Treating a rapist.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been posed with a question I don't have the answer to as I have no formal experience working with an emergency service.

If your patient happens to be a rapist of someone, anyone, I know your duty is to be unbiased and treat everyone equally, but seriously. How do you do that when you're overcome with emotion and just want to hurt this scum-lord? What do you do in this situation? Someone said "Oh I'd just pour alcohol in his wound or something to make it sting". Obviously, that's wrong but what DO you do?

Same treatment as everyone else. Doesn't matter what they did.

parapaulieFL

Forum Probie
ignore it

Yeah, you just have to ignore it. We have a job to do and we MUST treat everyone the same no matter creed, color, religion, etc. That's why the only history we are concerned with is the medical one. You can open your self up for tons of lawsuits and scrutiny if you are caught being biased.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If their victim needs the same amount of treatment, you bet your booty that I'll treat the victim before the aggressor, just like I'm sure most other people would too.

But, if it's JUST the rapist, then yea, nothing gets changed. I wont be happy doing it, wont make small talk, and wont make them comfortable, but I won't neglect my job.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have not read all of the posts, so sorry if this is a repeat statement. Really, are you sure they are a "rapists"? I don't know how many times I have responded to "possible sexual assaults" (as rape is legal convicted term) and to later find out that it was consensual.

Yes, there is brutality out there, but before judging from the beginning, try not to have tunnel vision and make a wrong assumption.

R/r 911

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
If their victim needs the same amount of treatment, you bet your booty that I'll treat the victim before the aggressor, just like I'm sure most other people would too.

But, if it's JUST the rapist, then yea, nothing gets changed. I wont be happy doing it, wont make small talk, and wont make them comfortable, but I won't neglect my job.

Isnt that part of you job? I echo Rids statement, there are always two sides to ever story.

A pateint is a patient is a patient.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Isnt that part of you job? I echo Rids statement, there are always two sides to ever story.

Comfortable as in making them feel like they are the best person in the world.

No, it is not my job, is not in any job duties I've ever seen, and it holds true for all felonious criminals.

I'm not going to be like "YOU'RE A HORRIBLE PERSON", but uncomfortable silences suffice.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
This IS a repeat comment sort of.

Not only is it proper to treat all pt's the same, it is better NOT to know anything negative about them. whether alleged, real, or even confessed. That way not only are you more likely to act profesionally, it becomes nearly impossible for the patient to successfully sue you for maltreating them due to this knowledge.

Other than perhaps very young children, I guarantee you that every patient, and maybe you and your coworkers, each have some dark episode which could prejudice care by whackers and caregivers on an ego trip. Treat us all as well as you want to be treated. Golden Rule.

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
From what I heard and have seen on T.V & in news paper articles, is that. Sex offenders get it really rough and are frowned upon in prisons.

Why should you be sued and fired etc for treating a pt badly when most likely get the rough treatment in prison.

If you treat a inmate badly s/he might hold a grudge against you and pay a visit when s/he gets out.

Treat the pt hold nothing against them, you will get a bitter taste in the mouth, but in the end as said befor pt care is pt care.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
From what I heard and have seen on T.V & in news paper articles, is that. Sex offenders get it really rough and are frowned upon in prisons.

If the patient is now in prison, that means they have been found guilty and convicted. At the time you pick the patient up at scene, the judicial process is just starting. If you screw up, that patient/rapist may not go to prison.

Why should you be sued and fired etc for treating a pt badly when most likely get the rough treatment in prison.
Those treating the rapist badly in prison will be other prisoners. Do we relate to ourselves in EMS on the same level as criminals?

If you treat a inmate badly s/he might hold a grudge against you and pay a visit when s/he gets out.
They can more easily seek revenge by having their attorney file a complaint against you with PD, your employer and your state licensing agency. Except for some the dumb criminal acts they commit, prisoners turn out to be rather intelligent with the help of a good attorney and a jail house lawyer.

Treat the pt hold nothing against them, you will get a bitter taste in the mouth, but in the end as said befor pt care is pt care.

Agreed, but as for that bitter taste, reserve your judgment until all the facts are in. Some crime scenes are chaotic and appearances can be deceiving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Adding to this, if the sex abuser is treated badly and faces a loss of a limb, permanent disability or even death from incompetence, then they are proven innocent how would you feel. No doubt in my mind you will feel bad on top of this they will further be investigations into reasons behind injuries and that can lead to charges, licenses been taken away etc.

thats just my 10c worth.

cprguys

Forum Probie
Just to add to the Scenario

As a paramedic in Auburn, NY we faced one of the toughest calls involving an ER Nurse. Now we in the EMS community know that we become close to the ER staff since we see them every night we work. A few months ago there was a call of a shooting in a lower than desired part of the city. This rarely happens as we have had 3 shooting in the past 4 years. Upon arrival at the scene it found the victim to be Lisa White, I can use her name because that night her life was taken by her abusive husband. They were in the process of a divorce and had 3 children together who all watched from the window as this all took place. After the shooting her husband left and there was a stand off lasting hours. In the end her husband shot himself in the chest. The problem was that he was not successful at taking his life. The crew that showed up to take care of Mr. White included one of the longest established paramedics in NY. The paramedic knew Lisa since the beginning of her career. This paramedic had every reason to fumble and not try his hardest. However, he treated this killer as a patient and not as a murderer. He tried everything to save Mr. Whites life. In the end Mr. White died. The paramedic with all his experience, and all the tools at his disposal did what we are trained and taught to do and that is SAVING LIVES. LET GOD JUDGE.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
something they don't teach enough in EMS schools is emotional detachment. Some might say it's bad but I'm all for it when I worked on a truck we routinely were call to a federal prison and a type of "halfway house" for "recovering sex offenders." I hated going there but not because of the people I could careless about they're crimes we were called because they were injured / ill and we treated and x-ported. I hated going there because the guards were always very rude to not just us but the patients as well there was one instance where we received a call for a man in DKA and the prison guard actually kicked him in the ribs before we loaded him on the stretcher... I make it a habit of not knowing they're criminal history. Emotional detachment is key especially in my current line of work (line medic in an AASLT infantry platoon) its best not to get to attached to people who may potentially die on you.