Trauma shears for small hands?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm small, but have decently skinny, long fingers. Got some trauma shears to test out, but they're a bit big, like if I tried I could get my large knuckles into the handle and past it. Thumb is a similar situation.

So yeah, hunting for trauma shears.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Have you looked at the X shears? I hear they're pretty good. I use raptors, but they are big.

I'll check them out. I noticed these are rounded, is there any discernible application of the ones with "Hard edges" vs these rounded ones?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll check them out. I noticed these are rounded, is there any discernible application of the ones with "Hard edges" vs these rounded ones?
Not really. I think that's just an asthetic they've chosen to identify their products.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

DrParasite

honestly, I think there are more pressing issues in EMS than what trauma sheers to get, and a comparison is pretty much as waste as it's often a highly personal decision.

I put the topic on par with what lights should I get for my POV, what is the best equipment to carry on my batbelt, and what stethoscope should a new emt purchase. Yes, you can spend money on the stuff (and I have on all three), but in the grand scheme of things, your money can be better spent elsewhere. Not only that, much of it boils down to their individual preference, so I might love something, but it won't work for you.

EMSWorld has some great articles, and brings up some good topics, ones that are relevant to EMS and applicable to newbies in EMS (and yes, I do believe that all their authors should be compensated for their work). And then they post a comparison on the best trauma sheers... The content might be valid, but you can't compare it to an article on patient care, new mnemonics for paramedics, special event EMS, or how stress is killing EMS careers. And yes, the trauma sheers comparison was listed in their tops news when I first saw it.

I regularly check out EMSWorld.com (and the actual magazine), JEMS.com EMS1.com, and EMSDirector (the actual magazine), to see what the latest trends are and see relevant discussions to EMS (as well as see what is on here). Many of the articles I find beneficial; a comparison of trauma sheers, by an author and his daughter, are much less useful.

If you do insist on spending your money on trauma sheers, go to an EMS conference, and visit their expo area;. you will find vendors trying to sell you anything and everything, including trauma sheers. This will also let you actually see how things feel in your hands, and they might even offer it as a lower than listed price.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I love my X Shears.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My x shears were stolen. I have raptors that I won now. I'd never spend money on them.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Honestly, use the disposable ones that are on your box or in your bag. Fancy *** shears get lost or stolen and pretty much guarantee everyone knows you're new.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Your standard cheap shears that most companies provide. Most places have boxes and boxes of them. If mine ever got covered in blood or fluids that wouldnt come off easily, just chuck em and grab new ones. Plus they dull really easily.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I was about to edit my post to say I just saw who wrote it and now I understand. This kind of stuff is not what most EMS professionals are worried about. I hate to say it but vollies from NJ? now i get it. Cool shears and fancy stethoscopes and bat belts don't make you better provider. Really, a comprehensive review of shears? Come on, that's some Ricky Rescue BS.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I was about to edit my post to say I just saw who wrote it and now I understand. This kind of stuff is not what most EMS professionals are worried about. I hate to say it but vollies from NJ? now i get it. Cool shears and fancy stethoscopes and bat belts don't make you better provider. Really, a comprehensive review of shears? Come on, that's some Ricky Rescue BS.
I'm afraid I don't know Ricky Rescue, that reference. I mean, my hands are pretty small, so if I can find ones that I don't have to fight, that's something of value to me. Most guys have decent sized hand, so it's probaby not something that is the average concern.

Not to be all woman crazy and to sob in the corner about being misunderstood.

Regarding the article, someone spent their time on it, thought it was worth it. I don't think it's a lie or harmful, so, I'd say let them.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Ricky Rescue refers to a overeager, usually new EMT or medic, who generally has every gadget hanging out of their million pocket cargo pants and bat belts. They also generally don't know when to shut up. I have had many female partners over the years, including some really small ones and it never really was an issue. But hey, it's your money and if it makes you more comfortable, then go for it.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Ricky Rescue refers to a overeager, usually new EMT or medic, who generally has every gadget hanging out of their million pocket cargo pants and bat belts. They also generally don't know when to shut up. I have had many female partners over the years, including some really small ones and it never really was an issue. But hey, it's your money and if it makes you more comfortable, then go for it.

Ah. Well to be fair, my pockets are always like that. Isn't that right, spare ketchup?

Maybe I am overacting over things. I dunno. But I'm basically large child size unless it's finger length or shoe size. The smallest safety vest looked like bat wings on me. Oh well.

DrParasite

I hate to say it but vollies from NJ? now i get it. Cool shears and fancy stethoscopes and bat belts don't make you better provider. Really, a comprehensive review of shears? Come on, that's some Ricky Rescue BS.
As a former volunteer from NJ, I take offense to that claim. Please don't paint all of us with that board brush. Especially when you consider that the lead author has a doctorate degree, and his daughter was given her first author credit (even though NJ doesn't have an EMR certificate, but i digress). Most of us have 0 desire to read that long of an article on EMS sheers.....

If anything, I would find the fault in EMSWorld, a professional EMS magazine producer, who paid them to write up this piece.

But I do agree, the article doesn't really help anything, other that wasting the readers time.

Hey @DragonClaw go to a store and see what you like. Go check out any fire or EMS conference and look at their trade floor. you can check out numerous toys and see what you want to waste your money on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
As a former volunteer from NJ, I take offense to that claim. Please don't paint all of us with that board brush. Especially when you consider that the lead author has a doctorate degree, and his daughter was given her first author credit (even though NJ doesn't have an EMR certificate, but i digress).

If anything, I would find the fault in EMSWorld, a professional EMS magazine producer, who paid them to write up this piece.

But I do agree, the article doesn't really help anything, other that wasting the readers time.

Hey @DragonClaw go to a store and see what you like. Go check out any fire or EMS conference and look at their trade floor. you can check out numerous toys and see what you want to waste your money on.

Is the a list of conferences or such anywhere?