the cheif fancy that month. We are always getting new t shirts. My paid unit issues the cop shirts. I like them for the pen pocket lol.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If you can pick your uniforms, go with a more professional look.

I like 5.11 short sleeve tactile polo/golf shirts. embroidered name and logo on chest. but they are a little pricey, any golf shirt will do.

Short sleeve T-shirts are great to around town, at meetings, while at the gym, but they aren't professional for ambulance work. Ditto Long sleeve T's. Nice to have, good way to show agency pride, but not good for primary uniforms.

paemt

Forum Probie
I personally feel the "uniform" style shirt with the epaulets is much more professional looking. I know of a large local service that allows their employees to wear polos, and I just don't think it is near as professional. The polo is way too casual, and a T-shirt would be even moreso. I could see where a T-shirt may be appropriate for an all volunteer service where members respond from home or the like, but not otherwise.
As for pants I feel the 5.11 style pants are great but also do not feel shorts are appropriate for EMS. We could find ourselves in a number of situations where even a simple layer of cloth from full pants could protect our knees, legs etc. One easy example is an accident scene - ie: broken glass etc.

Just my two cents worth - for what it's worth.