Transmitting 12 leads

22cent

Forum Probie
I work on the western slope and the 12lead interpretation is added as a criteria for getting a cath lab activation. They will only put out an alert if the Pt isn't symptomatic or they don't fit the risk profile. I think in many cases they wait for enzymes to come back before they move forward.

Bieber

Forum Crew Member
We don't transmit, but we give copies of all our 12 leads to the ER staff and if it's a STEMI there's almost always a cardiologist waiting to see the 12 lead the moment we arrive. Time in the ER is minimal for STEMI's, just about long enough for the cardiologist to confirm the EKG findings we reported over the radio before they wheel 'em on up to the cath lab.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Just started a new job in Denver that doesn't transmit. I guess I will see if that changes my opinion.

It depends on the agency. Most medic programs in CO and employers really emphasize strong 12 lead skills because no one transmits (at least in the Denver Metro area). Calling a false STEMI alert usually results in some time with the Medical Director getting your *** chewed. That being said some agencies that will go unnamed in East Denver will routinely call false STEMI alerts and never hear about it. Denver's system works well but puts a lot of emphasis on Medics knowing STEMI criteria and using good clinical judgement.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown strongly believes in Paramedic-led interpretation of ECG however transmitting it to hospital so they have it is not a bad thing, however you should not be transmitting it for interpretation or relying on machine interpretation.

Somebody should go tell the Los Angeles County Fire Department Paramedics.

HappyParamedicRN

Forum Crew Member
Around here it depends on the hospital. There are one or two that prefer we transmit for cath lab activation.... We also must transmit if we want to give Heparin in the field for STEMIs.

Happy

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Both my 911 services can transmit, the transport company can't. Either way, I call it as I see it, and a copy of my 12/15 lead goes to the ED Staff on transfer.

Locally, hospitals will activate cath labs off of our EKG's, but the docs like to see it to be sure.