Tulsa EMS and Fire attacked by group of teens

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Source:

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0309/601908.html

Tulsa, OK - A Tulsa fire crew is nursing some scrapes, cuts, bumps and bruises after coming under attack while trying to help an elderly north Tulsa woman.

It happened late Sunday night at about 11 o'clock in the 46-hundred block of North Hartford. That's about a half mile west of 46th Street North and Peoria Avenue.

The fire crews and paramedics from EMSA were responding to that medical call when police say as many as seven teenagers ambushed them as they were getting out of their trucks. Crew members called for backup and as Tulsa police surrounded the area, the teens scattered in all directions. 8 Talkback:

READ THE FULL STORY AT THE SOURCE:
http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0309/601908.html

Now I will tell you something interesting......... look what the PD said about this>>>
"This just never happens to them," said Tulsa Police Captain Shawn King. "They never get assaulted. I mean, they're here to help people and people know that. They may get some verbal confrontations going back and forth, but they're generally not assaulted."

Just goes to show how little coverage the assaults get. See another "safe scene" that wasn't so safe!!!!!

reaper

Working Bum
There would have been some teenagers getting their first taste of a Southern butt whooping!!

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Just goes to show how little coverage the assaults get. See another "safe scene" that wasn't so safe!!!!!
It's truly pathetic how many people in EMS are so clueless. I never cease to be amazed by otherwise intelligent EMTs and medics who mouth off about how they are somehow going to know if a scene is unsafe, and can simply "stage for PD". As if protective equipment and defensive tactics are not needed for us common ambulance drivers. Read it and weep! If you bite the big one on a violent scene, and you never took a single measure to protect yourself or hedge your bets, you get no sympathy from me.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Wow...what did they do to the teenagers? Thats a mean prank.:excl:

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Wow...what did they do to the teenagers? Thats a mean prank.:excl:

This was no prank, a prank is putting baking flour on someones pillow or hanging their uniform shirt in the rafters of the bay. This was just a flat out assault. This stuff makes me sick to my stomach. I wish one of them would have gotten hit in the head with a hydrant wrench.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Just to follow up, they did arrest a couple of teenagers but are still looking for some more.

As well, it is ironic I spent all day at the State Capital pushing four bills; one of them pertains to assaulting an EMS worker and making it a felony. Tragic as this story is; I have to admit it is aiding and helping the bill make it point that is dangerous out there for us.
Even though, this will not help prevent at least prosecution against those will be more than a misdemeanor.

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
Just to follow up, they did arrest a couple of teenagers but are still looking for some more.

As well, it is ironic I spent all day at the State Capital pushing four bills; one of them pertains to assaulting an EMS worker and making it a felony. Tragic as this story is; I have to admit it is aiding and helping the bill make it point that is dangerous out there for us.
Even though, this will not help prevent at least prosecution against those will be more than a misdemeanor.

R/r 911

Did you guys hire the kids just to get the bill passed?:p

Hopefully out of tragedy will come good. Thanks for your efforts RID even if they are not for my state.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder

R/r 911

Thanks for your work on that! I still face ridicule for people not believing assaults on EMS is a problem.....

Still there are still adminsitrators that want to lecture and teach "talk only".... Verbal skills are a huge part of preventing assaults...........but what happens when it doesn't work?

Hey Rid, did you show them the video of the medic punched at the crash scene?