Traction splint questions...

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Reviewing for my lecture practicals tomorrow....so I may have a few more questions as the night progresses.

1) In the NREMT skill sheet for Traction Splinting, the last two steps are "Verbalizes securing the torso to the long board to immobilize the hip" and "Verbalizes securing the splint to the long board to prevent movement of the splint."

So I should secure with a strap across the pt.'s torso (across chest)??

And then how about securing the splint? The text book shows taping just below the ankle hitch (essentially across the strap holding traction), but that seems like a precarious area to go running a securing strap across.

-Matt

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would suggest as it is stated, to verbalize that... "I would secure the leg, with the splint to the backboard, with straps and padding"... Be sure to emphasize that you would periodically check pulses, movement, sensation.

R/r 911

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks Rid....I share the same sentiment as you hold I believe. I would at least like to point out where I would secure the pt and splint so that I can promote a sense of confidence that I know what I am doing.

Kinda like actually assessing PMS vs. just verbalizing it.

Thanks for the reply....

-Matt

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
What you posted stated that the purpose was to secure the hip. I would strap across the pelvic girdle. Also, basic rules of splinting should cover you. If its a bone, to the joint above and joint below, if a joint, bone above and bone below. Key points to consider, strap something stable that will eliminate movement. Make sure you are still able to visualize the point of injury and have access to pulses. In securing the splint to the backboard, look for a nice stable point on the splint that can be fastened tightly without compromising access to the injury site.