Trying not to become a whacker...

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
This is my greatest fear, that I will appear unprofessional and lose the respect of my peers and look like a tool. As a result I think I am becoming somewhat of a minimalist, I carry only my crackberry, keys, wallet, gloves and my pager on my person. My car only has my seldom used blue light but often used gps. I do have a jacket with a star of life on the left pocket but I don't plan on using it more than is absolutely necessary. I don't wear any EMT t-shirts. I feel its unprofessional to advertise myself although I am extremely proud to be an EMT and work as a volunteer. I work hard to advance my education as often as possible. I don't tell people unless they ask. I think my greatest tool is my mind. Maybe I'm nuts but that's just me.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
This is my greatest fear, that I will appear unprofessional and lose the respect of my peers and look like a tool. As a result I think I am becoming somewhat of a minimalist, I carry only my crackberry, keys, wallet, gloves and my pager on my person. My car only has my seldom used blue light but often used gps. I do have a jacket with a star of life on the left pocket but I don't plan on using it more than is absolutely necessary. I don't wear any EMT t-shirts. I feel its unprofessional to advertise myself although I am extremely proud to be an EMT and work as a volunteer. I work hard to advance my education as often as possible. I don't tell people unless they ask. I think my greatest tool is my mind. Maybe I'm nuts but that's just me.

Just be yourself and carry what you need and don't worry about everyone else. I always carry a pocket guide, pen light, shears and extra gloves. My back pack holds everything else.

As for shirts. Wear what you like. Not what you think others will accept. If a shirt proudly displays your company/FD/PD or whatever, wear what you're comfortable wearing. Tatoos may be a bit much IMO but clothing..nah. Especially if it was free stuff and you like it ^_^

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I feel inclined to echo the normal "be yourself" comments that usually fill a thread of this kind.

Fact of the matter is though, that you have to work with those people and if they all think you're a d**k, its makes your life harder. I know the feeling, because, as a student on placements in different spots all the time, I come across completely different practices in different places that are considered by those that practice them to be self evident and completely sensible. It's often of concern to me that might I pick something up, be it a habbit, a skill, some lingo, or some equipment (I see someone else using it, and buy it myself because it look like a good idea), and I move on to somewhere else and get ripped a new one by every one who I come into contact with.

While it can be a balance (if it makes your life a million times easier as far as abuse goes to put your gloves in your pocket rather than in your fireproof, chemical proof, pathogen proof, bullet proof glove pouch then maybe its worth it), at the end of the day you should just do what you want too. The whole point of the "whacker" thing, seems not necessarily to be tied up in the actual equipment but the attitude that often precedes it. If you value a good education; evidence based, ethical patient care; and are good at your job, I don't think anybody who matters is ganna give a stuff if you glove up from a bat belt.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I feel inclined to echo the normal "be yourself" comments that usually fill a thread of this kind.

Fact of the matter is though, that you have to work with those people and if they all think you're a d**k, its makes your life harder. I know the feeling, because, as a student on placements in different spots all the time, I come across completely different practices in different places that are considered by those that practice them to be self evident and completely sensible. It's often of concern to me that might I pick something up, be it a habbit, a skill, some lingo, or some equipment (I see someone else using it, and buy it myself because it look like a good idea), and I move on to somewhere else and get ripped a new one by every one who I come into contact with.

While it can be a balance (if it makes your life a million times easier as far as abuse goes to put your gloves in your pocket rather than in your fireproof, chemical proof, pathogen proof, bullet proof glove pouch then maybe its worth it), at the end of the day you should just do what you want too. The whole point of the "whacker" thing, seems not necessarily to be tied up in the actual equipment but the attitude that often precedes it. If you value a good education; evidence based, ethical patient care; and are good at your job, I don't think anybody who matters is ganna give a stuff if you glove up from a bat belt.

The most whacked out Medic will be accepted long before the ars will be for sure! Being a humble whacker and ethical human being goes a lot further than a braggart in any profession, no doubt.

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Youre not even close to being a whacker, I will be getting EMT Plates, I dont carry a jump bag with me unless I know I am going into a remote area where help is a ways off. The only thing I carry on me everyday is a keychain pocket mask with a set of gloves.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The truth is, most of the people you come in contact with don't think about you at all unless you draw attention to yourself. if you're spending time worrying about how people perceive you, you might want to look at how YOU perceive you. There are some who will look for anything to criticize, so no one's invulnerable there. Being a people pleaser serves no one.

OP
OP
Manic_Wombat

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
I don't think it stems from a need to please people per se, as much as it is to appear professional and well prepared.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
There's nothing wrong with looking professional or being prepared for any situation. Everything from medical emergencies to natural disasters can happen at any time and any place. the "Whacker Persona" is merely thinking that you are the "alpha and omega", an EMT/Medic on an ego trip. Listening to a scanner could be construed as being a whacker, but many people listen to scanners for many different reasons. Some listen for CHP traffic, some listen for Fire/NOAA info. I use mine because I commute a distance to work at varied times and sometimes it takes some time to get EMS/Fire on scene. It just depends on what you classify as a whacker.

Personally, I think your in the clear!

OP
OP
Manic_Wombat

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
Haha, I don't own a scanner, but my pager is broken and receives every single transmission from every single volunteer fd in the county. This can make being in public places somewhat awkward, especially on a college campus (though I don't keep it on in class). Until my FD gets enough money to fix it, I guess I will temporarily have to be a whacker. I do however know a real whacker, or several actually, and some of their more hilarious exploits include wearing their turnout jacket as a regular outdoor coat even though the college is outside our fire district, and changing their car battery in full bunker gear on campus. There is an FF from another department that has so many lights on their pickup that you cant physically see the vehicle, just a blinding flash of blue lights as it flies by at far above the speed limit. Although I'm sure it is good natured, these are the people I am trying to avoid turning into.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
My heavy EMS coat from my old fire dept is the warmest coat I own. Waterproof, Windproof, and zip out liner and hood. can't find one near as good for less than $500.00. so I wear it alot in the winter time; it has reflective stripes but nothing else.

lots of EMS t-shirts, cause I keep getting them for free; but usually wear them with a button up shirt on top, or jacket (makes the whole CCW thing easier).

have a decent Tech kit in my truck, use it alot with scouts, and easier to keep it there than to take it out.

no lights on my vehicles, now or at my old services; although sometimes it would be nice when I stop for accidents.
I do stop, live in a rural area; do alot of driving, in more rural areas, sometimes EMS help is over an hour away, by air.

Pittsburgh77

Forum Crew Member
There's a big difference between being a wacker and being proud of your profession.

-I don't think one should worry about what equipment they carry on them/in their vehicle. Being prepared, even to help outside of the times you're on duty is always a good thing.

MedicineMan975

Forum Crew Member
Man, let me tell you. I feel the same way. I'm not new to this game, going on seven years now, and the people I've met that you are referring to used to make me cringe. But now I've adopted a more Eastern way of thinking. As a Dudeist I can now look at a squirrel and say without hesitation, "F*%# it, man. Lets go bowling." I used to be embarrassed by the Johnny Red-lights and squirrels of the EMS/Fire world. What those that wore shirts stating, " EMS(or Firefighting): It's not a job. It's a way of life!", or sporting trauma shears that looked like they could castrate a bull elephant if the case arose. But now, with my more enlightened sensibilities I'm able to chuckle and just keep walking. Life isn't that hard to laugh at, so why not take the path of least resistance? Give it a try, mi amigo. It sure beats the alternative.

As for the rest, I adopted an Andy Taylor-esque approach to EMS a long while ago. Sometimes less is more. So what if you dont have trauma shears, flash light, pager , etc on your belt at all time? Pockets served many a person well over the years, so why abandon them now. You do your own thing. Let somebody else be Barney Fife, hell if it makes 'em happy let play as Sitting Bull. Just remember to do your job, show a little compassion, and don't sweat the small stuff. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
IMHO a Whacker is much too enmeshed in ego to question if he/she's being a Whacker.

In this respect, you are a dismal failure and do not qualify.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
There's a big difference between being a wacker and being proud of your profession.

-I don't think one should worry about what equipment they carry on them/in their vehicle. Being prepared, even to help outside of the times you're on duty is always a good thing.

I agree entirely. It's those who allow their egos to outweigh their skills that I cannot stand. If somebody wants all the bells and whistles and bright shiny things all over their POVs and on their person, as lame and unnecessary as it is, then let them have it all to meet their heart's content - as long as they know what they're doing when their skills are required.

Like many have said, on this forum or otherwise: "I'd rather work with a whacker than a tool."

Whacker > Whiner > Tool IMO.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
So you want to be a professional?

It is simple really, just be the best EMT you can be and know your $tuff!

OP
OP
Manic_Wombat

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
Thanks a lot guys! that makes me feel a lot better haha. Glad to know where people stand on the issue.