Training in VA

mistertheatre

Forum Probie
Hey everyone, right now I'm looking to change careers, and EMS is where I want to be. I'm trying to hunt down any information about programs or schools in Virginia, that offer emt-I cert [then looking to continue on to Medic] any help would be appreciated. Currently living in Alaska, but not sure if I want to go through all my training here if I'm just planning to move to VA. Thanks!

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
If I may ask... what is your ultimate goal?

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
My ultimate goal is Paramedic.

I meant more along the lines of... what do you want to do as a Paramedic (fire service, EMS-911, ER, etc...) and where in VA do you plan on living?

Knowing the specifics can give myself (and others here) a better idea of what to recommend and where to point you.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
ooops

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

mistertheatre

Forum Probie
Fire services.

I'm aiming to land myself in Northern Virginia. Nowhere solid yet, but in those boundaries.

I've also been looking into living in Richmond.

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
Wow, at least I am not transferring from AK. I am in the same boat also. Alpha suggested Tidewater Community College in my post. I know they have a lot of campuses so maybe one might fit in with your definition of "North" VA. They have a nice program it seems. I like the fact they integrate the general education in with the medic stuff. The only thing that sucks for me is I already picked classes for the program here that are specific to the medic program here. Too late to change now..oh well, at least the military is paying for it.

Chrissy88

Forum Crew Member
If you plan on living in or near the Springfield area, you might want to try Northern Virginia Community College-Medical Education Campus.

There's the website if ya wanna check it out..

http://www.nvcc.edu/campuses-and-centers/medical/index.html

I know that you can do a 5 semester program to get to EMT-P/Associate Degree in EMS. It will be a little shorter if you have already completed the EMT-B class and if you already have transferable college credits for English and Anatomy & Physiology.

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
I have noticed that the A&P/Biology pre-req differs greatly between schools. Here in FL there is a A&P specifically only for paramedics, while other places make you take biology, or nothing at all. Very interesting.