trying to get my first emt job at 18

newbie12

Forum Ride Along
I got my NREMT this past May, a few months after I turned 18. I have had a few calls for intervies (casios, behavior helth facilities), but they back out after learning I'm under 21. I am moving to Vegas soon and am wonding if there are any other options for me to get started w my EMS career other then volunteering at hosps? (I'm ok with volunteering, I'm just in need of some stable paying work as well) I would like to take EMT-I next spring, and am also considering CNA and trying to get some Pt experience that way. My 3yrs lifeguarding experience doesn't seem to be as helpful as I thought it would. I'm starting to wonder if I got my EMT at too young of age? Anyway I'm all ears for how I can get started right.

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant
Seems like most companies want a 5 year driving history. Maybe you will find a company that hires non-drivers.

SicilianMedic07

Forum Ride Along
You should be able to find some work as an EMT. You're on the right thought process, considering hospitals and what not. I know that some ambulance services will not hire folks under 21 only because they cannot insure you. At least, that's the case here in Southern Arizona. Getting your CNA definitely won't hurt you. Seeing if you can reserve at a FD and gain experience. The key is to not get discouraged and to find something that works for you. Good luck! :D